Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Artist Galleries Fanart / Original Art

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/4 21:15:03 )

Special request 1/2 for xsanichi on Instagram! She had a OTA up and my bid had won so now I'm working on some art for her.
First is her OC Lia. She wanted a scene with cherry blossoms so I decided to go with this~ I tested out a bunch of shading techniques so I'll be sure to use them for future pieces. Hope you guys like it! ^_^
Check out the instagram post for close up details on the background: https://www.instagram.com/p/BbCanPCAANg/?taken-by=lydiachan22

Voltie — Princess Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/4 21:34:51 )
@Lydiachan22: Your backgrounds are really good. I struggle with those myself. Teach me master! :vanora_xd:

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/4 21:46:43 )
This is Candy Corn. and this is Gala

@Lydiachan22: OMG UR ART IS AMAZING YOU ARE SUPER TALENTED!!!
If only I could order art from you T-T

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/5 00:00:15 )
@saeyra: aahhh thank yous!! <3 Looking at anime landscape backgrounds really help! <3 Most of them use a certain color with an overlay mode, like 5 Centimeters Per Second uses purples and blues over their backgrounds. Different colors can set different moods so I tried to have a pink-ish purple overlay for the background itself. As well as studied how some illustrators usually portray lighting on different things such as the sidewalk, mirrors, etc, and tested out using the lumi & shade layer mode with red, blue and neon green almost equally apart from each other create this really beautiful effect, like how it's on the mirror, or the petals floating by. Apologies for rambling :''D Hope I explained things okay <33

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/5 00:03:08 )
@rainbowpanda: AAAHHH thanky yous so muchies!! T 0 T <33 That means a lot to hear!
I do occasionally open commissions on FB and IG, though usually for real money :''D
Though when my to-do list is more calm I would really like to open a little art commissions shop on here! :''> Dunno when that will be though, or how much to price my work for what currency (since there's the volts and ohms and such haha).

Voltie — Princess Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/5 00:12:01 )
@Lydiachan22: I usually just scroll through the layer modes to find a good one. Usually hard light, soft light and overlay. My biggest mistake is usually planning out the character colors without the background. It makes it so hard later on. I am slowly trying to break the habit because light bounces off the background and affects the character. Damn you really put alot of effort into studying materials! (Another thing I have to work on) any reading material/tutorials you would recommend?

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/5 00:34:25 )
@saeyra: I use soft light and hard light occasionally as well, though the mode isn't in my main program used to create the drawing itself, but afterwards in a different program for adding the watermark, stars, and any other high lights~ I know the same feeling ;;0;; Like, you don't want the background itself to blend in too much with the character, but adding a white boarder around them won't make it look like the character is actually in the background you drew for them (unless the background is some sort of random pattern and such of course) I hear that making thumbnails and choosing color pallets before starting helps. (Still a habit I'm trying to get into as well :''D)
Currently, my fav account to follow for coloring tutorials is:
https://www.instagram.com/sasucchi.tutorials/

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/5 00:40:17 )
This is Candy Corn. and this is Gala

@Lydiachan22: OOO I'm broke xD
Oh yes Plz do!! LOTS AND LOTS OF VOLTS AND OHMS!!

Voltie — Princess Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/5 02:03:30 )
@Lydiachan22: I do the thumbnailing and the color palettes but I think there is an extra step, the grayscale layout before the color? I don't do that or do it very minimally. Also, thanks for the Instagram thing. Looks pretty awesome! I look forward to seeing more of your art and chatting with you about this stuff

Always ping me please.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/5 21:34:08 )
@saeyra: I don't do it either x'D I find it harder to shade in gray scale then with the colors themselves tbh :''D But the friends I have that can do it, major props to them pff
aahh thanky yous! Same!! <33

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/6 01:54:22 )
To me, it's actually quite a small size :'D I use the program Paint Tool SAI for sketching/lineart/coloring and then go into Manga Studio EX for the star highlights, text and any other effects. Since PTSAI has a brush size limit of 500, I like to keep the canvas size around that, as if it were bigger, even the biggest brush size would look really small and it'd be harder to make gradients and such :o

I think the zooming can defitetly effect things, like in some programs you want it to zoom in slightly in one area, but instead it zooms in too much and there's no way to get to the part in between (hope that makes sense ahh) but I find it incredibly annoying as well :''D What program do you use? :O I don't know if it applies to all programs, but in the one I use you can go to the menu thing at the top (where it lists File, Edit, Canvas, Selections, ETC) and you go to View, then click on New, it'll open another window of your canvas. You can then make it so then you are able to drag both windows around the work space and such. Anything you draw on one of the windows shows up on the other once you finish the stroke, so you can have one window thats zoomed in, and the other that's just normal (and if you want to go the extra mile I'm sure you can open a 3rd window of it and have that one be mirrored as I've heard mirroring your image can help you spot mistakes and such) //apologies for rambling ahh :''D

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/6 01:55:22 )
@q t e a p o n: I literally forgot to tag you again pfft :vanora_sweat:

Donator — ghost Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/6 22:37:15 )

Wow your art is really cute O 3 O

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/8 05:02:46 )
@ghostie: aahh thanky yous! > w <)/)

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/8 05:05:50 )

11/7/2017
My part of an art trade with bonchilo on Instagram! Since working on the other drawing, the background was really detailed and my hand wanted a break, and since I had another drawing I owed xsanichi that had a detailed background, I wanted to do a simple background for this one. Hope that is okay :'D It's been quite a few weeks since I've drawn any chibis so if anatomy looks...wonky.. I was just trying to get back into the groove :'D Hope you guys like it though <3

Voltie — She/Hungry Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/9 21:08:48 )
Have a bubbly ~ ?

Dear lord mama mia, your art is adorable. The coloring is really really good, I am so jelus! :vanora_heart:

It tastes like cotton candy!
Apparently out of a gig. --v
RLC Commissions always available! PM me or add me on discord: micami#8341

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/10 05:42:36 )
@mica: aaahhh thank yous so much!! ;;0;; <3

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/10 05:47:10 )

Request 2/2 for xsanichi on instagram! > w <)/) (Like I said in the post for her other request, she had this character as an offer to adopt. So I had bid to make her some drawings and since the bid won, here they are!) For the chibi illustration, she wanted me to draw my new adopted character, Pancake Maid! I'm thinking of making her catch phrase "Holy Pancakes!" :P I also have another oc (yet to draw him fully) to ship with her. His name is Dinner Cat. :D I included a little cameo of him in the picture. Can you find him? ;P

Voltie Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/10 09:10:21 )

oh I missed so many cute updates, I love your backgrounds too
and do I spy a cat melon bread

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/10 20:51:16 )
@ishoji: awwee thanky yous q 0 q <33
yep~ It's dinner cat the melon bread~ ;3
Find my illustrations here: https://twitter.com/Lydiachan22

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.