Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Dealing with Acne

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/7 19:22:57 )

I used to be the one with perfect skin up until I turned 15 but now I have acne on my face, back, and a little on my chest. This is a somewhat embarrassing topic for me, and I don't know why. I am currently using these and have only been using them for about a week:
It is only making my acne worse, and it sucks, but I am gonna continue to use them. The acne wash has made my face super dry, and when I put lotion on it, it gets super irritated and it BURNS. I don't know what to do T_T Maybe I should use one at a time? My skin uses to be so soft, what am I doing to myself T_T
I've always had a low self esteem, and I never think highly of myself. I always feel ugly and think i'm ugly and never good enough. I always feel like no one will ever like me and my friends are just pretending to be my friends because who would like me...I'm super shy but at least I'm friendly once you get to know me. Me dealing with acne is like fighting a demon, it makes me think worse of myself, if that makes sense. I know a lot of people get acne but I don't wear makeup to cover it up because I don't have money to buy it and I know my parents wouldn't buy makeup for me. My mom MIGHT bring me to a dermatologist next week, but I know how that goes. It's not gonna happen. My mom and dad bought proactiv for my sister and I get the cheap brands, nice huh her acne is actually clearing up, why can't I use what she uses?? I just don't wanna deal with acne anymore, it's like it's spreading. My chest isn't bad, it's very little but still! Also, I only had like a tiny bit of acne on my back but it's getting worse. I feel like I should've just stuck with dove soap because it's a lot better than what i'm using atm. The reason why I'm still gonna use it is because I feel like I didn't give it enough time to actually work or i'm not using it right. I use the oil-free acne wash twice a day, morning and night. I use the body wash at night. Does anyone have any tips on dealing with acne? Also, thanks to whomever reads this because it's really long lol

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/7 19:52:45 )

My sister tried those, and it only made it worse for her. I would try a different product.

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/7 19:56:46 )

@RainbowPanda: Pinging you just in case. Read my post above this one, and also it shouldn't hurt you.
Why not try some of these from Target? https://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=acne&sortBy=relevance&Nao=0&facetedValue=4ynztZ5scvhZ5xwcxZ55rb3Z55jjqZ4ua2oZ559k7

I like SheaMoisture, Yesto, Acure(and for more than just face stuff, I like their Shampoo) and others really like Burt's Bees.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/7 20:08:03 )

@Totalanimefan: I just thought it would've been different for my skin, but it only made it 10x worse. I didn't have a ton of acne before and it has always only been on my forehead but now it's spreading >.< and there is dryness and irritation.
My mom says she is just gonna bring me to the doctor's because she doesn't want to risk trying anymore products because she says I have sensitive skin, learned that the hard way.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/7 20:16:01 )
It does sound like you have sensitive skin.
Next time when you're testing a product just try it once to see how your skin reacts. Don't go using it daily and especially not twice a day right away! o:

Does it burn every time you put on lotion after the wash?
If I don't do my routine everyday my skin does feel a light burning, but nothing serious. It's usually just the first day that does it then if i continue to do it it doesn't burn again.

My nightly routine as per recommended by my sibling is:
- Wash face, pat dry
1. Benzoyl Peroxide for 1 minute.
- Wash off, pat dry a bit - doesn't have to be completely dry
2. Paula's Choice BHA Exfoliant (every other night)
3. CeraVe PM lotion
I don't wash in the morning because I need to buy morning routine products for it.

I feel like CeraVe is a really good brand. They have an assortment of lotions and washes.

Another thing to put on daily is sunscreen! It'll prevent spots forming on your skin when you get older. You're young now so it probably isn't a big deal, but the younger you start the better. :'D (I'm not saying to start now, but in the future when you want to do more things for your skin!)

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/7 20:16:17 )

@RainbowPanda: I had the same that the anti acne stuff actually gave me acne. It also made my skin dry and itchy. I now use normal skin cleaner for a sensitive skin and the acne went down.

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/7 20:44:59 )

@RainbowPanda: Yes going to the Dr is good too!

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/7 21:34:14 )

@ME: That sounds like a good routine.
I started using lotion because it has made my skin dry, and when I put the lotion on it burns my face and it starts to get red.
What if it's not sunny outside? Also, what about lotion with sunscreen, would that work? I actually do have spots on my back.
@Tuijp: That's what has happened to me. It only started doing that yesterday >.< I should try that! After I visit the doctor's next week maybe

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/7 21:40:07 )

@RainbowPanda: ditch all the stuff you have and start using one for sensitive skin. Also, don't forget a tonic after.
I still have some pimples, but not major and my skin isn't dry, itchy or red anymore.

