Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Okay I finished it

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/9 19:27:49 )
Millet, spilling the tea:

Took all the advice from the last thread- I still suck HAHA but for my first 'big' computer piece I think I did...okay???
Especially since I only use a mouse. orz
@Hachi: Here you go

Open for critique- I see the problems- fixing them is the problem /dead

Donator — She/Crazy Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/9 19:31:36 )

Kiwi\'s Posting Contest / Unicorn\'s Posting Contest
(with a referral contest too!)

That does look really awesome! And using only a mouse makes it even more spectacular! Very nice job!

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/9 19:32:31 )

Thank you.

My hand is dying.

Donator — He/Him Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/9 19:39:15 )
oh damn that's really cool~

Ping me!

Hangout

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/9 19:59:50 )

@Millet: You did a pretty good job man! I am pretty impressed with the way you drew hands. I find it so hard to do still.

Always ping me please.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/9 20:25:12 )

I could never do that with a mouse at all.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/9 20:31:15 )

Thanks guys >.<

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/9 20:31:46 )

Oh wait opening posts don't ping. @Hachi: Hi. For you.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/9 20:44:28 )

Millet, if you ever did an auction, I'd be all over that
would have to earn a shitton of volts, though, lmao
it came out amazing :) (and damn even more impressive that you're just doing it with a mouse!)
What program do you use, if you don't mind me asking? o:

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/9 20:47:16 )

@Apollo im burning: HAHA presently I am using the free trial of ClipStudio which...wow is way better than what I usually use.
Like damn RIP when my trial is over.

The background- it auto colored it via suggestion. I just scribbled none sense and it fully painted the background for me ;__;
Didn't work on the characters though.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/9 21:06:54 )

@Millet: I keep seeing people mention that program, but have yet to try it myself, lol. I'm too comfortable with Photoshop, even if I do have a couple of other programs installed on my laptop that I keep telling myself to try... <w<
Anyway, I'm hesitant to offer any tips, since I'm not sure if I'm wording things alright, but if it helps make anything easier, I want to try. So...
Are you freehanding everything, I guess? I'm looking at lines on objects that are generally straight, and notice that your lines aren't? If so, considering Photoshop and even Paint have tools/the ability to keep a line straight for you, I'm assuming other programs would have that. Might be something to look into. But yeah, wasn't sure if you knew that/were opting out of using it or didn't know. o:
Also, that's insane about the background? Super handy, lol. :)

pls don't

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/9 21:15:44 )

Hey great job! I love how much detail you put in, despite having to do it with a mouse. ;u; I'm sure Hachi will love it.

The composition is pretty balanced and the characters proportions both alone and in relation to each other is great. That's a pretty nice hand there too. •́ε•̀ The characters really have a lot of personality and that's often hard to capture. I think you did that very well.

You added a lot of detail to the background, but the perspective needs some work. It might be helpful to look up some tutorials on how to use a vanishing point to achieve perspective. The cool thing about a background like this is that it's a lot of straight edges so you can use the pen or line tool to it's full advantage here. I wouldn't have known you used the auto-color feature for the background either. I haven't had much luck getting it to work myself. XD It's a weird feature I haven't figured out yet, so good job! It worked pretty well! =D

Let's talk about colors! The colors you used for the characters are SUPER dark compared to the background and it makes it a little hard to see the details in the shading as well since there isn't much contrast. One suggestion I have is to avoid using black whenever possible. Even when the character has a "black" shirt, make it a dark grey and even maybe add some color in there too. Like a really desaturated purple or something. You'll find adding a bit of color like that can help with shading. Speaking of shading, it may aslo be helpful to be mindful of where your lightsource is. Even if the room is fully lit, things are going to cast shadows (like hair, clothes, etc.) so think about where those are going to land and it will help give objects a little more depth.

Overall I think you did a great job and I'm looking forward to your next drawing. =) Rest your hands first though.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/9 21:38:59 )

Thanks Priestess & Apollo!

Yeah there were several areas I did not use the straight tool/line correction when it would have looked better and it was
because my layers were a MESS. So when I went to use some in some places it ended up violating a different layer
I wasn't keeping track of what content was in it.

Other places I was genuinely just lazy (the wall cylinders for example) and due to that the piece suffered.

Super good tip on backgrounds though, I wanted a lighter one to contrast but it makes sense that it makes it hard for the eyes to adjust and see the fine details of the dark characters!

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/9 21:42:07 )

Ah layers. The digital artist's savior and saboteur.

I try to just do 1 layer per color and go from there. If I'm being smart I label them, but usually I don't and end up having to click visibility for 20 minutes to find the layer I'm looking for (like a chump).

If we're talking line art, once I get all the lines done I merge any layers together into just the one layer so all the lines are on only 1 layer. That one I almost always label (and sometimes lock) to make sure I don't mess it up.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/9 21:54:42 )

@Priestess of pie: I was able to go in real quick and darken the background! It looks much better THANK YOU
(edited first post)

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/9 21:56:02 )

@Millet: Wow yeah! It really makes the colors on the characters pop.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Voltie — she Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/10 00:25:03 )
I'm not normal...

oh wow. I like! sorry for you hand though v.v

I'm paranormal

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/10 01:31:27 )
MILLET
a-amazing... thank you
HONESTLY?? You drew so many details and did such a great job with everything
And I love the poses. I think you captured their personalities really well!
Thank you for letting me be your first big computer piece

MY CRITIQUE is that you shouldn't draw until your hand hurts
If you're in pain, take a break! And do some hand/wrist exercises.

I'm super impressed that your lines are as straight as they are using only a mouse?? I mean... they're straighter than some of my tablet lines...
Clip has an "extract line" tool, which I think you can use to turn your traditional lineart into digital lineart (wow I wish I had clip...)
If it's easier for you to line on paper than with a mouse, maybe it's something worth looking into.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/10 01:48:11 )

Oh I did use line correction/stabilizer while drawing!

And I didnt want to extract the line art because the hand drawn version the boy had a lot of issues I had to fix-going over it and using the transform tool helped a lot!

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/10 01:49:08 )

And yeah the hand and wrist pain is what created my laziness in several places. /dead

Itd be a whole other week tho if I stopped Every time it started to hurt. My joints are very flexible to a bad extent. Orz

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.