Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Amazon Alexa

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/14 20:57:13 )
Millet, spilling the tea:

In the middle of the night (I was awake but trying to fall asleep) in a dead silent room came on by her own and said: "Playing Power Metal"

I had to ask her to stop 4 times before she finally listened. (Should have got up and unplugged but I was panicking lmao)

THATS getting returned.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/14 21:02:43 )

Mine is the second gen- im guessing since its an older model she is more inclined to goof? XD

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/14 21:10:11 )
That's terrifying tbh. I heard stories of peoples' Alexas being hacked and playing weird noises, like clips of people laughing and stuff. Thankfully it was just power metal, lol.
pls ping me, ty!!

TURN OFF THE SUN // PULL THE STARS FROM THE SKY

quest | etc

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/14 21:27:04 )
You gotta @Mention me.

If I wanted something that was always listening to me and makes a lot of noise when I didn't want it to, I'd buy a parrot.

Join the Horde. We have bananas. 🍌
Wardrobe/Art Collection

Art by kiwi

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/14 21:32:38 )

Maybe Alexa was a Furby in a past life.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/14 22:10:37 )

@Millet: Haha thats hilarious and creepy at the same time. Mean, mean Alexa. Tsk tsk!

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/14 22:47:28 )
She just wanted to jam. Next time, give her some headphones.
AKA Count Trashula

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/14 22:57:48 )

SirLionelNigelConrad:
It records everything you say and Amazon keeps records of it.

In Germany Amazon sent someone their recordings based on EU law. However they sent the wrong file and let them hear literally everything someone else in Germany said, on their device, in their own home.

In the US the police have been able to get records of what people say for use in police investigation. Everything you say in your own home will be handed to police.

Why anyone would volunteer to have a such a thing in their own home is beyond me.

Source pls

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/14 23:25:39 )
Well, that’s pretty creepy. I would purposely start messing with it. XDD;;

Oh my love, I know you are my candyman
And oh my love, let us fly to bounty land~~

Közi (“Kouji.”)
He/him

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/15 00:22:45 )

Like punish it by forcing it to play Justin Bieber forever?

Always ping me please.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/15 04:12:41 )

Neither of those cases though are or show complete active recording at all. The first one is sound clips. And most of them were him engaging with Alexa. The second one is just a subpoena and nothing more.

Alexas technology has already been looked into and it diesnt have the intellugence to 24/7 record. It uses sound waves to try and identify its wake word which sometimes other sounds might activate it.

Our own devices do the same. checking googles audio history on yourself might spook ya. Its database and sophistication of voice are far far superior than what Alexa can do.
https://qz.com/526545/googles-been-quietly-recording-your-voice-heres-how-to-listen-to-and-delete-the-archive/

False positives (like when power metal came on for me) are what the devices are mostly guilty of.
Amazon’s Alexa technology is designed to capture voice data only after a specific voice command, called a wake word, triggers a recording mechanism. Despite some instances where private conversations were accidentally recorded and uploaded to the cloud, Khanna’s claim greatly overstates things. We found no evidence to suggest the device records every conversation and sends it the cloud. It does record conversations when it hears the wake word, and in some cases the device has misinterpreted speech when people didn't actually say the wake work.

We rate this Mostly False.
-Politifact

And Alexa specifically permits access to our history if recordings too: https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2018/05/28/how-listen-what-amazon-alexa-has-recorded-your-home/649814002/

/which im gonna see now what triggered power metal lol

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/15 04:24:39 )

Return that shit now. That would freak me out so much.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/15 05:19:03 )

I went to click play on the saved audio file for that but it just says "audio deleted, wasnt meant for Alexa" xD

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/15 05:57:37 )
Don't need an Alexa, prolly don't want one anyway...
See what conventions I'll be at next

Final Fantasy XV: Worst. Bachelor Party. EVER.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/15 06:43:00 )

Successfully returned her today. Super buggy. @-@

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.