Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Talk me thru this? My uncle is sick, am I supposed to feel sorry for him?

Donator — Bunnies! Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/28 11:28:37 )
Long story but this past year starting from the first Saturday in January has been incredibly strained in terms of family relationships. i.e. I found out my uncle and cousin and my cousin's wife hate me and have done for like 3 years. They were spreading lies about me behind my back, giving me ultimatums and demands, and then simply ignoring me when I didn't listen.

The underlying reason is that my uncle wants grandma to sign her house over to them (now, while she's still alive) instead of 50/50 split with my mom after grandma passes. My mom literally told her brother: LOOK, DEED, WILL, TRUST, says 50/50!
And since I'm primary caregiver for grandma and I live at her house, they believe I'm supposed to do what they say since they believe the house belongs to them (it doesn't).

The fact that I basically ignored their demands means I'm being disrespectful to them and I have mental issues and I need to seek professional help (their quote). My cousin told me as much in his 33 pages of text messages in July. Yes, 33 pages, cuz I printed them out and passed them around.

But in October, my uncle got sudden kidney failure. He seriously almost died, was on dialysis for 2 months, and is recovering. The doctors don't know what caused it, they tested for cancer but the results were inconclusive. So they prescribed him chemo anyways just in case. He's doing much better, is off dialysis now, but it's still unsure at the moment.

My mom almost lost her brother and is suddenly gushing to placate him. She's even considering just signing over her 50% portion of the house to him just because she's tired of fighting. Even tho I'm the one that took care of grandma for the past 10+ years and he did bare minimum like bring her food periodically. We had Christmas dinner and I felt like I was very civil, but she's upset with me because I'm not embracing my uncle and not apologizing to him for all the stress they put me thru. She keeps telling me he's her only brother, how would I feel if I lost my brother?? Well, for one thing, my brother wasn't an @$$ to me. I told her outright I'm sorry uncle is sick but I'm not gonna be all fake and lovey dovey to them. (My dad is on my side, particularly because uncle hated on him too for 3 years as well.)

So, Voltra, any advice? What would you tell my mom? Family is just ugh.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/28 11:39:13 )

You don't have to feel sorry for him. When my mom's mom died she wasn't sad at all. My grandma was awfull and her youngest son was her favorite. He was perfect. Her other son and daughter weren't. She also liked to spread lies and then on her birthday she would act all perfect and kind.

I will would still try and sit down with your mom why you won't be able to forgive him. Talk with her about it in a peace and calmful way.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/28 13:02:49 )
The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb. You have no control over being a blood relation to someone who is clearly greedy, and if anyone ever tells you the half phrase, remind them of the whole. You are under no obligation to be kind to a relative, especially when they are like that.
Item QuestHangoutSales

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/28 15:21:12 )
@eliechan: I'd tell your mom that people do find ways to get sick, or hurt on purpose! Sorry to say this, but it is true! it is only, because they're trying to get what they want a lot sooner.

I have seen people do this before! No you shouldn't feel sorry for someone, who has treated you like crap for 3 years or more.

50/50 is good fair thing for all!
If you can’t say something nice, Don’t say anything at all!

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/28 20:05:48 )
You gotta @Mention me.

Don't let her sign over her half. As soon as she relents to him and gives him what he wants, he will just go back to being nasty.
She can be forgiving of her brother all she wants, and try to make amends with him in other ways,
without giving away what is rightfully hers
or pressuring her husband/children into 'getting along' with someone they do not want to be around.

'Family' only means as much as the rest of them put into it.
From the sounds of it your uncle only knows how to take, so evidently it doesn't really mean much to him.

Join the Horde. We have bananas. 🍌
Wardrobe/Art Collection

Art by kiwi

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/29 05:54:47 )

Your mom is thinking with her heart and not her head. I also suspect that this kind of manipulative behavior is not new and that by giving him what he wants it is perpetuating a very unhealthy dynamic.

Stay calm and logical and hold your ground.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator — she/they Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/3 06:56:51 )

His illness does not erase the negativity he brought into your life.
    Do not feel as though you owe him niceties. You do not.
A reminder to drink water and take your vitamins.

QUEST

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/5 19:42:35 )

@eliechan: don’t give in. Don’t let your mom give in.
I know how hard you have been working to take care of your grandma. I know what you have lost because of it.
Your uncle thinks that he can just bully you and your mom into giving up what is rightfully yours.
He didn’t try to talk it over like an adult, he just tried to use force. That’s unacceptable.

You can feel a little bad for what he went through and still not want to talk to him or still not like him. Totally ok. Human emotions aren’t just black and white.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/30 06:35:47 )
Dont let her give in. Neither of you owe him a thing. As bloo stated, his sudden illness does NOT erase, nor should it excuse him of his negativity and manipulation. I would tell her that he doesnt deserve forgiveness, but thats me. He doesnt deserve it. Id go as far to say he doesnt even deserve the 50% of the estate. Again thats me.
Art Shop
https://www.voltra.us/forum/view_topic/7892 Art Dump
voltra.us/forum/view_topic/7849 Item Shop
voltra.us/forum/view_topic/7944

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.