Voltie — Moody Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/7 22:56:24 )

FuuChan Says. . .

I used that brand and it did make it worse for me.
tbh you shouldn't continue to use something that doesn't work. Especially if it makes your acne worse.

For me what helped me with my acne was getting on Birth control and getting on an antibiotic my doctor prescribed to me.
My acne is not as bad anymore.
and I went through a lot of trial of errors through not just facial washes but moisturizer. if something doesn't work you kinda
just have to do a trial and error process. try a brand that is for sensitive skin, and if it makes it worse, you kinda have to keep trying.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/7 23:34:36 )

Okay, first of all: stop using those products right now. Dry, irritated skin is NOT a good sign and you don't want to make it worse. So stop using those products.
Both products are from Nuetrogena, so step two would be trying a different brand of face wash. I could recommend Clean & Clear, I have a couple of their products and they're lovely.
Step three, is only using ONE product at a time. Doubling up could be what's screwing with your face and skin, which is a risk when using two products.
And last, in case it was missed, STOP USING THE PRODUCTS YOU HAVE. Okay, tryna help.
No go forth and stop buying Nuetrogena.
Pip pip.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/8 00:04:36 )

@Tuijp: I can't ditch anything rn
@FuuChan: I'm gonna use it on only my forehead this time since I only get acne there.
@Anarchist Beauty: I want to keep using it tho because I made my mom buy these products and I don't want to waste them. I know I should stop using them but I'll try one at a time now. (I'll use the body treatment for now)

Voltie — Moody Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/8 00:13:16 )

FuuChan Says. . .

@RainbowPanda: Even so, using a product that doesn't work is kinda pointless.
Even if you don't want to waste a product, it can really damage your skin to keep using something that won't improve your skin.

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/8 01:37:01 )
@RainbowPanda: I have EXTREMELY sensitive skin and I finally found something that works for me. I use witch hazel to clean my face and occasionally I'll use Garnier SkinActive moisture rescue cream-- but only because I live in a dry desert environment.
Call me ping me if you wanna reach me

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/8 01:56:03 )

@RainbowPanda: Literally, no. Stop using them or it could lead to serious issues with your skin and face.
Plus if it's making your acne worse, it's not working like it should.
Give them to a neighbor, toss em, I don't know. Just stop using them, it's the best thing you can do.
And if your mom has an issue with that tell her to talk to your irritated skin, because repeatedly using products that mess up your skin is not healthy.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/8 05:22:36 )

@FuuChan: I know but it could be because I am using two acne products at once because it said skin irritation and dryness may occur when using two acne products at the same time.
@Schye: I never really thought my skin was sensitive until now. I've never heard of witch hazel..
@Anarchist Beauty: I'm not sure if it's the product that is making my acne worse ( Read what I said to FuuChan). My chest acne is getting better and my face acne seems about the same, I just need to give it time to actually work. My back acne has definitely gotten worse, but the body wash is not irritating my skin it's only the face wash.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/8 05:41:00 )
@RainbowPanda: I know it's hard but try not to freak out. All the kids your age have pimples. It looks worse to you than it looks to anyone. I just wash with soap and water whenever it feels oily. When it doesn't just let it be. If you freak out and start doing weird things you might scar yourself permanently. Eat less oily food and junk food and shower regularly. You should be fine. I don't think there is any magic potion to stop puberty. It will pass eventually.

Always ping me please.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/8 05:51:30 )
@rainbowpanda:
As long as the sun is up there's UV rays, cloudy or not. The only time you don't have to worry about it is when the sun goes down.

A combination lotion and sunscreen? I'm planning on buying something like tht myself. :'D
I needed lotion & the SPF is a bonus.
Waiting for more pretty long hairs~ ' u '

Questing :: Alice

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/8 16:39:04 )

@Saeyra: Thanks for the advice. I don't usually eat oily foods or junk food, so that's good I guess. I absolutely love fruits and veggies.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/8 16:40:57 )

@ME: Whoops gonna double post lol
Ah okay good to know~
Mhm would you like to know the brand? It's also unscented, but still smells pretty good. My mom has sensitive skin so she uses that and it's very helpful. She loves it, so she buys it in packs of 3 from costco.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.