Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat What's your moon looking like?

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 04:49:03 )

@Eruca: lmfao. You were going to ping me just 'cause of my name huh?
Sounds legit. XD
Actually, it's as good a reason as any to start a conversation, to be honest.

But yes. I Love the night sky. Moon, stars, planets. I don't care.
Space = awesome.

(And Luna is actually short for my full online handle - Lunakiri)

Donator — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 04:59:16 )
haven't really seen it lately

i like when it makes my room all bright at night

Ping me!

Hangout

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 05:42:15 )
@Miss Kitty: Yeah, I've searched for about half an hour and decided I've had enough. Maybe another day. :P

@Lady Luna: Some people use space themed stuff just cuz it looks cool (i.e. me). Though I think space is pretty awesome too. Not that I understand Most of it. lol I mean, who really does?
Are you also into astrology or is that a sack of moose droppings?

Good thing you used the shortened form. lol I wouldn't think to associate the moon with Lunakiri. When there are some extra things at the end, it's not the same anymore! xD Ah but you found the thread without me, so it would have all been okay.

@Shark: Oh that reminds me of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd2cBUJmDr8
I don't particularly Like this kind of music, but the imagery fits. lol

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 05:49:00 )

@Eruca: Astrology is ... comical, actually.
'My astrological prediction is that the sun will rise! I say that because Jupiter is in the perfect position with Neptune! YES!'
XDDD

Astronomy, on the other hand, is freakin' awesome. But it's all stars and such. Like the study of 'em, iirc. XD

Unless I got them backwards. LOL

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 05:52:02 )
@Lady Luna: That's my understanding of astrology vs astronomy too. xD
Although one of my friends recently took to astrology as a therapeutic excercise. Helps her think about various things in her life in a manageable way or something like that. Doesn't have all that much to do with understanding the physical universe. lol

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 05:55:18 )

@Eruca: pretty much. I think.

I mean sure. AStrology COULD be cool, but I don't think anyone should take it TOO seriously.
An interest in it, fine.
Letting it rule your life. wtf are you doin' mate?
XD

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 06:00:13 )
@Lady Luna: I mean, if you believe in determinism, technically, the stars kind of Do determine our fate. If you stretch it a bit. xD

It's hard to say what astronomers do nowadays though. Other than monitoring incoming asteroids and looking for earth-like planets... I'm not really sure what's going on in the field. lol Neil Degrasse Tyson seems like he's having a good time though.

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 06:02:34 )

@Eruca: Eh, there's plenty to study out there~<3
So I don't doubt they're all busy at work ^ ^

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 06:07:36 )
@Lady Luna: You're probably right, haha. Especially, if the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate.
All the cool pictures are kind of awesome though! It's like doing a chem experiment on like a HUGE scale.

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 06:12:54 )

@Eruca: Oh hell yeah.
Who knows. Maybe there ARE things like that included in Astronomy! Like... maybe the sciency people (Astronomers, Astrophysicists, etc) DO stuff like that.
I dunno
I never had the brains to get into that field. Lol

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 06:19:02 )
@Lady Luna: We're probably leaking fart clouds into space right now. I bet there are people who are studying that. xD Seems crazy enough to be true!

I almost took an astronomy course in undergrad. In a cruel twist of fate, there was a schedule conflict and I couldn't. :( Now I can only understand what Neil Degrasse Tyson decides to tell me. lol

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 06:22:03 )

@Eruca: Oh probably. Lol.

Did you know there's an area in space, a nebula I think, that apparently the science states tastest like Raspberry... Rum I think

Voltie — Obnoxious Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 14:16:28 )
@miss kitty: https://www.google.com/sky/
^probably what you're thinking of ^^
"@eruca: We're probably leaking fart clouds into space right now. I bet there are people who are studying that. xD Seems crazy enough to be true!" <---- Maybe if the atmosphere wasn't a thing? (Or Gravity for that matter) o.o
@lady luna: Wouldn't surprise me, They use spectroscopy to determine the chemical makeup of the nebula and probably just providing an easy to understand example ^^

But majorly conflating astronomy and astrology as the same thing, They're not.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 15:35:26 )
I'll have to take a peak at it later tonight!
call me grem
they/them

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/26 02:01:33 )
Today's skies are cloudy and dark again over here. Been raining all day again. Y'all will have to keep an eye out for me.

@Jazz: What's at the edge of the atmosphere separating terrestrial gases and the rest of space? Gravity will only exert so much force on things that have so little mass, so it's possible that farticles makes it back into outer space. Maybe even in the same form it came out of somebody's butt. Very unlikely, but possible.

@Lady Luna: Oh yeah, I've heard of that before... vaguely. I take it as very indirect evidence that we Are really all made of stardust. xD Incidentally, I'm going to a public lecture on exactly this topic in about 2 weeks. Really looking forward to it.

@nyreen: You simply must!

Voltie — Obnoxious Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/26 02:10:32 )
"@Jazz: What's at the edge of the atmosphere separating terrestrial gases and the rest of space? Gravity will only exert so much force on things that have so little mass, so it's possible that farticles makes it back into outer space. Maybe even in the same form it came out of somebody's butt. Very unlikely, but possible."

Nope, Nothing without substantial energy is leaving our atmosphere.
The exosphere (Ancient Greek: ἔξω éxō "outside, external, beyond", Ancient Greek: σφαῖρα sphaĩra "sphere") is a thin, atmosphere-like volume surrounding a planet or natural satellite where molecules are gravitationally bound to that body, but where the density is too low for them to behave as a gas by colliding with each other. In the case of bodies with substantial atmospheres, such as Earth's atmosphere, the exosphere is the uppermost layer, where the atmosphere thins out and merges with interplanetary space. It is located directly above the thermosphere.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/26 02:31:09 )
I've waited so many days to (remember to) see the moon for this. It was still day when I looked, so it was a shiny blue boy tonight. 3/4ths exposed to the world, and very dreamy.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/26 03:08:48 )

@Eruca: damn. That's bound to be a fascinating lecture!

My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
If you do art, PM me

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/26 03:47:38 )
@Jazz: Yes, but some particles can acquire enough energy to leave the atmosphere. I raise you this page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_escape#Dominant_atmospheric_escape_and_loss_processes_on_Earth
Just because something is very unlikely/slow doesn't mean it's impossible.

BTW is the moon out and about where you are?

@Glume: What a lovely description! Sometimes I can see the moon during the day for days in a row and it's always a treat.
I hope you'll remember to share with us your observations again another time!

@Lady Luna: I expect so! I'll let you know how it goes if I can remember to go. :P It's the day before I have to travel for a conference.
Ping me

Voltie — Obnoxious Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/26 04:21:44 )
@eruca: That specifically mentions hydrogen and helium, The two lightest elements. A Fart would contain sulfur and carbon as well.

Fairly cloudy
https://www.moongiant.com/images/today_phase/moon_day_WaxG_75.jpg

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.