Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat December Discussion

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/5 23:09:23 )
@Totalanimefan: It sounds like you're making the most of it -and I'm glad to hear that- but that doesn't negate the stress from the uncertainty, so again, I wish you well with all of that.

LOL at the snow and all the stuck vehicles. It doesn't help that on the whole, the weather forecasts are kind of hit-or-miss...

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/6 00:31:04 )

@Wildfire: thank you. I’m still very hurt/mourning over my dog that I put down just before Thanksgiving. It was so sick it was time but I still miss him a lot. Yesterday I opened my planner/note taker for the first time since before he was gone and it was hard to see the date for that appt in my calendar. And I had tracked if his days were good or bad in the lead up to his appointment.

I think I would have went crazy if that was me. But if you like to look for the helpers one of them was a driver for a truck that was carrying bread. So he gave everyone the food from the truck so at least people could eat. Of course that wasn’t for everyone up and down the whole highway but I thought it was a sweet story.

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/6 14:10:31 )
@Totalanimefan: Thanksgiving was only two weeks ago, Total - it's completely understandable that you'd still be missing and mourning your dog, especially when faced with something like that calendar log of yours, for him. :3

That was good of the bread person to share what they could. I really like it when people come together like that, with genuine hearts, etc. <3

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/6 22:53:41 )

@Wildfire: Thanks. I think it's hard since there is no guideline or path. Everyone's is different. Thanks for that.

I learned through the hurricanes that it's always important to look for the helpers and when needed be the helper too. It's so easy to see the one person who is an asshole and think everyone is an asshole, but it's not true.

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/7 14:20:54 )
@Wildfire: Things have been busy the closer Christmas comes. I am ready for a break. T_T
@Totalanimefan: My grandma would make french toast around the holidays along with mixing some butter, maple syrup, and cinnamon to pour on top. It reminded me a lot of cinnamon rolls. I should try and bring back that tradition. n_n

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/7 14:34:45 )
@Totalanimefan: it's emotional and psychological... of course there's no "one size fits all" process for grieving, and no template or path or guideline for it. It's individual. It's unique for every person and every situation. There's really no "one size fits all" template for much of anything in life. All we can really do is come up with generalized patterns for things (in the case of grief, the 5 stages: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance), but even if we look at the generalized patterns, the details and individual experiences are still individual and there's still plenty of examples that don't fit in to that "average pattern". All you can do is let yourself process it as you are ready to process it :3

Looking for the helpers is a good practice, imo. There are often more of them than not, especially in a severe situation like the aftermath of a hurricane :3

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/7 14:36:52 )
@Lotus: Things do tend to get a bit hectic around this time of year. I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling those stresses so much... and yes, you do sound a little stressed. I really hope you get your break soon. Do you think you will??

If it helps, I'm also very much looking forward to getting a break soon. It's overdue and I really need it too.

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/7 16:16:48 )

@Lotus: that sounds so freaking good! Maybe I should make that. Will you make that this Dec?

@Wildfire: yeah true. I just feel like I gotta be in survival mode. Lots of stuff happening in my life right now. But maybe things will slow down soon and I can take time for myself.
Yeah you are right :)

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/7 16:29:52 )
@Wildfire: I think I will, I may even just take longer off to allow myself a break as I never take breaks or time off.
@Totalanimefan: If I have the time with everything else I have planned, definitely will be. I hope you like it if you try it out. n_n

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/7 16:37:42 )
@Totalanimefan:
@Lotus:

It's really a shame that our modern culture doesn't seem to value "down time". We need it... and I hope you both get a chance to take the time for yourselves that you need :3 <3

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/7 16:57:52 )
@Wildfire: Thank you. Down time is always so important, you deserve it as well. <3

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/7 16:58:55 )

@Wildfire: Thank you. I agree with that. Although I guess the stuff I did this week was like one off, but I seem to be having a lot of those lately lol
@Lotus: Great and I'll let you know if I do as well.

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/7 17:24:27 )
@Totalanimefan: Awesome, I know that she used to do 1 tsp of butter to 1 tbsp maple syrup so it wasn't very oily given the french toast was also cooked in butter. For the cinnamon, grandma would do 1/2 tsp. I may do 1/4 tsp, then add 1/8 tsp ground ginger and 1/8 tsp ground cloves and see how that turns out as a kid I would always find ginger and cloves to be too much. n_n;

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/7 17:43:25 )

@Lotus: my mom also uses vanilla and cinnamon in her French toast recipe. She wouldn’t put the cinnamon in the batter but put in on the already dipped bread when it was frying up.
One time I did try it with pumpkin pie spices instead and it was different but I think that vanilla and cinnamon is the way to go :)

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/7 18:29:02 )
@Totalanimefan: Vanilla and cinnamon are always a win. n_n I am wondering if it would be good to do french toast as a dessert-based dish for those who won't want pie and just serve it with french vanilla bean ice cream and pour the glaze my grandma made with chopped walnuts or pecans on top. Oh, even adding some baked apples to it. Now I'm hungry. T_T xD

Voltie — HIM Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/7 19:39:08 )
You gotta @Mention me.

My GF's family Christmas tradition is having lasagna for a Christmas meal.
So I'm looking forward to eating ridiculous amounts of lasagna.
Not looking forward to making it, because it's a big process with the layering.

Art by kiwi

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/7 20:20:59 )

@Lotus: wow that all sounds so good! I think you can’t do wrong no matter what you do

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/7 23:47:29 )
@Lotus: I am going to do my best to make sure I get some serious down time asap - thank you.

@Totalanimefan: It's hard to just "stop", isn't it? I'm glad you're getting at least some rest, even if it's "one off" :3

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/8 04:10:09 )

@Wildfire: thanks. I signed the papers to sell my house this week and my husband became a citizen.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/8 13:23:33 )
@Rallaa: Lasagne for Christmas? That's interesting. I don't blame you though as it's a process, definitely rewarding though!
Totalanimefan: I agree, changing things up from the norm may start a new tradition even eh? Congratulations to your husband and selling your home is a big thing, here is to more memories wherever you both rest your head in the end. <3
@Wildfire: Good. You do so much and it's going to be nice for you to unwind. <3

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.