Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free
Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/10 22:12:24 )

[x]

Donator — ILOVEPUGS Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/10 22:22:10 )
I don't trust the dna tests because of what the companies can do with your dna o3o

I am not really sure how sites like ancestry.com work and how much personal info you have to give them but that could be something to look in to?

eeee ee eeee smoke weed everyday
(legitimately googled if this was pg-13 appropriate because I try to be a respectful stoner. So like you're welcome teenagers)
Working on a new signature.
PS-I LOVE PUGS

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/10 22:27:29 )
Yeah I don't trust the fine print, like Luffer Nuffer.
My sister found out in which boats my grandparents came to Brazil, so there's something about me xD but we do have a Museum of Japanese Descendents here.

410/500

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/10 22:28:31 )
My uncle is WAY into genealogy. Unfortunately it turns out we aren't related to anyone interesting :/ he went back to medieval times but nothing interesting came up lol. He does it professionally now.

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 02:11:39 )

[x]

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 03:20:09 )
I've sequenced a portion of my mitochondrial DNA for a class before. And it was safe, because the region that we sequenced doesn't contain any personal medical information.

I'm not going to go into the details of how we did it (because it's idk, boring?), but the information that we obtained from that experiment isn't as interesting as information you could obtain by sequencing your entire genome. Like, it can tell me that I share similar sequences with someone living in Finland, but that doesn't mean I'm Finnish. It just means that at some point, me and that Finnish person shared a common ancestor sometime way back in the primordial past. I'm Asian, but that person living in Finland could also be Asian, so really it doesn't tell me anything. It was kind of fun making a phylogenic tree with my classmates though.

But if you were to give a company your entire genomic DNA and let them sequence everything, then... that's a bit more sketchy. It's very possible that they could find something in your DNA that suggests that you are more susceptible to a particular disease, and then leak that information which could impact the cost of your health insurance, etc.

58/500

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 08:50:44 )
We\'ll carry on

I’ve done it on my father’s side of the family. I don’t know much about them and thought that would be a good way to find out a few things about them.
I traced them back to 1744. Until 1910, they all lived near a city in the middle of The Netherlands and only moved a few miles.
Then, in 1910, my greatgrandparents got married, 6 months later they had my grandfather and moved away much further.
Since then, the family has lived in or near a city nearby.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 14:32:45 )

[x]

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 14:55:24 )
We\'ll carry on

@Apollo Im Burning: I know my mother’s side has more internation roots. Some day I will also track down her family to see where it takes me.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/12 00:14:00 )
@Apollo Im Burning: Oh I mean, if it interests you I'll tell you about it! My lack of enthusiasm is just personal preference. I think I would have been more excited if I could actually meet the person whose ancestor I share, but that's not possible haha.

It was a relatively simple experiment, and easily replicable with access to the right reagents and services. We isolated our cheek cells and designed primers to PCR amplify the region of the mtDNA that we were interested in. After that, we sent it off for sequencing. Once we got the results, we used a number of programs (I can't really remember the names, I think MUSCLE was one of them) to align our sequences to a database. And since the DNA in the database was annotated, you could find individuals whose DNA aligned with yours.

Sorry I didn't mean to discourage you from getting the DNA test! I think as long as you understand the risks and read the paperwork, then it'll be fine. I feel that way about pretty much everything I put my signature on.
I'm not an expert, but I can't really think of anything else that they could do with your DNA that would be so bad? I mean if they want to sell my DNA to some scientists who want to study the genetics of some debilitating disease I have, I'm like... really okay with that.

70/500

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/12 12:57:18 )
I went through ancestry.com for mine and I found out a lot of info on my Dad's side... like his great grandma was the first woman to have a motor vehicle in the Shawnee, OK area. My Moms side is a bit shadier.... like I think I found a whole other family my Grandpa had on the side, lol.(Wouldnt shock me or anyone in the family.)

I want to do the DNA stuff, but yet I'm paranoid at what the info will be used for... or whatever. Like what if that gets in the wrong hands or we have another type of holocaust... and the leaders of that get their hands on your DNA and find that your DNA has history of what they hate, etc. (I know, I know I am really really paranoid... but I knew a guy(he married a friend of mine) that if he found out my grandmas last name he would have hated me... and he threatened to blow up my friends car cuz she was with a brown guy and had kids with him(he's hawaiian). Needless to say the friendship I had with the person she married suffered and I am no longer friends with her as he pulled her into his hate filled world.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/12 16:04:18 )

[x]

pls don't

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.