Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Facepalm.

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/13 17:12:43 )
I recently opened up an RP board, and we have a few enthusiastic members so as far as I'm concerned it's a success, but there's this one person who's just been rubbing me the wrong way since the get go.
  • For one, they have two (pending, unfinished) characters who are pretty much identical. One of those characters is supposed to have the mind of a 17-year-old despite being centuries old chronologically.[/*]
  • Pretty early on, they posted a freaking political video in our site chat. Like, pls, keep that crap out of here. But I don't want to delete it because I'd feel like it's censorship. But at the same time...it just has no place there, and I don't want to scare potential members away. >.<[/*]
  • They post edgy song lyrics in chat, then say, "I think this captures the atmosphere of [Character Name] perfectly". I didn't respond, so the next day, the re-post the edgy song lyrics and say "I think this captures the atmosphere of the site perfectly". Hah, no. No. We're about space. It's supposed to be profound dark, not edgy dark.[/*]
  • They want to create a virtual reality where "good guys and bad guys are placed in a virtual reality school". School. On a site that's supposed to be mature. On a site that's supposed to be about colonising planets and meeting aliens.[/*]
    I want to let people do their thing. That was largely the point of this board. But on the other hand we're supposed to be a mature sci-fi oriented space sandbox. And yet I keep getting the distinct feeling this person is like 15 and doesn't grasp the targeted setting of the site, and wants to do slice-of-life, manga-inspired plots. Honestly sometimes I feel like they're just there to troll me but idk. I'd confront them about their age but it's not like I can prove it one way or another. RIPerooni. Just kinda wanted to complain somewhere and didn't want to do it on RPG-D cause I don't know if they're on that site >.>

please ping me if you need my attention! || stardust || be excellent to each other &hearts;

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/13 17:34:19 )
    We'll carry on

I've been on rp sites and the age your character had to be was actually stated in the rules. They also stated to keep political and religious things out of the chat. When someone didn't, the owners of the site could actually do something about that person.
    Maybe an idea for your site?

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/13 17:39:35 )
    @Tuijp: We do have it in the rules that characters must be at least 17, so that's not really a problem. It's more so a thing that they're going out of their way to create a teenager who isn't actually a teenager, but is also still a teenager. I mean, after centuries of being alive, you're not really going to mentally stay a teenager. You're going to grow and develop. They seem to have an infatuation with teens / school which is why I'm like, hmmmmm.

As for the thing about religious and political material, I'll definitely be adding that (surprised I haven't already tbh) as I never did, but I guess I was expecting it to be unnecessary. Silly me, making assumptions. xD Funny cause they literally just made another politically charged statement and posted an anime MMV. I'm just...so confused by this person. Reminds me of someone I know...

please ping me if you need my attention! || stardust || be excellent to each other ♥
    [ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
    qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/13 17:45:04 )
    We'll carry on

@Vii: add to make the characters a bit realistic. Like with HP RPs, a character can't know spells they learn in the 7th year in school when they're 11, but also a 17 year old should know the basic spells.

Yeah always state everything, even the obvious. There will always be people who see it isn't stated and do what they know they shouldn't do.

Voltie — Degenerate Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/13 18:26:33 )
    it's your rp board, i see nothing wrong with you giving them the boot if you don't like what they do.
    if no one else is acting this way then i'm sure the rest of the people probably feel the same as you do.

idk, i guess i just don't understand rp-forum etiquette because that's not the kind of environment i've ever rp'd in

Voltie — they/them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/14 18:32:09 )
    Did you try talking to them in private? The way you approach this is everything, so if youre calm and polite, you can let them know that maybe their goals and the goals of the RP board they're in are not the same, and that unless what you sell is what they seek (and are just confused), they should go somewhere else.
    Edit: maybe remind them of the RPs setting again just so they know what this is about, and how it doesnt work their way
    Also idve asked about the age first thing, but like "ah, btw, how old are you?" so just casually yknow
    tumblr.
    literally always ping me

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
    Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
    Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.