Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat What's your moon looking like?

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/23 06:32:50 )

There's an old chinese poem that said that
(I paraphrase) even thousands of miles apart, we see the same moon. How'd they figure that out without the internet?

Anyway, luckily for the clear skies tonight, I'm seeing a beautiful, bright half moon, tilted about 45 degrees clockwise. That's got to mean something in astrology, surely? Regardless, I enjoy looking at it very much.
What are you seeing?

Donator — he/him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 16:32:28 )
Cool idea for a thread! I'll have to take a look at mine tonight and get back to you!
previously keef with a k

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 17:24:20 )
@keef: That'd be lovely! I'd appreciate that! I forgot to look out the window meself last night.
It's going to be rainy here tonight so I'm not sure I'll see the lady luna, but no harm in trying.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 17:48:14 )
@Eruca: The Chinese are very well versed in astronomy and their entire calendar is based around the moon so they pretty much know what the moon looks like everyday and they have known for thousands of years.

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 18:30:18 )
@Saeyra: Why did you tell me that?

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 18:46:33 )
@Eruca: Because you asked how the ancient Chinese knew it was the same moon without the internet...

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 18:57:50 )
@Saeyra: First of all, I appreciate you trying to help.
Second, your response didn't address how they could have figured out that people in different locations were looking at the same celestial body. Yes, no doubt the chinese did closely observe the moon for thousands of years, but do you see how the question you answered was not what I asked?
Third, it was a joke. I've been told I have a peculiar sense of humour so I hope you won't hold it against me for not appealing to your tastes.

I'd be glad if you would look out your window and observe the moon one night and tell us about it, much as the ancient chinese have done.

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 19:07:32 )
@SirLionelNigelConrad: Look, can we put the passive-aggression away? I started this thread so we can moon gaze as a community, not to talk about another thread. You're welcome to participate too.

I'm politely asking you to be on topic.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 19:14:20 )
@Eruca: The Chinese also traveled alot and I guess they compared the moon to the calendar from China that they brought with them. The calendars predicted what the moon would look like on any given day so its not that hard to figure out that it stays accurate no matter the distance. I just answered the question in the topic because I thought you wanted to know, sorry if I misunderstood.

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 19:27:14 )
@Saeyra: I imagine it would have been easier for them if they could compare notes like us! Haha.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 19:31:23 )
@Eruca: They probably did compare notes with the traditional post system. Or maybe when they got back home. You are right, the internet makes alot of things easier, especially learning new things, wiki is your friend. :vanora_smile:

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 20:01:22 )
@Saeyra: Sounds like wiki has been your friend too. :P

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 20:09:12 )
@Eruca: Yep its my primary source of learning new things. I always have at least one tab open in wiki. Right now I have two. :vanora_smile: Keeping my brain nice and healthy with brain food. I highly recommend it.

Always ping me please.

Donator — Puzzling Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 03:57:53 )

I like looking at the moon too ^^ Though, to be honest, unsure of what it currently looks like as I am too comfy to get up and check...lol
Would love to be able to take some nice pictures of it, but my phone camera lacks what quality camera's can do. Maybe one day lol

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 04:03:56 )

@Eruca: What's my moon look out?
That is a very good question
It's too cloudy to see it tonight DX

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 04:16:44 )
@Miss Kitty: Oh man! I thought there were these websites that shows live footage from telescopes or at least simulated your night sky but I can't find any of them! >.< I'm convinced they exist...

@Lady Luna: Hey! I was just thinking of pinging you. c: It's quite cloudy/rainy here tonight too. Unfortunately, I'll have to report a rather dark sky tonight. :P

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 04:20:38 )

@Eruca: Oh? I suppose I stopped by at the perfect timing. XD

And awww. Dark skies suuuuck
Although when it's rainy (as it has been all day here) it be absolutely gorgeous if you see some of the moonlight through the clouds, just lighting up that area, kinda thing.

My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
If you do art, PM me

Donator — Puzzling Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 04:33:42 )

@Eruca: What!? Really?! I have never heard of such a thing. That is so mind boggling. Technology has come such a long way!

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 04:40:37 )
@Lady Luna: yes definitely saved me from the awkwardness of "hi uh, we've never talked but I just assumed by your username that you might be interested in this". Do you have a habit of looking at the night sky after all?

I can imagine what you are talking about right now, I've seen it before, it's beautiful. And mentally, I hear Debussy's Claire de Lune. It's so corny I know.

@Miss Kitty: Indeed it has! It's like google earth but for the sky (I think). I'll be sure to pass the site along if I find it again.
Ping me

Donator — Puzzling Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 04:41:57 )

@Eruca: I'd google and look for it, but you know, I just can't be bothered. Maybe I'll search Yahoo...

|

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.