Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat I'm a plant killer

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/13 07:07:59 )
I'm horrendously bad at taking care of plants. I literally killed a succulent in less than a week.

I like how plants brighten up a room and make it feel fresher but yeah... umm I can't keep them alive.

Do you keep plants in your living space, and if you do, what kinds? Are you good at taking care of them? Teach me??

109/500
Thread 6/6

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/13 07:45:39 )
Hello! I love plants
And I keep all sorts at home - succulents, flowers, vegetables.

I've killed a fair share of them as well
But I don't really do anything special to take care of most of my plants.

My number 1 succulent keeping tip would be to be careful with water - these plants can easily die from overwatering and once rot sets in it is pretty much impossible to save them.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/13 09:00:08 )
High five!!!
Man that's why I feel like I couldn't take care of pets by myself... can't even raise a plant successfully...
It also reminds me of that movie 28 days. The guy at the end 'I'll never have a date again' xDDD

Voltie — sewer rat Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/13 18:09:29 )
ya u need a mister/small spray bottle for succulents
i had an aloe vera but then--- gnats so i watered it less to combat the prob but then it died
i also had a goldfish tank w duckweeds and moneywort (which came w/ free nematodes so uhhhhhhhh)

sayonara cheesecakes ( 0 ڡ≦)ゞ✩◄-gallery-►

Voltie — Moody Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/13 20:02:32 )

Batsy Says. . .

a video for you for this particular topic.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY4upseb-aw[/youtube]

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/14 23:54:15 )
I also am a plant killer. My sig other has stopped buying me flowers on Valentines or our anniversary because I keep killing them. Now he buys me geeky things like Sims 4 expansions/video games or figurines, etc. :)

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/15 03:00:34 )
But I did use a spray bottle to water it! I only watered it once in that week before it died...

@MoodyBats: It's been such a long time since I've seen a communitychannel video. And yes, this is me. Don't give me potted plants.

@macsen191: I generally think that flower bouquets are just kind of... meant to die?? I mean there is no way anyone could keep those alive for a while. That's why I consider potted plants to be better gifts if you must give the person a plant, but if that person is me, then... well, it's doomed regardless. Heck I'll take the flower bouquet over the potted plant so that at least the poor thing knows its fate.

138/500

Voltie — Moody Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/15 03:08:20 )

Batsy Says. . .

@Hachi: yeah. I miss her videos so much. :vanora_cry:
Haha yeah. Idk if i kill plants or not tbh. never really had anyone give one to me.
but we've had the same one for over a decade. probably it's as old as my sister and i think we named it
my sister's name too even lol.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/15 21:43:28 )
@Hachi: Succulents need lots of light and well-draining soil. Sometimes even when you give them what they want, other unknown things can still cause them to die. Two summers ago I had one that started to die a couple of weeks after I bought it. It was on my patio getting morning sun and afternoon shade which are pretty great lighting conditions. Don't feel bad, it happens. Sometimes it's the plant and sometimes it's just a fatal mistake on our part lol. In my case, I probably damaged the tap root when I repotted it.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/16 01:36:35 )
@stostina: I honestly think that maybe I gave it too much light. Like maybe it wasn't a good idea to put it on the window sill during that week which also happened to be a heat wave.
I really only have myself to blame for this

@MoodyBats: Haha that reminds me of Charlie, the potato that started sprouting in our pantry so my roommates and I stuck it into a pot of soil. Charlie also died

143/500

Voltie — Moody Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/16 02:16:25 )

Batsy Says. . .

@Hachi: im honestly this plant has been with us for a long time
but might be because its a plant that needs to be in low lighting
which we've done for all these years and we don't water it too much
so it's still kicking.

I think the other plant we had a long time ago name Ivy was the one that died
but Michelle is the one that lived.
I think?

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/16 05:50:18 )
@hachi: Ohh a heat wave.. yeah it could have gotten too dry for too long. I have accidentally forgotten to water my succs in the summer before and eh.. they didn't like it. Don't give up though! ^^

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/16 09:02:21 )
@MoodyBats: I need one of those plants then haha
Could it be possible that Michelle and Ivy switched places?!

@stostina: Ahh yeah I think my main issue is that I can't tell when plants need more/less water/sunlight and when I've given them enough??
Maybe I'll start with... plastic plants...

164/500

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/16 12:58:54 )
@hachi: if you want to try an easy plant I recommend pothos. They tolerate ovetwatering and low light. They are nearly unkillable :)

Voltie — Moody Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/16 22:53:50 )

Batsy Says. . .

@Hachi: Could be but im pretty sure ivy is the one that died because it was much smaller.
and Michelle has leaves for days.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/17 00:32:08 )
@stostina: CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. I will find a pothos and attempt to kill it to keep it alive.

@MoodyBats: Do you by any chance know what kind of plant Michelle is? haha

169/500

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/17 01:22:42 )
@hachi: Yeeeahh! >:D I hope it goes well. Even if it dies, at least it was experience and you can add another plant to your kill list LOL

Voltie — Moody Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/17 02:50:31 )

Batsy Says. . .

@Hachi: nope. i just know it's been with my family for over 10 years lol

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/17 18:52:33 )

I'm not too good at keeping plants alive either, but I love them.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.