Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts The Sock

Donator — he/him/theirs Posted 6 months ago ( 2023/11/16 01:28:23 )
In case you didn't guess already... this is where you can find a toe or two!! (I'm physically incapable of not making corny jokes)

Been on Voltra (somewhat passively) for a few months now and am starting to feel a bit cozier, especially having a better start with collecting cosmetics. Makes me feeel cozier, yanno.
I remember spending time on some avatar sites when I was younger, but being born in '97, I feel I kinda missed the boat generationally speaking. I only ever dabbled in forum engagement and mostly stuck to avatar customization, but have always loved the dynamic of such sites.
SO here I am, and it's been super cool to be a part of an avatar site as an adult! In the spirit of improving my forum engagement, figured I'd create my own hangout thread. Please feel free and welcome to leave any stray sentiments here, they shall be received warmly (it is a sock, after all).

I like the idea of a "rule" for my hangout, but I also don't like strict rules, so it'll just be if you feel like it.
Folks who comment in this thread, I'd love for you to share a song you really like or that you've been listening to lately!!

Donator — she/they/him Posted 6 months ago ( 2023/11/16 01:48:09 )

hey~!
and i've been listening to
a lot of Hank Trill tbh haha
hru~?

Donator — he/him/theirs Posted 6 months ago ( 2023/11/16 02:08:07 )
@Justice: ok so Hank Trill just changed my life's trajectory for the better thank you for this magic lolllll
I'm doing alrighty though! Long day that's finally coming to a close now, about to head home from work. No idea what I'll do for dinner... probably ice cream.
How's your day gone?

Also, to answer my own question, I've been listening to Mosquito by PinkPantheress on repeat for a couple of days now... & before that it was Mirror Mirror by Palm. NEXT UP I GUESS IS HANK TRILL, loving this

Donator — she/they/him Posted 6 months ago ( 2023/11/16 05:17:18 )

@toe:
ya he's amazing tbh lol

and that's good. ice cream is nice lol.
i might do chicken thighs?
and it's been decent, kinda boring and meh but w/e

☥ "Think of me when you look at the night sky" ☥

leave me msgs here

The Crooked Dog Inn

plz ping me!

Artist Posted 6 months ago ( 2023/11/16 05:54:04 )
@toe: Hello! Great avi you got there! I don't remember if I welcomed you when you first joined but in case I didn't, Welcome to Voltra! :D Great to have you here~

I've been on avi sites since 2008, but didn't really post much for a while so I getchu :3 fellow 90's baby but born in '94 so not that far apart haha

Currently I've been listening to HEY CHILD by X Ambassadors :3 I typically hear something I like and then just play it til I'm sick of it xD I'll have to check out the one mentioned about as well, I haven't heard that before.

Donator Posted 5 months ago ( 2023/11/16 23:21:35 )
I'm not too musically inclined. So I don't have a current favorite. When I'm cleaning the house, I typically put on electroswing or postmodern jukebox. I do recommend that genre. <3

I love your username and I'm glad you made a hangout. :3

Donator — he/him/theirs Posted 5 months ago ( 2023/11/17 01:44:58 )
@Ruby: Cheers to the 90's! I'm listening to the song you mentioned right now, thanks for sharing! I'm tooootally with you about listening to a song until I can hardly stand it... and then maybe a few more times still. :P

@Koah: Cheers also to electroswing, what an awesome house-cleaning vibe. I remember getting really into Caravan Palace's music several years back. Not quite as familiar with postmodern jukebox though so I'll take a peek.

Artist Posted 5 months ago ( 2023/11/17 08:10:17 )
@toe: glad I’m not the only one! :D do you ever wake up with a song in your head you didn’t even listen to recently? I saw the name of a song I like last night, didn’t play it, and now its stuck in my head all day xD or like sometimes I’ll think of part of one and then have to try and sing the rest of it to figure out which song it is xD

What did you think? :3
And ooh I love postmodern jukebox!!! Koah was the one that showed me that too I think xD my favorite one they did is Creep with Haley Reinhart :3 I don’t even like the original xD

Donator — THEY/M Posted 5 months ago ( 2023/11/17 12:00:33 )
@toe:
Welcome back to Voltra. I feel you on missing forum engagement with like minded individuals and dressing up avatars. Glad you made a hangout and it seems many people feel similar nostalgia to you and I both. At the moment, a song I've been listening to a lot is "Exponential Entropy" which comes from Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward. (I don't share my name on forums, but, I will say, I am in Stormblood).

