Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Welcome Committee A new berry in the snack aisle

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/29 02:50:20 )
Hi there! Juneberry here, brand new despite having awkwardly lurked for a short spurt of time. I'm a writer and an editor, and I stink at deciding what to tell people about myself besides that.

Oh, also, I have a favorite question to ask people: "What's your favorite smell, described as you would color to someone who's never been able to see them". I have congenital anosmia and won't understand if you don't do it that way... though it's quite hard, and honestly just fun to watch people try.

Other things I like include cows, sweets, video games, and generally cute things... And randomness.
So, without further ado... nice to meet you?

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/29 02:56:41 )
Welcome to voltra, there is an event going on right now

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/29 03:01:26 )
I see! I should go read up about it. Thanks Unicorn-person! o3o

Donator — Puzzling Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/29 03:09:26 )

Hi there! Welcome to Voltra (shhhhh xD)
What is my favorite smell...This is actually easy for me to explain. Its my grandma / her house. Not even I can tell you exactly what it is, so this works out great :P Its smells of...home, comfort...its gentle, nothing strong or overwhelming. The 'just right' kind of smell. The kind of smell you recognize right away and it makes you smile and feel at ease. Thats what mine is ^_^

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/29 03:14:26 )
@Miss Kitty: Errr I'm 99% sure that's not the name of this site. I think you did that on purpose to vet me though. 'cause your name is certainly familiar (though to be fair...Cats aren't that hard to find in the world huh?)

I like your example! I wonder if you love that smell because of memories from being in the home that make you happy~? They say smell is linked strongly to our memory after all... which is what I assume is why mine stinks.

Donator — Puzzling Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/29 03:20:24 )

@Juneberry: WOW!! I have...100% failed that. Sorry I was just talking to someone about that site and so it must have still be on my mind as I was typing to you lol My bad xD
And Yeah, I believe you are right about the memories thing. Strange how smells can do that. So can you not smell anything at all, or are there like...really strong stuff you can smell? I have a friend who's taste is gone, and while she can't taste anything, she said something about spicy food..not sure if she can taste it exactly but because its a 'strong' taste, she gets some sort of feeling over it i guess.

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/29 03:23:06 )
@Miss Kitty: Hehe I was sure it was meant to be a trap. I like your reason way better... Though it's fun to find out we probably met at one point ages and ages ago! :'D And sadly no strong smells affect me any more than weak smells. You should laugh with me at how many times I hear people complain about gas, skunks, etc... and I just stare at them wondering what's wrong.

When asked, I say my favorite smell is skunks just because people's reactions to the smell are hysterical to me since it isn't effective on my at all xD

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/29 03:24:26 )
Nah everyone has problems remembering stuff. I have to write most things down or I forget them. Life has too many little itty bitty things that need to be remembered and it adds up, people's birthdays, anniversaries, shopping lists, recipes...etc.

My favorite smell..hmm its this little white flower called Jasmine. The smell is really strong compared to the size of the flower, it smells sweet like sugar and abit tangy like a lemon, with a slight warmth that reminds me of a sunny day...hmm it also makes you feel a little woozy and fuzzy if you sniff too much of it, but passing by a bush just gives you like a nice pleasant aura of the smell. It was my dream to plant it next to my bedroom window and smell it all the time.

Donator — Puzzling Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/29 03:26:29 )

@Juneberry: I do get a feeling I've seen that username before, so maybe we have ^^
LOL That has to be entertaining. I'd be doing that to soo many people :x

|

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/29 03:28:08 )
@Saerya: No I mean I can't remember things I talked about two minutes ago half the time. My ability to remember names varies drastically, and birthdays...
Well, let's just say I only finally memorized my boyfriend's birthday this past month, and we've been together since autumn started. :'D
Also, how do you pronounce your username?

And I like that description! It paints a clear picture... and kinda makes me want to plant some too. I find lavender relaxing- shockingly, smell may not effect me, but I can still get use from aromatherapy (there's a scientific reason, too!)

@miss kitty: I mean I only do it when people ask me. What's weird is how often it happens... especially after I ask and explain my question to them xD

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/29 03:39:13 )
@Juneberry: Haha I dont find your lack of memory about things that happened two minutes ago unusual. I know some people like that. We end up in the strangest conversations and keep asking ourselves "How did we even get here?" As a kid I used to memorize lots of phone numbers and e-mail addresses but now I can't. Maybe cellphones have spoiled me. And yeah I definitely think Jasmine is worth it if it grows where you live because it has alot of blooms even if you can't smell it they are pretty to look at like little white stars. Its a creeping vine too if you like that sorta thing.

