Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Reaping Ritual 2022: Hide and Shriek! Hide and Shriek | Investigation 5: Nix

Npc — He/Him Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/17 21:02:54 )

Gravel flies from under the tires of the VPD squad car as JC comes to a halt along the shores of Breaker Beach's renowned Camp Breaker. He jumps from the car, running toward the water's edge. “Milly, go see if you can find help! Get anyone!”

Milly nods, rushing over to the nearest building. To her relief, Vigo Aurora steps out onto the deck of the cabin to greet her.

"Officer Milly, good evening," He places a gentle hand on her shoulder as she catches her breath. "Do you need a moment to rest?” He gestures to a chair. Milly holds up a hand, surprising even herself as she declines the offer.

"I'm alright," She pants as she regains her poise, turning serious. "You out here catering an event? JC and I could use a couple of extra hands." Vigo nods slightly.

"This is just set up. Unfortunately, it’s only Luka and myself - but please let us know how we can be of assistance." Vigo gestures for the boy standing shyly in the corner. He approaches, moving in to hide behind Vigo's legs as they speak.

Milly points outside toward the water. "We have reason to believe that Vontell Cappala may be in danger and need help locating him."

"Certainly," Vigo nods, before turning to Luka, "I'll return shortly, can you begin to--"

"I...I can help too!" Luka steps forward slightly, trying his best to look determined, "I want to help find Mr. Cappala..." Milly nods, leading them both to the water’s edge. Noticing their approach, JC hurries in to greet them.

“If you find anything at all, report back to me. Officer Milly, search to the North end. Vigo, look out by the rocks,” He puts a hand on Luka’s shoulder, “You want to check the docks?” Luka nods. JC smiles, patting his shoulder, “You’re a brave kid. I know you can do this.” They split up, going their separate ways.

Luka cautiously makes his way down to the docks, the cool night air forming a dense fog above the water. The waves crash at the shore rhythmically. Luka pauses, turning his attention deeper into the water. The surface begins to ripple slightly, and from the center of those dark waters, a faint tune soon catches his attention. "A flute?" He taps his hands together anxiously, glancing around the area. Despite his trepidation, he begins to walk toward the source of the noise. "H-hello? Mr. Cappala... Are you out here?" His question goes unanswered, but still...something about this melody draws him closer.

He steps into the water, wading up to his waist. An unidentifiable object pops up from below the water's surface, and the music grows louder. "Mr. Cappala... It's Luka. Are you alright, sir?" He wades further into the water, his gaze fixated on the object in the water. Completely mesmerized by the tune, he begins to feel increasingly delirious with each step he takes closer. "I... We-- we are here to...to...assist you..." His words trail off as he stumbles forward. Without time to react, two limbs dart from the water, grabbing him and beginning to drag him into the water. A pair of yellow eyes pierce the thick fog before him, snapping Luka out of his trance and causing him to panic.

Struggling to free himself, Luka kicks against the creature trying to drag him under, but to no avail. He gets snagged in the tangles of the weeds that line the shallows of Lake Breaker, panic washing over him as he fights to stay afloat.

"Help! Help!!" His cries turn to gurgles as his head is pulled under. His eyes open in shock as the Nix creature drags him down deeper. Luka opens his mouth to yell once more, a plume of bubbles travelling to the surface.

The creature suddenly releases its grasp on Luka's body as another figure plunges into the water. JC grabs him, desperately tearing the weeds from his body.

art by Q t e a p o n

Npc — He/Him Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/17 21:03:21 )

Being from wandering stories, cautionary tales, or just simply a myth, the Nix has terrified kids since eons. Even adults have stayed clear of any lake or pond at dawn because of the stories that have been told.

The Nix is described as being a big, looming creature covered in flora found in the lakes it lurks in. Old roots, grass and rotting flowers cover its body, leaving only glowing, yellow, pupil less eyes.

Some say It plays enchanting music, like the similar Pan figure, luring women and children into lakes to drown them. Others say it can shapeshift and take the shape of a horse or a beautiful woman to kidnap and lure people into the lakes. Some even compare it to the devil, to lure and punish sinners and unruly kids.

While there's a few different stories depending where you live, historians speculate the legend originated from small villages to make sure their children stay away from treacherous bogs around lakes. Patches of water covered by moss that seem solid enough to carry a person could easily be a deep, muddy pond that would only drag you further down as you struggle to get out.

Some say it's a creation of the Nix, to trap innocent explorers and visitors, making them easy to prey on.

It didn't help when people found well preserved human child mummification in shallow bogs. The more superstitious people were sure it was the action of Nix and only strengthened their belief, while historians and scientists concluded it was the way they buried people that died from disease, or simply people succumbing to the deceiving floating maps. Although they are unsure about the reason, some of the bodies were tied and surrounded by sticks, making small underwater prisons.

It is said if you see ripples in the lake, a Nix already has its eyes set on you.

Npc — He/Him Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/17 21:03:31 )
M E C H A N I C S

Luka sets off to help locate Vontell in the waters of Lake Breaker, when he finds himself the target of the swamp monster known as Nix. In his struggle to escape the creature, he becomes tangled in the weeds, unable to break free. Thankfully JC is there to assist, but he needs help detangling the weeds to free Luka.

Help JC get Luka out of the weeds by untangling them. Match the base of the weed to the correct top.

REMINDER! Please keep your answers in a spoiler.