Donator — he/him/theirs Posted 5 months ago ( 2023/11/22 21:40:11 )
@Ruby: SO OFTEN!! I'll get random songs out of nowhere running through my head, and honestly I love it. Feels like there's seldom a lack of music happening in this noggin'. However it can be a problem when the earworm really digs its way deep, especially with a silly song hahah.
The song you mentioned was neat, I liked the stripped-down kinda feel of the instrumental section! Really helped to highlight the powerful vocals. And that cover of Creep is neat too, I see the vibe of postmodern jukebox now and can very much appreciate the re-imagining of tunes, that's always fun :)

@ahi: Thanks for your kind words! I also really love this song a lot; while Final Fantasy is one of those games I've always meant to explore, I've yet to have an opportunity. What do you like most about playing?
I guess this music shows me that I might have to ease myself in via the soundtrack for the time being - I love the subtly jazzy chord shifts over top of a nice drum n' bass feel.

Another song share from me today, we'll go with Cool With It by Bobbing, a favorite artist of mine. If folks celebrate Thanksgiving I hope things are feeling all prepped and ready for a nice day :)

Donator — THEY/M Posted 5 months ago ( 2023/11/24 13:11:24 )
@toe:
Awww, it's no problem at all!

I have been a massive fan of the Final Fantasy franchise for a long time. The franchise of games are their own individual stories and for things I love about it? The music is most often composed by Nobuo Uematsu. (The best comparison is like Danny Elfman working with Tim Burton or Howard Shore working with Peter Jackson) and the stories. I finished the main story of Stormblood, I've been told that the post/patch-content is great, so, I am looking forward to that.

I noticed that the community is very helpful, it's not always needed, but, if you wanted to do dungeons with NPCs vs other players, they have that feature, but, I notice the community is very helpful and I've had a negative experience with no more than 5 people. I will say that eventually you do need people to help you.

So far? I would say my favorite expansion was Heavensward. I love A Realm Reborn for it's nostalgia, but, as I am approaching Shadowbringers (the 4th expansion), I am nervous, but, excited for it. I don't watch the trailers/opening cinematics until after my friends suggest so I don't spoil myself on things. Heavensward did that and I was glad I finished HW along with ARR before watching them.

As for games from the franchise that I'd recommend? Well, I haven't played the remake of 7, but, I loved the original, so, I recommend 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. Most of them can be found on Steam. If you ever have any questions? Feel free to reach out any time! ^.^

Donator — he/him/theirs Posted 5 months ago ( 2023/11/27 19:15:54 )
@ahi: Super fascinating stuff, thanks for sharing so much about the game and what draws you to it!! I think perhaps knowing the franchise has been around for a while and being "late to the game" gives me a sense of not being able to "catch up" and understand everything about it. With so many games in the series, does the story/plot remain continuous or are there enough differing pieces of lore and developing stories that anyone can jump into it any time? Perhaps that's been my main fear with approaching the thing! That and also lack of accessibility; I didn't have any gaming consoles growing up ('til junior year of high school when I got a laptop that could run Skyrim... lifechanging) and currently don't yet have a nice enough PC setup to use my Steam library. When that fated day comes, I'll be delving into all kinds of franchises no doubt!

So cool to know you've had that love for FF ongoing and that even after lots of time it continues to have new developments. Makes me think of how I've been getting back into Minecraft a little bit lately (I'm a very low-key kind of player haha) and it's neat to see how many newer types of materials/animals/etc. they've included to make the game still somehow feel fresh and interesting despite its simple premise!

Donator — THEY/M Posted 5 months ago ( 2023/11/29 14:17:43 )
@toe:
No problem at all, I am always happy to share things I am passionate in or enjoy a lot. It's nice to be heard as well when someone asks what you enjoy. As far as being "late to the game", I felt the same way when I joined the MMORPG myself this year, and I have seen so many new people join every day. Naoki Yoshida (Yoshi P - who is the game producer, director and designer) has talked about the game is something people should take their time with and enjoy every aspect of it, it also mentions on the website too, "Life in Eorzea offers much more than just fighting! Slow down and go fishing, craft items, or take screenshots decked out in stylish gear with your friends! Enjoy the world of FFXIV at your own pace."

