Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Thinking about trade school/apprenticing

Donator — he/him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/10 10:15:31 )
It’s time for the ol keef train to further himself, and I’m looking at being an electrician via an apprenticeship. The ones i’m looking at pay you for your time as they train you for 3-5 years, then you enter the workforce as a journeyman and your rate of pay goes up (doubles or more in some cases). I think it would be a fun job, and i’m freakin tired of being poor. Once I got working I could look into finishing my 4 year degree and teaching, but for now I need something more stable and fulfilling than juggling multiple minimum wage part time gigs. And heck, I might just like being a tradesman and working on my art as a hobby. Electricians make bank! I could buy a lot of art supplies!

Thoughts? What’s your career if you have one and how did you get there, or what are you thinking about for a future job?
previously keef with a k

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/10 10:45:14 )

That reminds me of my cousin's boyfriend. He worked a few weeks with an electrician and thought he was fully trained.

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/11 03:36:32 )
Entering a trade is honestly a great way to go! Everyone is always force-fed the COLLEGE COLLEGE COLLEGE objective, while that isn't really the best route for some or all.
Electricians do make excellent money, and enjoy good job security--after all, EVERY one has electricity in their homes aside from the Amish. And some very select people. But you get my point. 8D

I say go for it! Seems like a promising opportunity for you!

[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/11 03:39:20 )
@keef: Do it! It's good work and people always need electricians! You can be your own boss or work for a small, local place and have a lot of freedom with the work.
call me grem
they/them

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.