Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Multi-meal recipes?

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/15 03:04:50 )
I love cooking, but, as I am working a later shift, my husband has been stuck doing food-prep alone. Recently I've made some of my mothers classic "feed an army" meals and storing the un-finalized meals in the freezer for later which is a fantastic time saver because I can sort of make one meal once and have it three or four times. My go-to recipes are Fauxagnia and Frito Pie.
Fauxania goes a bit like this: Cook your favorite noodles, meat, and sauce. Add ricotta to the noodles, then mix in the meat/sauce, poor it all in a baking pan and bake 'till done. Top with mozzarella and Parmesan half way through baking.

SO!
I'm looking for other recipes that I can make a large amount of at a time. Casseroles and the like. I want to eat the same three meals for two weeks if the mood strikes me :vanora_yum:

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/15 07:21:26 )

Any kind of pasta. I usually cook enough of it for a small orphanage and freeze it in portions.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/15 11:57:26 )
Meat stews are cheap and effective because you can use the cheap cuts, and if you add potatoes and carrots its got all you need to live. Plus they keep pretty decent in the freezer.
Alternatively I usually have lots of rice stored in the fridge so I only cook the meat and cut up the fresh vegetables for my meals. Rice reheats pretty nicely in the microwave and keeps a long-ish time.
I have an aunt who makes fried rice once a week and eats that all week, she has meat, vegetables and carbs in there.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/15 14:02:56 )
@Tuijp: There ARE a lot of pasta recipes I don't consider, I'll have to look more up!

@Saeyra: I love stews and meat. I also have a lot of rice on hand. We used to make sticky rice, but they sold it in such large amounts that every time we bought a bag something horrible would happen before we could use even half of it. Had a sewage pipe burst into one, another got filled with bugs... we just accepted defeat :p

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/15 14:28:02 )

@Glume: the easiest recipe I have it:
Dump meat in hot pan and bake until they're all small parts and brown
Cut union in little pieces and dump it in with the meat
Add some salt and pepper and bake it for a few minutes
Throw in tomato puree and a bit ketchup
Mix it all
Done

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/15 15:06:52 )
@Glume: Oh sticky rice!! Yuuuuum! I havent found them around where I live so I havent made any. In some countries its called glutinous rice. I always thought it meant like the sin of gluttony cos it was so good. But it actually just means glue-like. :vanora_xd:

Always ping me please.

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/15 23:07:23 )
As others have mentioned, hearty meat stews are great for this! You can also make a giant batch of soup (chicken, lentil, clean-out-the-fridge, etc) and freeze some portions for later.

Another great idea is making a meat base. Basically just brown some ground beef (or other meat) with some basic seasonings like salt & pepper, garlic powder, etc and freeze in portions for a quick convenient meal-starter to use in tacos, burritos, pasta sauce, sloppy Joes, etc.

Also, rice. It's not really freezable but it keeps for a while in the fridge (a week at least in my experience) and is a cheap filler.

Shepherd's pie is a big comfy meal that freezes well too!

please ping me if you need my attention! || stardust || be excellent to each other ♥

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/16 01:00:09 )
@Vii: Thats a fantastic idea! The amount of ground beef I use is ludicrous. But I loves it. I'm anemic so it stands to reason. I'm pre-diabetic, too, but I know a lot less about how to eat so I just restrict myself from everything.... :(

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/16 01:23:37 )
Yeah, I love how versatile ground beef is--you can do pretty much anything with it! Burgers, burritos, sandwiches, pasta sauce...all the good stuff. cB

please ping me if you need my attention! || stardust || be excellent to each other ♥

[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/16 02:40:10 )
@Vii: Nothing personal, cows, you guys just taste really good.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.