Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Artist Galleries Drawing outside of societal beauty conventions

Donator — they/ze Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/07/29 23:09:15 )
I feel like this question belongs in the artist galleries section so thts why im posting it here seperately from my art dump thread

Do yall ever draw ppl outside of normal beauty conventions?

I'm personally pretty far from "attractive" by normal conventions and over the years ive realized that when i draw someone "beautiful" i base that idea off of societal standards. When i draw myself, i dont think "oh thts a beautiful person" - instead i tend to think ok ive drawn my token ugly for the moment. Like when you're frustrated w a straight line so you draw a hard fast squiggle off to the side.
When I draw for an example: Rhaenyra Targaryen - I think of HoTD's actor instead of how she is canonically described because people are more inclined towards "Beautiful/slender women" than women who are bigger for whatever reason - in her case, having an abundance of foods she can eat and having birthed multiple children and a figure that is indicative of that lifestyle.

I dont feel like im being really eloquent here.
This is something I am trying to tackle within myself and my art style as someone who is technically obese and very plain jane looking oval face.

I would love to hear yalls thoughts on this

Donator — she/her Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/07/30 23:20:47 )

I guess I also tend to draw more conventionally attractive people, but I also don’t put much thought into my drawings in that regard. I just draw what comes natural for me, but I’m sure it’d be good practice to experiment with different face structures, body types, etc.

❀❀❀❀

Check out my shop! Currently selling Winter '21 Plasma Orb Items and more.

Donator — He/They Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/08/1 02:53:59 )

I don't pay much mind to whether my characters are conventionally attractive or not. I usually go with whatever I think suits their background/lifestyle/personality. I try to use a variety of shapes and features when designing characters, including the ones who are specifically meant to be good-looking. I'd get bored if they all looked like they walked out of a magazine ad. How would you even tell them apart?

ALWAYS PING ME

Donator — they/ze Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/08/3 20:30:43 )
@Delightfully: It is like super hard to find decent refs of people who arent like model pretty. The only pics i can ever find of regular people is usually pics of the photographer mocking people ( like people of walmart type stuff)

@Ark: That's something ive been trying to do more often. I got so bored of drawing the same face and same body types over and over

@Stinky: same same. anatomy is hard. its even harder when only recently could you find more ref images of people of differing body shapes more readily imo

@Count Trashula: *looks at otome games* I think vaguely diff hair colors def make them different *sarcasm*

All of this angst is brought forth from my perpetual struggle with same-face-syndrome.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.