Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Welcome Committee A new berry in the snack aisle

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/1 21:59:01 )

@Juneberry: hoping on some warmer weather

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/1 22:00:06 )
@Tuijp: If you want overly warm weather move to Arizona. Or this weekend, New Jersey might be okay... But NJ sucks. I know from experience.

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/1 22:05:06 )

@Juneberry: I'm happy with almost any place, as long as it's 50 or warmer

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/1 22:06:53 )
@Tuijp: Assuming you mean Farenheit... Come here. Visit my NJ garbage hole.
I may die in June in Arizona 'cause it'll be average 102 degrees. But it'll be worth it.

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/1 22:19:07 )

@Juneberry: yes, because 50 Celsius would be way too warm. That way, I'd melt in minutes.

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/1 22:21:35 )
@Tuijp: I mean sometimes I feel like I'm melting at like 70 and that's legally what our apartment has to be xD

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/2 01:52:24 )
@Juneberry: Huh! I don't think I'd ever eaten a juneberry before. Or noticed them growing. They're supposed to be native where I live, but I'm not so knowledgeable about plants and foraging. :P Maybe in one of those fruit punches with mystery mixed berry flavor. xD
As for my name, this was a character I made for a Dungeons and Dragons game. lol. Thornberry is a suitably adventurous (randomly generated) name for a Halfling and her creation just happened to have spanned the end of June and beginning of July.

Well, rather than it being DNA specifically, it's probably whatever our body secrets that contains self-identifiers. Those markers are supposed to tell the rest of our body that it's either a part of us, or came from us so it doesn't get attacked by our immune system. The point is, they're shaped by our DNA and so it's unique to each person (except for identical twins, maybe? I'd never smelled identical twins), and apparently it's supposed to help us avoid mating with relatives too. So it's not completely useless to smell DNA, however indirectly.

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/2 10:53:12 )

@Juneberry: they tell you what temperature your apartment has to be? Why?

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/3 02:12:15 )
@June July Thornberry: I only know they grow in my area at all and have only tasted it because they were shown to me on a guided nature walk once. I also got to eat raw mustard leaf there. And rose hips. It was like a decade or so ago. Time has flown fast. I haven't had it since then honestly, but... Think similar to blueberries? That's how I've seen it described: "Like a blueberry, but better."

I see! I play DnD only recently myself. I'm playing a High Elf with a not-likely-fitting name, but meh. xD My poor DM has to deal with sooo many questions on my part. Also I'm that one idiot who opted to play a Druid with horrifyingly low wisdom. But it's fun~ And she's easy to play so far because I'm used to being oblvious and for some reason I chose that. (She's based on characters I play in MMORPGs honestly) Also she's dead already 'cause we're playing a campaign where we're all dead pirates trying to escape the underworld.

That really is an interesting piece of info! Mind if I share it around my writing circles? I can't help but wonder if that should be a concern if I can't smell it anyway... But... I mean, I know most of my relatives... I think. I can't imagine anyone in my family smelling good anyway. Especially me and my dad. We sweat a lot. I already worry for my boyfriend's future having to deal with me and how many showers I might have to take so he can. Though I'm not sure he has great smell either... But he's better than me >>

@Tuijp: In New Jersey there's legal requirements for minimum temperature and things like that that the landlord has to keep it. If a health inspector ever came, they'd be sued. Our heat happens to be too strong half the time though so right no for example it's freaking 75 degrees in here. Turning it off tends to be a good aid. Or opening windows... which I can't think about without laughing right now still. I'm horrible xD

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/3 05:29:19 )
@Juneberry: Oh yeah, raw mustard leaf! We got those here too. And some other tree that's edible... sassafrass, maybe? I guess we mostly leave the junberries for the birds. lol. I am very distrustful of random berries I find on the side of the road anyway, and irrationally afraid of insects entering my oral cavity.

That's sounds like an amazingly fun premises for D&D.

Sure, share it with your writing circles, it's scientific fact anyway! TBH, I don't think you're missing that much by not being able to smell other people. Most people don't really pay attention to it, and as a society, we work really hard to smell like commercial products anyway. Some of the products are so unpleasant, I'd rather not. You got one leg up that way!

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/4 22:04:16 )
@June July Thornberry: I mean, you probably *should* be extra distrustful of things on the side of the road. I also learned about a type of tree that has like... vines or something that touching is extra dangerous. My guide was the first case since colonial times to need medical treatment for it...And kept scars from the boils and whatnot. So I'll trust him and not touch things randomly. By not really going outside but still xD

It really is a neat premise, yep! Just don't touch the water. Seriously, you'll regret it... by burning.

And true, I do get a leg up there. I also can easily ignore skunks. Now if I just didn't choke on aerosol... xD

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 01:43:47 )

Hey welcome to Voltra. I really like your username!

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — BetaTester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/6 04:49:23 )
Juneberry:
Hi there! Juneberry here, brand new despite having awkwardly lurked for a short spurt of time. I'm a writer and an editor, and I stink at deciding what to tell people about myself besides that.

Oh, also, I have a favorite question to ask people: "What's your favorite smell, described as you would color to someone who's never been able to see them". I have congenital anosmia and won't understand if you don't do it that way... though it's quite hard, and honestly just fun to watch people try.

Other things I like include cows, sweets, video games, and generally cute things... And randomness.
So, without further ado... nice to meet you?

Hi! Nice to meet you too and welcome to Voltra. I hope you like it here. See you around.
Current avatar: Emmett Khan, Master of the Golden Keyblade.

Do you play RuneScape?

My DeviantArt Gallery:
EmmettKhan.DeviantArt.com

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/6 14:29:08 )
@Juneberry: LOL modern medicine might have made the evolved behaviour of avoiding suspicious things on the side of the road obsolete. xD But to avoid the pain, yeah point taken.

How hellish!

LOL Fairly sure you're not meant to inhale aerosols.

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/10 22:52:54 )
@June July Thornberry: Um I mean like oust spray used to get rid of odors, lysol sprays being in the same room as me recently used, etc. xD

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, as always~ I see lots of friendly faces today too~

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.