Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Is your current job *the one*?

Voltie — they/them Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/10 10:41:04 )
Do you feel like you can just spend the rest of your working life there and then retire?

I think this is a thing that the last generation did a lot more than us, and I really wonder why and how. I've had two other jobs before this one, and I absolutely know this is not the company I'll stay in until retirement.

I want to gain more experience in the field right now, because I've seen quite a lot of people leave for better paying jobs with higher positions due to their work experience. How about you? If you think about leaving, what are your reasons?
tumblr.
literally always ping me

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/10 10:59:49 )

My previous job was definitly not the job I wanted to stay in until retirement. It was hard work. The job I now applied for could be the stay until retirement job. But you won't know until you worked there for some time.

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/10 16:16:23 )
I’m going to go with my full-time job for this one, and give it solid OH HECK NO. XDD;;

only I didn't say heck

Oh my love, I know you are my candyman
And oh my love, let us fly to bounty land~~

Közi (“Kouji.”)
He/him

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/10 18:48:44 )
I've been thinking about this since I got my current job. It's my first real job since graduation, and I've been working there for... 3 months?
I love the company and my coworkers, the location is great, and the work is interesting and fulfilling. In a lot of ways, I feel like I landed the job of my dreams, and if I had to work this job until retirement I wouldn't mind. But I don't know if I would be satisfied.

Maybe it's my personality, or maybe I'm too young to be thinking "yep, this is it, this is the rest of my life". I love my job but I can't shake the feeling that something is missing, like I want something more out of it. I'm not sure what else I want out of it though.

If I leave, it's going to be for grad school. But once I get a job after that, will I be satisfied then? Don't know...

Donator — he/him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/10 19:35:06 )
I don't know, I'm a little torn. I applied to my current job when I was homeless, and stuck with it even though it really sucked because the other option was . . . well, ya know, continuing to be freaking homeless. The reason for it sucking was the team I'm on has had a stretch of bad luck, low morale, lots of turn over, everyone is overworked and understaffed, etc. But I stuck it out. I've been here about 4 months now and last month I was promoted to a Lead Trainer and I am now developing a training program for the new hires to make their lives easier.

I'm torn because I am good at this job and I love the people I work with, and I have a bright future here. I wouldn't be surprised if I made manager in a couple of years - that is an insane chance at growth compared to my past jobs and the few other positions available to me in my area.

On the other hand, my dream job is to be a creative person - writing, art, movies - and own my own ranch and help out my community with free food and housing for those who need it. Still, that's something I can do in my own time as a hobby here and there. We'll see how it goes.

Overall I'm going to just ride this wave for a few years and get my shit together. If I end up staying, I end up staying. It's stable, it's fun, it's worthwhile, it benefits people in my community, and I'm already in leadership (3rd in command on my team, really). Why not, ya know?
previously keef with a k

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/12 08:36:55 )
I would say yes, although where I currently am working and living is not a long term option.

(:
I enjoy my field of study and job though.

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/13 06:23:56 )

No, my current job is not that one. I'm currently a temp office worker who is also going back to school part time. It's really hard.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/14 08:47:25 )
Millet, spilling the tea:

I co own a successful business with my fiance. This job is his "the one" but I really really hope it isnt mine. I want to get back to school and my own thing. He has no ability to change but because we work together ALL he talks about with me is work. He NEVER turns the work phone OFF, we have not had a week off in 3 years. Just randomly asking about documents when trying to have a date or just eat (every day several times a day really) it drives me nuts. He needs me there right now, and he'd be a mess without me. He's super against hiring someone else, says if I leave he would do it all himself (RIP his organizational skills are that of a distracted 13 year old.) I am hanging in for now, the business legit falls on me shoulders but I really wish he was capable of separating work and home life to some small degree. He is not. Ive begged pleaded and addressed it to death. It isnt going to change. Id rather him drone about work when im not there involved and cowitnessing. Would make it more tolerable. @-@;

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.