Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Entertainment Did you watch Friends?

Voltie Posted 6 months ago ( 2023/11/2 09:06:29 )
I could never get into it. I found Ross annoying as heck. Living Single was better in my opinion. Anyways, Matthew Perry died a few days ago. He fell asleep in his jacuzzi from what I read. His sarcasm was the only reason I bothered watching Friends.

Donator — #Roy4Mayor Posted 6 months ago ( 2023/11/2 18:23:55 )
I did, and I loved it for the most part aside from a few things I found annoying here and there.
I haaaaaated the way Ross & Rachel were on-again off-again, but then again Ross was pretty abysmal with women...

I always kinda felt for Chandler because it's clear his humour was a defense mechanism, and I had a friend like that - made jokes out of absolutely everything and sometimes carried the joke on way too long to the point it got annoying.

Re-watching it now it's almost more fun to keep an eye out for the guest stars. I think I saw an episode where Charlie Sheen played a submariner that saw Phoebe between deployments. Brad Pitt showed up at one point, but I can't remember what his character was.

Donator — THEY/M Posted 6 months ago ( 2023/11/2 20:58:51 )
I loved watching it growing up, I was sad to hear about Matthew Perry's passing, he truly was a gem in other things I knew him from (Fallout, 17 Again, The Kid, The West Wing). I kept watching FRIENDS because I enjoyed his sarcasm as well, but, I also enjoyed the friendship he had with Joey (Matt LeBlanc). Reminded me of how people tell you that siblings act, but, I could never relate to that so much.

@Alchemists Fire:
I also hated how they were on and off (Ross and Rachel), watching it back, I never saw just how horrible he (Ross) was towards women and people in general. I was glad when they cut back on it for later seasons, but, still didn't stop me from cringing at it. I always related to Chandler for his humor (using it as a way to cope).

I remember my mom wasn't a fan of FRIENDS as she felt it was too 'sexually forward'. She was surprised at seeing Bruce Willis, Winona Ryder, Tom Selleck, George Clooney, and Gary Oldman in FRIENDS and I didn't know these people until I got older. Being an adult now and seeing them along with Paul Rudd and other familiar faces is such a throwback.

Donator — #Roy4Mayor Posted 6 months ago ( 2023/11/3 03:14:11 )
@ahi: I was sad to hear about Matthew Perry's passing too, especially knowing he had such a rough time with addiction throughout his life. I also feel kinda bad because I think he really got type cast as Chandler-type characters, and I never really saw him do anything else after Friends. He hasn't been in a movie since 2009, and his last TV credits were 2017, until the Friends reunion in 2021.

I always loved the back and forth between Joey and Chandler too. I was actually kinda sad when Chandler got together with Monica and moved in with her because Joey missed him so much.

I think I cringe at the show more now, and I can definitely see why your mom would think it was too "sexually forward". OH MAN I forgot about the one where Paul Rudd shows up! It's so funny looking back now and seeing them all so young
Currently dressed as: Christmas Maple

Donator — He/They Posted 6 months ago ( 2023/11/3 18:38:49 )

I watched it some when it was originally airing because my mom watched it. I thought it was funny then, but I was a little young for it. I looked into it again some years later and found I didn't like it any more. Felt it was really overrated and didn't continue watching.

Sad to hear about his death, though. I don't doubt he'll be missed.

Donator — THEY/M Posted 6 months ago ( 2023/11/3 19:01:40 )
@Alchemists Fire:
That was the first thought that entered my mind (his past with addiction), I've seen firsthand how isolating it can feel when it feels like no one cares or wants to help and the problem that comes with addiction is hiding it usually, so, no way someone would see it unless they've gone through it themselves, and, admitting you need help.

I noticed that immediately with everything I saw him in afterward as well. (Being typecast as someone similar to Chandler, which, it possibly propelled his addiction too. I forgot who interviewed him, but, he mentioned that he was always similar to Chandler, just addiction helped him be a bit more himself without feeling anxious).

When it came down to Chandler and Monica moving in together, I was kind of hoping they would do something for Joey and Chandler, as an adult, I still wish it. Could you imagine how adorable it would've been if Chandler had a mancave of sorts where he got a new foosball table, better TV, recliners, a pool table, and even a fridge dedicated to Joey (because, as we know, Joey doesn't share food). xD

@Count Trashula:
I think a big reason I enjoy/ed it was for nostalgia, same goes for Seinfeld, Frasier, Becker, Home Improvement, and so many others I had to sneak watch when they did repeats at night. FRIENDS and Seinfield just happen to stick out the most to me. I can also a perspective where for some it would/could be overrated.

Donator Posted 6 months ago ( 2023/11/3 19:17:12 )
I enjoyed it growing up in the late 90s/early 2000s.
lol, As I became an adult, Friends seemed.. so...idk, hard to get into.
I'm sad that Matthew Perry died. From what I understand, he was finally getting sobered up and finding purpose/reason to move forward from addictions. [gossip/rumors- I don't read tabloids and articles]

Donator — she/they/him Posted 6 months ago ( 2023/11/4 01:31:32 )

wasn't my style of comedy or show tbh~
but clearly was popular and had lots of fans

☥ "Think of me when you look at the night sky" ☥

leave me msgs here

The Crooked Dog Inn

plz ping me!

Donator — He/They Posted 6 months ago ( 2023/11/6 19:51:02 )

@ahi: Man, Frasier is my jam, though. I still like Seinfeld, too. Not every show I grew up with held up into my adult years, but a lot of them did!

ALWAYS PING ME

Donator — THEY/M Posted 6 months ago ( 2023/11/10 12:52:08 )
@Count Trashula:
I feel that. I love your avatar!
Currently Questing:
Angelic Solid Set (Clouds/Halos/Winglets/Wings)

Donator Posted 6 months ago ( 2023/11/10 23:35:34 )
I used to watch Friends... but never the reruns much. I had my tv schedule, lol.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.