Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Cat and Dog had a minor fight

Donator — She/her Posted 10 months ago ( 2023/07/12 03:09:52 )

It didn't feel minor, but there was no blood and I don't think any physical injury, but mentally it was a big deal. (Both are male animals)

So my sister and her dog (2-year old Aussie) moved into my place in May. He's mostly a good boy but also he doesn't listen sometimes to anyone. He has a lot of anxiety when he leaves the apartment. He loves watching(read fixating) on the cat through the baby gate we step up for them. The cat now has to live in my bedroom and master bathroom and the dog is not allowed in here.

Tonight I was playing with my cat in the bedroom, baby gate closed, and I guess the dog was watching us, freaked out that the cat was playing/running around and some how opened the baby gate. I guess when he jumped at it he hit it just right? He hasn't done that before.

Anyway, the cat started running away into the bathroom and the dog chased right after the cat. He cornered the cat and was being mouthy and the cat was battling him away. It was all just a lot of chaos and I think the cat's paw might have landed in his mouth but he never bit down. I pulled the dog off the cat and gave him a smack on the back of the head that I don't think he noticed and the cat ran away and the dog still tried to run after him but I was holding on to the dog still. My sister came into my bedroom at that point and was so mad that he did that. She yelled at him and put him in his crate for the night. I told her what I saw and what I didn't see and how I was across the room when it happened and tried to get to him as soon as possible. I think we were both shocked. She didn't really say anything. The cat didn't want to come near me at first and I felt horrible. He's closer to me now and less upset, mostly ok. He doesn't seem to have any injuries.

I don't know what to do about the dog. My sister loves him to much for me to say get rid of him. I think she needs to take him to training class. We had been thinking about it for a little while cause he doesn't like leaving the apartment and he likes to jump on people. But now I want the dog to go ASAP. I never want something like that or worse to happen to him again. We are moving to a new place next week and I do think he will be calmer there because it's less busy of a street. However, that doesn't mean he will behave with the cat and this cat is my whole world. I love him to death. I can't seem to calm down from this and I feel like out of all of the people and animals in this, I'm the one that's most upset! (Although I don't want to speak for my sister, she has her room and I don't know how she feels)

What do you think we should do?

Donator — She/her Posted 10 months ago ( 2023/07/12 03:51:22 )

@Sage: Thank you so much. I feel like we all were lucky that no one was seriously hurt. I think the cat is ok. He let me pet him just now.

Yeah 100% already looked up people and I texted my sister that I think we need to look into that. What happened was serious. It's I would say for a few year permanent. I don't see her moving out unless she hates it and moves back to CA, or gets a new BF here or something like that. I think I'm going to just keep the door to my bedroom closed at all times. I feel like a screen the dog could tear through. He's 55 lbs. I do have two cat trees but the cat ran into the bathroom instead of to his cat tree. I guess he wasn't thinking and just wanted to get away from the dog.

I'm sorry to. Cause if it happens again. I might have to tell my sister that's it with having this dog.

Donator — She/her Posted 10 months ago ( 2023/07/12 21:34:20 )

@Sage: I am like 90% sure the training will work. It works for most dogs.

Donator — She/her Posted 10 months ago ( 2023/07/13 03:15:20 )

@Ugly Rat: I totally agree with you. People have no idea how to train animals and no idea how much work they are. We all agreed on training for the dog. I hope he’s able to start it soon.

And thanks it was scary. I wasn’t able to sleep for hours. Like way later than my normal bedtime.

Donator — She/Her Posted 10 months ago ( 2023/07/16 19:30:38 )
@Totalanimefan: In addition to training the dog, I'd highly recommend giving him daily exercise routines. In particular, that breed will have high energy and will use that energy to herd or chase other animals and people, and one way to prevent that is to regularly exercise them in ways that will use their breed's skills. There are lots of videos for training and exercise ideas to do with your aussie. I understand the situation was upsetting for everyone, but remember that it's not the dog's fault for doing what comes natural to them, especially if they weren't trained to do otherwise. It'll take a lot of training to be sure, but the results will be worth it. You're lucky that the dog is still young, as an older dog would be much more difficult to learn new behaviors.
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

Donator — She/her Posted 10 months ago ( 2023/07/17 14:58:18 )

@Aisukohi: thanks. We are getting a trainer that will come to the house.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.