Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free
Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/4 15:24:19 )
Millet, spilling the tea:

(random mini rant)

Client: "Do you accept my insurance it is "This company".
Me: We would need to know more information to look up if your insurance accepts us.
Could you tell me your member ID and DOB please?
Client: Why do you want that
Me: So that I can verify your coverage
Client: That's awefully personal, I don't want my 'information out there'
Me: No one can steal your identity with just your insurance card. I'd need to know a lot more in order to do so.
Client: can't you just tell me if you take "this company"
Me: Every insurance company has multiple "plans". Think of it like Walmart, there are super centers, some located in different towns, etc. What's in stock at one walmart may not be instock at another.It's similar concept. I know "This company" has some plans that cover, and I know they have plans that don't.
Them: How do I find that out.
Me: Yo ucan find that out by calling, but unfortunately I can't just take your word for it. It's required that our office speak directly to your insurance.
Them: That sounds fishy. Are you a real clinic.
Me: Have you ever had a doctors appointment that didn't at some point scan your insurance card?
Them: I filled out the information on paper.
Me: Ok, well you can do that too.
Them: I'm not comfortable.
Me: Then unfortunately I have zero way of verifying that you have coverage.
Them: Why aren't you in the know who covers or not?
Me: It would be much more concerning if I knew all those answers- because that would mean tons of people would have their data compromised.
Them: So you want to compromise just my data.
Me: I'm afraid you're misunderstanding me and I am failing to find a way to make sense of this all. I don't know how else I can further assist you without knowing your insurance information.
Them: YOU CAN TELL ME IF I HAVE COVERAGE. OR WHO DO I CALL TO FIND OUT FOR CHRISTS SAKE
Me: You can call them to find out at any time. But it is required that I personally hear from them that you have coverage. I wouldn't even be able to bill them for your appointment without your information.
Them: Why would you bill them?
Me: ? how would we get paid.
Them: I knew this sounded fishy. Not interested.
Me: I'm really sorry you feel that way. If you change your mind , we're here for when you're ready to schedule.
Them: I am ready to schedule but none of this sounds right.
Me: I don't know what else to say, I'm truly sorry.
Them: really unfortunate you want my information so badly, prob gonna contact the BBB bye! *hangs up*

*one hour later her mom calls*

"I'm sorry that my daughter is a 30 year old dumbass who thought her member ID was her social security number."

Me: I don't have a response to that.

Mom: Understandable, she's wicked embarassed and feels bad though can we get her scheduled and I will happily give you her information?

Me: Yes that's fine.

(( Like it really isn't entirely the woman's fault, our healthcare system is sloppy and almost no one has any idea how insurance works or what any healthcare lingo means despite it being an integral part of survival in the United States and it makes me bitter that we don't educate people on insurances in like- high school. /dead But legit at last twice a month I have a conversation just like this one with a potential patient. RIP ))

Donator — Yes Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/4 17:57:31 )
I honestly lost it at "why would you bill them?" How do people think insurance works lol

Also I'm so so sorry you need to deal with silly people. Especially since it sounds like your potential clients sound really... Passive aggressive.
26 // Michigan // Goat enthusiast
If you don't ping me I'll miss you!

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/4 19:11:29 )
Millet, spilling the tea:

I just am tired of people thinking I'm some NSA agent looking to rob their home just because I need their insurance info to find out if they can get services at MY clinic. Like. You see our reviews. We're the best in the city. that's why you call to schedule with us. *face desk face desk face desk* I'm not some gangster.
A gangster cannot do ANYTHING with your insurance card anywayyyy

Donator — she, her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/4 21:34:02 )
I feel embarrassed because I know so little about my insurance, but I never thought giving that information would compromise me. I'm glad they figured it out though.
Foever in my heart
Spookums 11/25/18
Angus 6/23/19
Mom 6/29/19
Dad 11/29/2021

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/4 21:55:39 )

lmao wow this sounds similar to the bs I deal with at work
kudos to you for keeping calm

@ me tho. | Hangout. | OCs. | Avatars.
looking to buy: ARIES

Donator — - Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/5 00:40:10 )
Even if people don't know all the "insurance lingo", at 30 years old, you should understand the difference between your coverage ID number and social security number.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/6 03:58:03 )
Customer service is the worst job ever... But once you've worked it, you sure know how to respect other human beings cause you know how they've suffered. lol

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.