Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Role Playing OOC in Eberron! A D&D Discussion. [OOC]

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/12 19:52:27 )
This thread is for all OOC chat that pertains to the game.
And to begin with, player recruitment.
There is a bit more info on post 7, so don't miss that.

Main Roleplay thread

As a warning: This game will go slowly.
In D&D, normal gameplay can sometime take hours of real time, just for minutes of in-game action.
So it should go without saying, that playing through a forum, a single scene or fight could take days of real time to play through.
We all have our real life responsibilities, first and foremost.

This thread is not for dice rolling for D&D game purposes.
You may roll dice for fun, but they will not count as rolls for the roleplaying game.

We currently have no confirmed players, and are looking for 2-3.
All skill levels are welcome. Whether you're a total newbie, just a newbie to 5th Edition, or a veteran.
You are welcome to play up to 2 characters at once, as D&D is a group game and assumes groups of 4-5 player characters.
The system is 5th edition D&D, and the world setting is Eberron.

Eberron is not the typical medieval fantasy setting.
It is a more advanced, magi-tech setting with many fantastical locations.
Examples of the magical technology are flying airships, and trains powered by electromagnetic magic.
The major governments of the world issue and recognize personal documents such as identification papers.
Large cities light their streets with ever-burning magical lamps.
Magic is widespread and common, but high forms of magic are still rare, or even unheard of.
It's possible for anyone to know some magic, but they known very limited or specific forms of magic.
As a player character, your magic will be more versatile, wider in scope, and more powerful.

If you do not have the books for 5th Edition D&D, do not fret, I can help you obtain PDF copies.
I cannot link to them here, but if you look for me through Discord, I can help you there.

I Will accept most material for races, backgrounds, and classes that are Officially published by Wizard of the Coast, or their playtest material, for 5th Edition D&D.
For homebrew material, please ask first, and I may green-light the use, or help to re-work it.
Since we are playing within the Eberron setting, you are more than welcome to choose from Eberron specific materials.
Such as: Warforged, Shifters, Changelings, and Kalashtar.

We will be starting from level 1.
All characters may start with one free feat. (For this reason, the Variant Human is not allowed)
Stat array we will use is: 16, 14, 13, 12, 10, 9

You may choose 1-2 trinket items to start the game with. (There is a list within the 5e PHB Pgs. 159-161. As well as other materials released by WotC)
Or you may come up with your own, with DM approval. Examples include: A needle that does not bend, A vial of dragons blood, or The hilt of a broken sword.
These can be mundane but eccentric items, to just barely magical. They are meant to help incite interesting roleplay opportunities.

If you have questions about anything, do not hesitate to ask.

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/12 20:21:55 )
Reserved 2

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/12 20:22:00 )
Reserved 3

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/12 20:22:27 )
Reserved 4

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/12 20:22:46 )
Reserved 5

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/12 20:24:30 )
Reserved 6

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/12 21:07:28 )
Player applicants are free to post now.

Don't worry about posting fully made character.
But if you have a character idea in mind, by all means, please share it.
It doesn't matter if it's formatted to fit as a D&D character already or not.
I will help you fit your character idea into the game world.

I'd like potential players to be capable of finding time to post in the main roleplay thread at least once every 1-2 days, in order to keep the game and roleplay going.

Once players are confirmed, I'd like to discuss character possibilities and how the group of characters will know eachother.
We will be starting in a metropolitan city named Sharn, but the characters may have known eachother before the start of the adventure.
Or perhaps they've just met earlier that day?
Either way, I'd like some characters to have connections to one another.

Donator — Whatever Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/7 23:47:17 )

@Rallaa: Hey there. I saw this thread when you were first making it, and I've been debating whether to post in here or not since then. To be upfront, I'm not sure if this will end up being something I'm interested in and/or committed to. But the game is something I have been curious about, and I would love if you could help me in getting those books so I can decide if this is something I would like to pursue or not.

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/8 00:06:53 )
You gotta @Mention me.

@Quoth the Raven: Yeah, I can help. You're on discord?
You can find me in the Voltra discord. I use the same name here and there.
Just find me and send me a message.
I can send a link to you on there.

It's fine if you're not interested in this forum game. It would work differently from the usual form of DnD anyway.
I was excited about setting this up, but to be honest, I feel like the wind is out of my sails a quite a bit.

But if you have questions or want any advice on this kinda stuff, I'd be happy to help. :vanora_smile:

Join the Horde. We have bananas. 🍌

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/8 00:17:03 )

@Rallaa: So will there be a DM and players like normal? I am pretty interested in this concept as I was thinking about how to make the game work on a forum myself.

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/8 00:24:43 )
You gotta @Mention me.

@Saeyra: Yeah, the idea is that I'd be the DM.

Trying to go by forum, you have to make some changes.
Usually, a player will make all their own rolls, but if we did that here, it would draw things out even longer than they would be just from being on a forum.
Every time a roll would be called for, we'd have to wait for that player to check in, make their post, and do their roll.