If you decide to join? I suggest downloading from the website itself when you do get a better PC as you can play up to level 70 on any job with no playtime restrictions all while on trial and the first three expansions (the trailers/opening cinematics for the expansions have spoilers which I recommend avoid watching if you wanted to get into it besides ARR (A Realm Reborn).

Here is a link to it (since the website doesn't clarify which trailer you'd be watching):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39j5v8jlndM

When it comes to the other games? They are their own stories. You will notice reoccurring themes or character names throughout the franchise (example: Moogles and Chocobos). So, you can really jump in anytime as you said. When it comes to accessibility, FFXIV has a lot of choices such as, disabling or lowering the effects that others give so it's not always flashing your screen, a mode for people who are colorblind (and allowing you to adjust to your own specific needs), hiding name plates (which is a lot when I first started), the speed of which you can pan your camera, and a lot more (my favorite bit of FFXIV is allowing myself to customize my own HUD Layout and choosing any job I want vs sticking to just one). I was pleasantly surprised and they are always adding new features people ask for. It helps too that the game has dialogue boxes which is like closed captioning.

I had a Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, PlayStation 1, and a Gameboy Color (hot pink - that was stolen) growing up. My parents couldn't afford much and bought consoles when they could second hand usually where it was refurbished. I didn't have many games for the consoles I did growing up, but, was thankful for what I did have. I wasn't allowed many games though as so many were very violent unfortunately. I didn't play Final Fantasy until I got to my teenage years along with Dance Dance Revolution at the local mall arcade, same with Soul Calibur, Tekken, Street Fighter, and few others. If I wasn't at the mall, I was at home playing The Sims and Flash Games I'd find online.

Skyrim and Minecraft are a lot of fun, I get motion sick from both super easily sadly. I did for FFXIV as well at first until I learned I could zoom out and change camera angle. I get stressed from a lot of stuff in Minecraft as they make me anxious where I feel Minecraft should be enjoyable and semi-peaceful and while I know there is a creative mode, but, I prefer gathering resources to build my own places, etc. Easy/Peaceful mode is almost too easy, then normal mode is too anxiety inducing. So, no winning for me there really. xD; I do enjoy modded Minecraft, but, also, have no brainpower or energy to keep up with it often. I think the reason people like you and I who enjoy Minecraft is because it is simple, it is straight forward, simple to understand, also, I know I love it as it reminds me of Legos or Lincoln Logs.
Currently Questing:
Angelic Solid Set (Clouds/Halos/Winglets/Wings)

Donator — he/him/theirs Posted 5 months ago ( 2023/12/12 21:24:25 )
@ahi: It's very cool to hear that you yourself just started playing the game this year, and already have such great passion for it! That goes to show how clearly my worries about not being able to give it a shot are nothing to sweat over, and I'm looking forward to experiencing it myself when I finally have the chance. Seeing you talk about what draws you to the game also inspires me! It sounds very interesting to be able to pursue jobs as you describe, and I'm also a big fan of the customizability not only with character actions but game interface as well. It's always a pleasure to hear of games having greater ranges of accessiblity features, too! I will definitely be keeping this post from you saved so that when I've got my PC, I'll know the best way to start out in the game. That trailer seems awesomely epic as well, and definitely feels exciting to just watch. So much detail and feels very immersive which I love.

I can also definitely understand the frustrations you cite with Minecraft, and I often struggled in the past to really get into it for those reasons. I felt like things were too hard or frustrating, and while sometimes I enjoy a challenge, I often want to feel like it's a more relaxed kind of challenge with that game. Fortunately, I've more recently learned to take advantage of how much I can customzie my Minecraft game as well though; I"ve taken to playing on easy mode so there are still some monsters to deal with, but I largely play with the "always day" mode activated, so I don't actually encounter the monsters unless I'm deep in a cave or something like that. I also have activated "keep inventory" so that when I die, the things I collected aren't all lost and I respawn at my base. With these things in place I've managed to eradicate most of the things I'd find personally frustrating about the game. In the past I'd likely have worried this would be like "cheating" but now, I recognize there's no harm in doing things in whatever way will make them fun; the alternative is just never playing the game at all, and that's far more pointless than modifying it for enjoyment!

