Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Entertainment Old Anime!

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/10 23:26:23 )
I remember when I was big on Sailor Moon and cried getting a DVD from good old Blockbuster because it was subtitled and I wasn't very good at reading yet. And I wasn't really aware/comfortable with subs back then, so it was like "W-wait these aren't words I know what!?"

Dragonball I was big on when I was young, but I never seemed able to get into DBZ as easily. Mostly because I was biased and missed tiny Goku. I only really remember a couple Gundam series I watched... I didn't watch the notably older series, I think.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/10 23:33:53 )
o v o

Haha, that's unfortunate. I got one anime related video at Blockbuster and it was Princess Mononoke. I was... maybe 7, and the cover looked nice. Thankfully for me it was English dubs. Keeping up with subs would have been difficult because I wasn't a fan of them at that point, either. @_@

Yeah, Dragonball felt a lot more engaging to me looking back on it. DBZ is a lot of repeated gimmicks with space invaders and all whereas DB felt like more martial artist oriented fun. I especially liked all the tournament style episodes. DBZ didn't seem to have a lot of that in comparison.

Gundam was really entertaining for me, and made me watch Gundam Wing which is also super good. C;

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/10 23:43:08 )
@Dowan: I think my Miyazaki film was Kiki's Delivery Service. I remember trying to watch Princess Mononoke but I wasn't able to handle it honestly. >w< I may be able to nowadays, however. I'm still better at reading the more scary things than watching. Like Elfen Lied- I can't imagine having watched it when I was young or even now most likely. But it was a great read!

I have never actually gotten to trying Gundam Wing yet. Oops.

I'd like to try some older Pretty Cure in the future. Which I just realized sounds really funny... 'Older in the future'.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/10 23:50:31 )
o v o

@Juneberry: Ah, I see! Kiki's Delivery Service is really good. No shame in backing out of something if it makes you uncomfortable. There'll always be other content you can enjoy. C;

I used to be obsessed with the idea of an older Pokemon. I read a fanfic called Pokemon Master by Acey Sanchez, and it changed my perspective quite a bit. It's also the piece that got me into writing. ;o

I also read above you're into Detective Conan, and... it pains me to admit, but I recently watched 795 episodes. It was last year or so? It's like crack, man. That anime is so good, and I can't wait to see where it's going. The darker story eps are my favorite. @_@

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/11 00:03:18 )
@Dowan: I mean, Pokemon itself is an old franchise at this stage. So is Digimon, for that matter- I still need to catch up with my friends on the Tri marathon we'd been doing (I missed last session so I'm like one movie behind). I have to find that fanfic now just for curiosity~

Detective Conan really was like a drug for me as a youngster! I still watch the movies in recent years once in a while. I also own 99% of it I think in regards to the manga. Takes a lot of space, I tell you. I don't know why but thinking about that also reminds me of when I watched DNAngel when I was younger... Perhaps because I like to imagine how the titular detective of one would deal with the magical thief of the other. I mean Conan's seen some weird stuff naturally, so... How would his logic vs. the weirdness he's been through interact with a magical thief stealing art with magic in them?

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/11 00:25:34 )
@nyreen: Elfen Lied
its nothing a kid should watch but its def the anime that stuck in my head
except it ends waaaay earlier than the manga and it makes me sad :(

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/11 00:48:52 )
@Ina: A lot of anime do that. Like Fruits Basket drove me nuts with it! >w<

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/11 02:13:04 )
@Ina: Holy shit, I watched that too! It was super good.

@Juneberry: Did you know they're finally dubbing all of the Sailor Moon episodes they never did? And redoing dubs? Apparently.

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/11 16:52:53 )
@Juneberry: sadly xox which is y I prefer manga tbh

@nyreen: IT IS
I RECOMMEND THE MANGA
IT'LL TESR UR HEART OUT

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/11 17:58:25 )
@Ina: UH OH. I'll have to find it somewhere! I remember the anime being super intense and emotional and very sad. I remember bits and pieces but not everything since it's been years.
call me grem
they/them

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/11 22:18:42 )
@nyreen: o ya the anime was just the tip of the iceberg
literally in this case
the anime is p loyal to the manga, just cut of short.
i wonder if they were planning on chopping it into seasons or something cause there was an OVA which was what would actually be next if they continued the series lol
i should re-read it again
maek me cri
9000/48000 volts!
PING me :vanora_smile:
Some sick dungeon beats
i want to rp! (ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/18 23:00:42 )
@nyreen: omg no I didn't!! That's epic news <3 I still want the news of the original Cardcaptor Sakura being dubbed without cutting out half of it like America did :'D They just stopped partway through I swear.

@Ina: I tend to prefer the manga too, but some series have such epic anime I somehow end up preferring them. It varies a lot. But usually I'm more attached to the manga. Plus I can read things faster than I watch them.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.