Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk How do you make friends on the internet?

Donator — he/him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/16 18:02:22 )
Hey all. I'm coming back to the internet after living off grid and letting all my connections die lol and I'm struggling to reconnect and make friends. It seems like people have really moved on. Discord wasn't a thing the last time I was active, at least not a popular thing.

I really miss having friends and am trying to find ways to connect to people, but fandom in tumblr used to be my main gateway and I'm not really into fandom anymore, so I don't know what to do. When I try googling this I mostly get results about how to find romantic interests and that's not what I'm looking for.

How do you make friends online? How do you keep those friendships going? Any sites you use or recommend? Thanks!

Donator — Easterbun Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/16 18:10:34 )
@longbones: i think we all struggle with this--- and that either makes it hard or easy for people to make friends. tbh I'm like the worst person to be answering this since I have lost a lot of friends from the internet a long the way because I have a habit of disappearing. At the same time, I also have experience with rekindling friendships such as the ones I've made on here. These people, the people on voltra, are really understanding and amazing. They will call for you to come back whenever you've gone away in anyway possible. There are no toxic people on voltra. I love everyone and appreciate what they bring to the table. Making friends here is almost an instant thing. Once you become apart of the community, you'll find that people will attach to you based on which forums you post on the most. Based on who you wanna be friends with, they will be friends with you. if you wanna continue friendships i suggest discord or even kik for one on one conversations. you build relationships that way

Donator — he/him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/16 18:13:42 )
@guttedbunny: Yeah I just joined the Voltra Discord and people recognized and welcomed me and it was a really nice experience! Nice enough that maybe I'll change my username back. I have a habit of "rebranding" myself when I come back to a site because I don't like who I used to be, and I guess I should stop doing that lol.

Good idea on kik. I'll download that again and keep it handy. I guess it's all about putting the work in, huh? Pretty daunting to be starting from nothing, but I guess it beats sitting alone in silence all day. Thanks for the tips!
previously keef with a k

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/16 18:20:04 )
Meeting people to talk to regularly and actually connect with has been my long time struggle. I wish I had the answers for you. I wish you luck though, sometimes we forget to put ourselves out there and quietly lurk more than actually participating in the community.

Graphic Artist // I love to draw avatars! // Cats are pretty great.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/16 18:39:32 )
@longbones: Sometimes the barrier to making friends is that moment where no one reaches out or wants to make the first move.
I don't want to be the first to message fearing that people might think that I'm clingy or annoying or fearing that I won't get a reply.
I'm still trying to get over those fears but I'm thankful that my friends do frequently message me first and are comfortable with my disappearances (although I did tell them that it happens) but I'm trying.
I try to send my online friends random gifs and memes that made me smile in the day to strike up conversation. If they don't reply, I try not to be too butthurt about it and just think that they might be busy or going through something and maybe I'll try again sometime else.

Donator — Easterbun Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/16 19:07:22 )
@longbones: no problem man :)

Voltie — sewer rat Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/16 19:12:21 )
bribe them with chicken nuggets

-edit- realized this was in serious talk. oop.
the tips above are all very good. i don't have much to add except be consistent with contact. it shows the effort you're willing to put into a friendship.

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/16 19:36:27 )
You gotta @Mention me.

@GuttedBunny: "There are no toxic people on voltra"
Lol well, there have been a couple I've seen, but very rare.

Join the Horde. We have bananas. ๐ŸŒ

Voltie — sewer rat Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/16 19:49:17 )
Username:
been a couple
? ๐Ÿ‘€

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/16 19:59:32 )
You gotta @Mention me.

@okios: not you, bruh

Donator — Easterbun Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/16 20:03:52 )
@Rallaa: I mean yah but I mean right now there are no toxic people

Voltie — sewer rat Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/16 20:07:52 )
@rallaa: damnit.

sayonara cheesecakes ( 0 ฺกโ‰ฆ)ใ‚žโœฉโ—„-gallery-โ–บ

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/16 20:12:28 )
You gotta @Mention me.

@GuttedBunny: Of the two I know, one was banned quickly cuz they were being a naughty, spammy boi.
The other might still be around for all I know.They didn't break any rules, but they were very rude to myself and a friend. I blocked them so idk what they're doing now, but they'd said they were leaving Voltra anyway. Hope they went through with it.

But yeah, just two out of over 1,000 volties is practically non-existent. (maybe technically 500-800 if we discount mules, but that's still really good.)
Better than Gaia's track record, I'd bet.

Wardrobe/Art Collection

Art by kiwi

Donator — Easterbun Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/16 20:13:35 )
@Rallaa: amen to that. Gaia is awful

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/16 21:01:31 )

@longbones: I remember you had a good sense of humor when we first met on here and I appreciated that. I did notice your absence, and wondered where you ran off to XD I have no doubt about it, you will find an easy time making friends here. Just keep being you.

Always ping me please.

Donator — she/they Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/17 11:27:02 )
How I make friends on the internet:
Someone says something random to me.
I pester them relentlessly until they tell me to stop.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/18 04:20:55 )
Be genuine while also remembering that sometimes we just aren't certain people's cup of tea. Showing an interest in other people's interests is a great way to start a conversation. Just make sure you're actually interested or it's gonna be a lot of work for you. Also, quality over quantity. Make sure you can maintain your current friendships. I find it easier to maintain a few good friends and have a lot more agreeable acquaintances. I tend to get overwhelmed when I have too many close friends and it's hard for me to be a good friend. =(

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/20 03:10:03 )
I mostly make friends through Facebook groups. I play a lot of video games and watch a lot of TV and read a lot of books...so I join groups with people who share my hobby. Therefore we have plenty to talk about. So I just talk with people who have similar opinions on those things, and wind up with friends! I made 3 good ones this year and have become a pen pal (the old fashioned kind) with one of them, even.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.