Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Women and Crime Fiction

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/4 22:23:18 )
We all know that statistically women have had a higher fascination with True Crime. But it's always been that way. A vast majority of fans amongst Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes series were women. In fact they roited in the streets when Doyle first announced that he wasn't going to finish the series. At that time it wasn't just Sherlock Holmes. "Locked-room" mysteries were a thing. the reader is presented with a puzzle and encouraged to solve it before finishing the story and being told the solution.
These stories are so-called because they involve a crime, normally a murder, which takes place in a "locked room". But even before that, Arabic crime novels like One Thousand and One Nights were primarily favored amongst women. This fascination goes all the way back to the Chinese Song dynasty. Gong'an, a form of crime based puppetry or oral poetry was popular with women.
This fascination with crime fiction isn't just a modern trend. Women have always been drawn to it. I figured its so they know what to look out for, since being a woman is dangerous business. But there have to be other reasons as well. It's fascinating in a way.

Voltie — They/He Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/4 23:40:53 )

Well, another thing to add to the list of "I am not a girl and here's why"

(this is a joke im trans and dont like crime)

Don't know how to use/read tone tags?
Go Here!

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/5 14:54:12 )
I suspect that women's fascination with these kinds of stories has to do with their culturally-enforced limitations and a desire or need to simply "explore" the world around them in ways that they weren't always "allowed" to do on their own.

It's interesting, though. :3

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator — Pomepome Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/5 22:56:34 )
Thats because women are more into macabre things than men. Morbid stuff drives us crazy though xD
+Pls ping me+
Nothing Fancy to see here!

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/6 21:21:04 )
Huh... intresting to know. I love watching Snapped on tv, and a good mystery novel is good anytime of day.

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/11 09:59:06 )
@Trixie Kay:
Ironic given how in the past women were dissuaded by society from the macabre and gruesome things. It wasn't lady-like. A woman shouldn't see such things.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.