My name IRL is Sarah and so many people pronounce it differently with different accents. I just sorta spelled it differently based on the way my hubby says it cos I liked it best. You can call me Sae for short or pronounce Sarah whichever way feels natural to you :vanora_smile:

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/29 03:41:42 )
@Saeyra: But if it's how he pronounces it, isn't there a special way? I'll probably go with Sae, though.
I actually love creeping vines. I'm not sure why, but vines always captured my attention a lot. Though, my favorite flower is apparently pungent or likely to be so since it's a corpse flower... and it's named based on it's looks colloquially: spider lily.

You wouldn't think I'm not a big spider person with that in mind.

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/29 03:47:16 )
@Juneberry: your welcome -goes back to making breakfast for dinner-
If you can’t say something nice, Don’t say anything at all!

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/29 10:49:40 )
@Juneberry: Its okay I cant hear you from here XD its Sae-rah. The Y is a gentle Y.

I have actually seen a corpse flower in real life. Its massive! Haha not exactly a garden plant. I used to have white spider lilies near my home and they smell really good, very sweet. I never used to water it or anything, they are just a sturdy breed, bloomed once a year I think.

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/29 15:55:30 )
Scent memory is actually the strongest kind of memory; you'll remember someone's smell much stronger than their face or voice. My favourite smell...gosh that's a hard one. I love the smell of food cooking LOL...but also of my boyfriend, and of clean sheets...not really sure how to describe those things.

Anyway, welcome to Voltra! ^-^ Things have been kinda slow on account of the site lag but this place is usually hoppin'.

[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/30 00:33:44 )
@Saeyra: The term corpse flower is actually a colloquial term for a broad range of flora. The one I like, the spider lily, has many names- its scientific name is lycoris. You probably have seen it in books at points used as a symbolism bit. They're often also called hurricane lilies because they bloom after catastrophic storms~ Most of the time a flower is called a corpse flower because of the smell I think, like that one in the big garden in NY that only blooms once a year or something. It smells like a corpse, so they call it that. I wanna see it in person since I wouldn't smell it either xD

@Vii: I've heard that's the case, but what if you have no sense of smell? Can't I blame my bad memory on that factor? Also I'm so jealous of people who can smell their special person. I always see people talk about stealing a boyfriend's sweater or something to keep the smell nearby... But I won't know that smell even when I get to see him. I still kinda wanna steal one of his shirts though someday. I'm weird like that.

And I didn't know things were slow. It was really energetic and busy last night! :O

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/30 11:10:53 )

@Juneberry: hello and welcome to Voltra! I've noticed you like it here. Have any questions about Voltra?

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/30 13:42:00 )
@Juneberry: Oh Lycoris...nope, that's not what was near my house but it's a pretty flower nonetheless. I haaad this one.

And I have seen 2 different corpse flowers, one giant one and one small short, fat, red one. I don't recall it smelling like insanely bad. I was just like..oh that stinks..cool. And yeah the big one flowers pretty rarely, it takes about 7 years to bloom for the first time and another 3 to 7 years till the next time after that so when I went there were lines of people wanting to see it.

Always ping me please.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/30 16:08:29 )
Welcome Juneberry.
Points out the name similarity thing.
You have good taste. or should I say, smell?

TBH my fav smell is my own DNA... Can't really describe it in a senses way. It's like the feeling you get when you jump into your own bed to relax for the first time after having coming back from travelling for a while.

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/31 02:28:26 )
@Tuijp: I don't have any at the exact moment that I can think of... But if I think of any, I'll be sure to ask! So far, I feel my past on avatar sites is at least moderately helpful in making me feel able to navigate. That and the fact everyone's been super nice, of course!

@June July Thornberry: I actually noticed that when I saw the top five newest member list thing and we were right on top of each other. I giggled for a good while x3 How'd you come up with yours? Mine is just a type of fruit I like. But I think I generally understand the description of that smell! Is that really the smell of DNA though...? I didn't know you could smell anything so deeply molecular and such. Though I guess it's not that shocking since smell works through specific molecules that hit receptors and whatnot...

@Saeyra: It really is a beautiful bloom! I could share pictures of lycoris myself, but they're not personal ones or anything... just off google. Or book covers, occasionally. A light novel from a fandom I loved used it as a major symbolism trait. I thought it was longer than I was saying for the one in the city, but I couldn't recall. I hear it's ginormous! As for the little fat red one...I'd be curious to know more about it, because my favorite lycoris are red ones (and I mean, because the petals are all flared out like spider legs and whatnot they kinda look fat in pictures to me)

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.