ITEM UNLOCK AND STORY PROGRESSION

The Nix item as well as the closing story will be unlocked after:
at least 5 participants or all of the weeds have been successfully untangled.
-OR-
24 hours have passed if either of the above criteria has not been met

All participants will be granted one Nix.
Users will also receive 10 evidence for each untangled weed. If all are correctly untangled, a bonus of 50 evidence and an additional goodie bag will be rewarded.

Users can participate in the activity at ANY TIME during the event, even if it is not the currently active thread.

Answers must be provided by December 23rd at 11:59 Voltra Time.

Npc — He/Him Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/17 21:03:54 )
U N T A N G L E
    P U Z Z L E

Current participants: 5
    Correct answers: 4

Npc — He/Him Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/17 21:05:12 )

Freeing Luka from the weeds, JC pulls him back to the surface and onto the shore. They both cough, clearing the water from their lungs. Vigo and Milly rush to their aid.

"Luka! Are you alright?" Vigo holds the boy in his arms. Luka coughs a few more times, nodding weakly. JC pants, catching his breath.

"Luka...I am so sorry! I shouldn't have even considered allowing you to go off on your own! I put your life in danger," Concern washes over his face as he kneels down, placing his hand on Luka's shoulder, "Are you certain you're fine? I can rush you to the hospital, get you checked out--"

"I'm fine...I promise." He sits up, shivering. "May we go back inside? It's cold." Vigo nods, helping Luka to his feet. JC rubs at his neck, shame plastered over his face. Vigo gives him an irritated, icy glance.

"Perhaps it would be best to involve professionals in your endeavors, Officers. Rather than leaving it to civilians to aid you." JC and Milly nod in understanding, both of them remorseful for the outcome of asking for their assistance in the matter. "Come, Luka, I'll prepare you a warm drink." As they make their way back to the building, Luka glances back at the officers with a sad expression.

Milly frowns, sighing heavily. "Look, JC, I'm sorry. Asking them for help was a mistake--" JC cuts her off.

"I gave the order, Milly." He holds his hand out, grabbing his shirt from her arms. He begins to put it back on with a sigh, "Let's not dwell on the mistakes here tonight. We still need to locate Vontell. I didn't see any signs of him here." Milly nods, taking out her phone.

"Let me check in with Garry...see if he has any leads on his end." JC fastens the buttons on his shirt, visibly upset. Milly puts her hand on his shoulder, giving it a reassuring pat, "Listen if you need to take the evening off and go spend time with Cecelia - I got this." JC shakes his head.

"Finding Vontell is a priority. The Khiebus referenced a victim...but I don't think it was talking about our initial victim. Tch..." He balls his hands into tight fists. "I won't allow Vontell to--" Milly holds her finger to JC's face, silencing him.

"Alright, Captain Theatrics…save it for the stage." She pulls the phone from her ear. "That was a voicemail from Garry. He made some progress at the Ampere River and gave me a location to meet him. Let's get going." JC sighs, nodding as they make their way back to their vehicle.

Donator — She/Her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/17 21:15:41 )
    Low, keep your head, keep your head low...
    .......................................Oh, you gotta keep your head low...

@Luka:

A = 4
    B= 2
    C= 1
    D = 4

...If you wanna keep your head
    Mr. Spider wants M̷̖̥͓̋͆́̚o̶̟͛̅r̴̨͍͔̦̰͙̈́e̵̝͑̆͐

Donator — they/them Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/17 21:23:50 )
    ════════════════⠀ ∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

A4 B2 C1 D3

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘ ⠀════════════

⠀∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀art shop⠀·⠀gallery⠀·⠀closet⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀buying / questing: capricorn ⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

art by kiwi and koneko <3

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/17 22:24:54 )
    @Luka: Ok... you got it!!

A - 4
    B - 2
    C - 1
    D - 3

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Voltie — She/Her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/17 23:02:30 )

A4
    B2
    C1
    D3

Donator — whatever Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/17 23:41:23 )

A4
    B2
    C1
    D3

Please ping me!

Voltie — HIM Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/17 23:50:07 )
    You gotta @Mention me.

@Luka:

A - 4
    B - 2
    C - 1
    D - 3

Art by kiwi

Npc — He/Him Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/17 23:56:05 )
    Good work! Participation Goal Met!
    [Nix item has now been added to Joyful Jamboree.
    New Story Update on post four has also been unlocked.
    Continue to join in and play, the game isn't over until the end of the event]

Npc Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/18 00:27:45 )
    Thank you for all your help during this unfortunate circumstance. We don't know where we'd be without you.

You have received your rewards via inventory and trade.

Keep up the great work!

Reminder: This activity is available to participate in and earn rewards on until December 23rd 11:59 Voltra Time.

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/18 01:06:10 )
    ˑؘ ۪۪۫۫Formerly known as ChiffonOrange ۪۪۫۫ ؘ

@luka:

Donator — She/Her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/18 03:29:17 )
    @Luka:
    A4
    B2
    C1
    D3
    Rei's Quest
    Please ping me.

Donator — Am Potato Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/18 04:52:43 )
    @luka:
    1c 2b 3d 4a
    Call me Rena (Reh-nuh)! <3 married 02/02/2020
    Rena's Quest

Donator — They/them Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/18 07:05:18 )

@Luka: untangled

(Avatar Closet)

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/18 09:28:01 )
    My answers are:

1=C
    2=B
    3=D
    4=A

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/18 16:13:33 )
    @Luka

instructions unclear.

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/18 17:35:05 )

@Luka: not posting the graphic since I’m on mobile. ^^;

A to 4
    B to 2
    C to 1
    D to 3

By Ghost
    https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
    Discord: Totalanimefan
    @me
    I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
    Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
    Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.