Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk I need to get this off my chest...

Voltie Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/9 09:41:47 )
The following rant is about sexuality, specifically asexuality and a member of my family's inability to accept mine.

I am an asexual person. I am perfectly okay with this and it took me a long time, years even, to come to terms and accept this aspect of myself. Sometimes I still falter, because of the way I was raised the the kind of hyper-sexualized, sometimes over sexualized, society we live in today; but mostly I am still solid and sure that I am in fact asexual.
Now, not many people in my life (real life) actually know this fact about me. I don't really think they care much, but there are a few people I have told about it, and I have explained to those people what it means to be asexual. In any aspect not just my own dealings being sex-neutral/indifferent and not actively wanting to engage in any sort of sexual life. It just doesn't satisfy me and I don't want it.
One of these people that I have talked to about it is one of my younger step-sisters. She is 20, has two kids now, and thinks life revolves around sex. I explain my asexuality to her and she's one of those "you just haven't found the right person" types, which is the exact thing she said to me. I told her she was wrong, she shrugged it off like my personal feelings didn't matter. Nor the personal feelings of the other thousands of asexuals out there.
But now, now is where the super annoying part comes in. She has tried to take it upon herself to try and "hook me up" with someone. Someone I don't know, someone who doesn't know me, and worst of all someone who is her friend. (And I hate my step-sister, tbh. I can not stand this woman.) So she tries to invite me to her house under the ruse of just hanging out and drinking/smoking a little. I sniff her ulterior motives fifteen miles away the second she says she has "another friend" coming.
Now this is annoying because I have been single for five years, and I am happily single. Honestly, I truly am. I don't really think I am the type to have a relationship right now because I barely know how to handle myself some days. Mental illness has ripped apart my life in many ways and I'm running out of duct tape to try and hold it together; and I don't want to try and deal with someone else during that time. I don't want to bring someone else down, or have them leave me in a worse state, or have then think they are my magic cure all, or whatever else. I don't want it, and I am fine being single. I have my cat, I have Netflix, and I always have pizza rolls. I'm as happy as a chronically depressed person can get.
I'm okay with my single-ness and my step-sister can not freaking accept that. She doesn't take me at my word and she thinks she knows better about what I want and what is best for me. And I have tried, countless times, to tell her to leave it alone. To tell her that I am fine and I don't want to date anyone but she doesn't get it! She never accepts it and I am at my wits end trying to deal with her. Hell, to get out of this last meeting I had to lie and tell her I had food poisoning and even then she hounded me ALL DAY to try and get me to come out there. It's just ridiculous and I want to scream. I just don't know what to do anymore.

Voltie — she/her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/9 11:24:29 )
@Anarchist Beauty: I'm really sorry you're going through that. Having issues where people in your life don't accept some part of you... those are some of the worst issues. Not being accepted for who you are is painful.

I just want you to know: I believe you are valid in your asexuality, and that nothing about you needs to change. I believe you when you say you're content to be single.

*offers hugs* I'm glad you could get this off your chest here. I hope she stops bothering you about this in the future.

Voltie Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/9 22:02:59 )

@superbearwars: Thank-you. <3
And it's not even 100% about me being ace, it's mostly about the fact that I have told on many occasions that even if I wasn't ace I still don't want to date.
Even if I did want to date I wouldn't trust her judgement on people anyway because her friends suck and she has no idea the kind of relationship I want.
She just wants me to get laid, and I don't want that at all.
It's just frustrating.

Voltie — she/her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/9 23:11:26 )
@Anarchist Beauty: Yeah, that's definitely frustrating. :/
dear Lord I need a new signature someone help me

Donator — A.I. Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/9 23:31:29 )
I'm sorry that people can be such buttheads sometimes, family (including step-family) even more so. Often it's a sense of entitlement due to familial bonds or experience or whatever, and other times it's just because someone's a control freak. In her case it may be because she has kids, idk. xD Whatever the reason, I would just try and avoid her for a little while, which I know you're trying to do. I'm the kind of cold person who will ignore calls and messages, but the route you choose will be your own.

Voltie Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/10 01:41:53 )

@Vii: Trust me, I ignore her as often as I possibly can.
And I don't know what her issue is, because I'm not giving her the excuse of her own kids because she knows I don't want kids. And sex can lead to children. Don't want any of that.

Donator — A.I. Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/10 02:13:28 )
@Anarchist Beauty: Some people are just too worried about what other people are up to. c':

BTW, nice pixel bottle! I like it, and it looks great! ^-^
[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Voltie Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/10 10:48:39 )

@Vii: Yeah, it's ridiculous, annoying, and sad.

Why thank-you! I'm very proud of this one. c:

Donator — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/10 19:49:42 )
Family can be like that, but that's almost excessive. At this point, she should be happy that you're happy and not trying to push you into thibgs you don't want.

Maybe try punching her in the lady bits each time she tries to set you up?

Donator — Winchester Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/10 20:14:01 )
@Anarchist Beauty: your story reminds me of a story I saw a while ago, but of a lesbian. She also had a sister who kept saying she just hadn't found the right guy yet. So she, the lesbian, said to her sister that the sister was attracted to llamas', but just hadn't found the right llama yet. So maybe try something like that.

Voltie Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/10 22:06:40 )

@Aellotyphoeus: It's beyond excessive, it's straight up ridiculous at this point.
Honestly, kicking her would help more. I'm stronger in my legs. Haha.

@Tuijp: Honestly that's not a bad idea.
I'll have to remember those little tricks the next time she pulls her bullshit.
After kicking her. lol

Donator — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/10 22:09:55 )
@Anarchist Beauty: Yeah. So kick her while telling her she hasn't found the right llama. Each time she texts you or something to set you up, you should send her an unsolicited Llama pic!

Voltie Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/10 22:12:09 )

@Aellotyphoeus: Yes!
Good plan!
ALL THE LLAMA PICS!

Donator — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/10 22:16:45 )
@Anarchist Beauty: It's a good way to get back at her and confuse her at the same time. Maybe it'll get her to understand a little better?

Voltie Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/10 22:24:28 )

@Aellotyphoeus: One can only hope.

Donator — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/10 22:26:15 )
@Anarchist Beauty: At least it would give you a little laugh? That might make it a smidge less aggravating.
Quest Link
Please Mention. I tend to poof and need reminding.
44.1/50k

Voltie Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/10 23:11:59 )

@Aellotyphoeus: True, I would love to have a laugh over it.
Since right now I'm just going insane with the stupidity of it all.

Donator — Winchester Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/10 23:15:04 )
@Anarchist Beauty: if you kick her, she will probably whine and complain about it for a very long time

Voltie Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/10 23:35:27 )

@Tuijp: I'd rather her complain about me kicking her than her trying to hook me up with her friends.

Donator — Winchester Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/11 00:15:53 )
@Anarchist Beauty: I'd personally annoy her back until it drives her insane

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.