So for as many things as possible, I would be rolling for the players.

In combat, for example, the player would state what their movement would be, and what actions they're taking. Whether that be an attack or something else that requires a roll.
Then when I check in, I'd make those rolls for them, (Off site, referencing their character sheets for the proper modifiers) and post the results of their turn.

Out of combat, whatever actions they try to take, if I deemed they required a roll, then I'd also do that for the player.
This obviously would require that the players trust that I am rolling fairly for them.

For some things though, the players can roll without me doing it for them. Like if a player wanted to roll a performance check for their lute playing.
Or if their action involved searching through a room, they could make a roll for an investigation check.

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/8 00:44:59 )

@Rallaa: Well if all rolls would be done here on the forums I think they won't have a reason NOT to trust you. Since rolls here can't be fudged. I am excited to see how this goes. If its doable I might consider joining in. It sounds like alot of work for you though. Good luck man!

Donator — Whatever Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/8 00:46:03 )

@Rallaa: Yeah, I'll message you on there, then.
And I'm sorry to hear that. But maybe there's still hope? I feel like there are a handful of people on here interested in D&D and might want to do this, but just hadn't seen it.

Nevermore

Looking for RP Partners

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/8 01:04:14 )
You gotta @Mention me.

@Saeyra: DMing is a lot of work no matter how you do it. You gotta come up with the content and present it to the players as they go.
And think on your feet if they go in a direction you weren't expecting.
Over forums, where things happens over days instead of hours though, the stress is lessened.
I'm just worried about really good forum RPers signing up and making really detailed posts, and I'm just here like:
"The NPC says this thing, and hands you a paper." *crickets*

@Quoth the Raven:
Well, you and Saeyra both seem somewhat interested at least.
Even if nobody wants to play over the forum, I'm happy to help people with getting into D&D.

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/8 01:36:42 )

@Rallaa: Haha I am sure you will do fine. I think its a really cool idea and I think the fact that it is slower makes the players capable of writing more elaborate stuff. I also think there is a tiny bit more pressure since this is a public forum and people will feel self conscious about their RP quality. Sorry I didnt see this thread until now so I didnt respond sooner. Overall I am really excited and hope you succeed!

(PS: when I was toying with this in my head I thought about giving players a sortof bonus in volts everytime they level up, might also give incentive to come back and keep playing)

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/2 00:32:20 )
You gotta @Mention me.

@octology:
@another movie addict:

I thought I'd ping you both here to the out-of-character thread so we can discuss pre-game things at our leisure.
I'd feel bad to pester you guys at inconvenient times about your characters, or info dumping the setting when you're distracted at that time.

As a quick re-briefing, Eberron is a world where magic is widely known and practiced, but almost no-one has very deep or strong magic.
Even most common people can pick up some bits of magic, albeit usually limited in scope.

Different types of magic infused transportation exist too.
Magic wagons that drive themselves, magic trains with tracks connecting the major cities, magic boats that sail extra fast because magic, and magic flying boats.
Also teleportation magic, but that's prohibitively expensive for everyone but the richest of rich.
Besides, sailing in a magic flying boat is cooler.

In the timeline of the world, it is 998YK
For decades prior, there was a great war between the nations, driving their magical invention, which lead to the creation of the Warforged. The sentient robot people.
And just a few years prior to the start of the game, was a devastating event that became known as 'The Mourning'
An entire country was basically wiped off the map in a great magical calamity, and now that country is covered in a thick fog, with chaotic magic still ravaging the land.
Refugees from the mourning scattered around to the other nations, but most were taken in by Breland. That's the country Sharn is in.

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/13 13:39:48 )

@Rallaa: *places stack of d&d books and magazines on table* you called?

I am actually planning to make an undercurrent thread for dice rolling roleplays. So that you can make the multiple rolls necessary.

Surprisingly with all my dnd experience... I haven't done anything in Ebberon yet. So that bit will be new. But I'm so up for this.

I broke down and made the thread ,so even if you all have already started , you are more than welcome to use that thread. :3 I was already planning to set it up soon because I am planning to make a PTU game. XD

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/13 16:48:12 )

@Rallaa: I think Shadami is right. The undercurrent would be really awesome for this cos its more relaxed about the triple posting rule. I would be interested in playing if you got a group together btw. I have some free time nowadays.

Always ping me please.

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/13 16:51:55 )

Oh that's not exactly what I meant. But that's a good point too xD

I was thinking just for the rolls. And keeping the story in rp.

Currently recovering from large amounts of PTSD. I'll post when I can, please ping for replies. Things are very difficult for me right now.

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/14 06:24:13 )
You gotta @Mention me.

@Shadami:
@Saeyra:

You're both interested in playing too?

Another Movie Addict is confirmed for playing. We've got her character set up.
I decided to use roll20 for the purposes of character sheet and maybe sometimes using it's map,
since players can jump onto the roll20 game anytime to use their sheet and see the current situation on the map.

Wardrobe/Art Collection

Art by kiwi

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.