Donator — he/him/theirs Posted 5 months ago ( 2023/12/12 21:28:35 )
Today's/this week's song: Hardmood by Moomin & Oskar Offerman

Been into deep house music lately, perhaps because it's meditative and thus helped me finish up my final papers for the semester. Crazy to think that it's only a matter of moths until I have a master's degree (knocking on wood regarding my success in this final semester)!

In other news, just trying to get all my holiday shopping done. I get closer and closer each year to planning ahead of time (this year I made a big ongoing list with a section for each of my loved ones), but it's always a mad dash anyway. The ADHD curse. How are other folks doing with all that business???! Hoping all Volties are staying well. :)

Artist Posted 5 months ago ( 2023/12/13 03:18:40 )
@toe: omg sorry to leave you hanging for so long! I got so distracted and then had a bunch of notifications >.< I'm glad you liked the song! I agree with you :3
Haha yeah like our brains have shuffle on xD pretty cool! it's also nice when you only want one song because you don't have to find new music for a while xD

How've you been? :3

Donator — he/him/theirs Posted 4 months ago ( 2023/12/20 23:58:31 )
@Ruby: no worries at ALL, life be life-ing and I'm not very prompt with replies all the time myself haha. Thanks for checking back in!

I freaking LOVE having a Favorite Song to put on repeat, although it can be a bit soul-sucking when suddenly The Song gets old and it's hard to find newer music that strikes the same chord (literally lol).

I've been doing alright overall, just running around like crazy trying to make sure I have holiday gifts for all people who I'd like to provide giftage to! It'll come together at the last minute as always, I'm sure, but not without an adrenaline rush... otherwise trying to savor the brief break from grad school responsibilities until next year kicks into gear. How are you doing, Ruby? Do you celebrate the holidays, and if so, how?

Artist Posted 4 months ago ( 2023/12/21 18:21:14 )
@toe: haha yes when you finally manage to suck all the dopamine out of it for the time being and have to find a new one OTL

Phew glad I’m not the only one! I try my best to reply as often as I can but life really be life’n xD

Glad you’re enjoying your time off! :3 ooh what kinda stuff have you gotten for peeps? :3

I’m hanging in there as best I can, thanks for asking! <3 this year has been rough lol I’m hoping for a better one next year OTL
I do! Its just my mom and I and we can’t really afford a lot this year, it doesn’t even feel like December tbh OTL so just spending some good quality time together :3 nothin fancy but still enjoyable~ I love crafting so usually I make stuff but I’ve been so drained and haven’t gotten a chance to make anything ;3;

Donator — he/him/theirs Posted 4 months ago ( 2024/01/2 21:47:17 )
@Ruby: Happy New Year to you, got my fingers crossed that it's going to be a better one for you!! I feel you on the holiday drainage as well, I'm back to work today and it feels like I exerted so much energy over the "break" that I need another one. Family is lovely but can feel hard for me to be around so many folks so often. That said, I gave my parents a CD of my music, got a plane ticket to visit my sister later this year, some drag queen merch for my partner, a small new purse/phone bag for my grandma who's going into independent living, and a couple tchotchkes for my cousins. Tried to get little things for my coworkers but I ended up overthinking it and ordering too late so now I feel embarrassed to give them as gifts and just feel kinda bad, oops...

Sometimes it's kinda nice to take that pressure off in terms of gifts, while it's tough to be in a place of hardship no doubt, it can be so lovely to just appreciate quality time too. Do you have any traditions with your mom that you were still able to engage with? Or on your own? And I hear you there too, I wanted to make so many more things but crafting can be hard, harder yet when there's pressure. What kind of things do you like to make when you feel energized to do so?

Been so difficult for me to keep up with things lately, life's feeling a bit crazy. But I hope all are well!!
Gotta share a tune: recently couldn't stop listening to The Bug Collector by Hayley Heynderickx, and had to learn it on guitar too, so pretty :)

Donator — he/him/theirs Posted 1 month ago ( 2024/03/18 15:45:07 )
Hope all are well :) funnily enough here I am posting in The Sock while I have no idea where 90% of my socks are after recently moving... so disorienting. My fault for procrastinating unpacking - but I've been busy too! Life's crazy, or maybe crazy's just where I'm going. Probably a bit of both.
Been listening to a WILD variety of music lately but right now I have I'm The President by Knower in my head. Trying to keep that energy level up, I can almost taste my master's degree (づ ᴗ _ᴗ)づ🎓📜

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.