Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Any tips on losing weight?

Voltie — She/Her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/10/4 19:49:44 )
I want to lose weight for my sisters wedding next month, I want to eat least drop 20 pounds if not more. Any tips?

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/10/4 21:30:28 )

@WiltedFacade: It's a complicated topic. I would say try not to eat within 2-3 hours of going to bed, drink a bit more water and go for walks as starters. After those small changes you can make some bigger ones. Also if you drink a lot of soda or juice try to ween yourself off of it.
A healthy weight lost is something like 2 lbs per week, so I don't know if you can do 20 that quickly, but you can look better and feel better without changing everything at once.

Donator — UWU/ Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/10/4 21:43:52 )
@wiltedfacade: if you have been actively exercising for a while, you can do a bit extra hard from your usual routine.

but if you're sedentary (less active), I suggest these tips:
+ reduce portion of food from your usual amount (1/4, 1/3, 1/2 till its small enough as a plate) ((very important))
+ be selective with your food choices ((very important))

more info links about the top two Healthy plate portion & food intake

+ if you're not used to eat healthy food, you can do them in progressions. dont force yourself to get rid of your fave unhealthy foods immediately, you can do reduced portions instead or like eat them in tea time hours only.
+ if you can cut down an unhealthy food completely, you can do so! but please try avoid crash course if you can.
+ when in doubt of your food choices, you can google them and also find some alternatives that is acceptable to you if you cant do full healthy food choices yet.
+ even if you cant do full exercise, moving around and do chores is plenty for weight loss. if you are able to do normal cardio or some runs, that helps also
+ drink plenty of water. the amount level depends on your activity.
+ please take plenty of rests in between interval of workouts so you are able to finish them all.
+ sleep at least min of 6 hours, 8 hours is optimum. if you have sleep problems, try to get at least 4 hours (nap time) and get some medication to help you get more sleep. its for helping ya endure the exercise routine and other important life chores eg: going to work ((very important))

i hope that even after the wedding, you will continue to eat more portions of healthy food in the long run while can still enjoy treats! I hope this helps!

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/10/4 23:35:43 )

@Kairu: You made a great post Kairu! I wish we had a like system or tip system. ^^

Voltie — She/Her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/10/5 00:01:39 )
@Totalanimefan: I do the don't eat before bed its a good method, i drink green smoothies full of mangos and grass and all the grossest things you'd imagine LOL they're supposed to be healthy but i may go on walks tbh. i drink water like a sea creature who is drying up.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/10/5 00:02:36 )
@Kairu: This is really good info thank you!

Donator — UWU/ Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/10/5 00:23:05 )
@wiltedfacade: glad that i can help
@totalanimefan: glad that you like em too!

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/10/5 04:19:40 )

@WiltedFacade: sometimes smoothies can have a lot of hidden sugar. It depends on what is in it. And good food doesn’t have to taste bad. Think like veggies that you like or a great chicken recipe. Kairu gave a lot of great tips. I don’t know where you are in your journey so I wanted to keep it simple to start. :)

@Kairu: <3

Donator — she/they/him Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/10/5 04:30:30 )

eat unprocessed whole foods
count your calories in & calories out
weight loss essentially boils down to
CICO or calories in calories out

☥ "Think of me when you look at the night sky" ☥

leave me msgs here

The Crooked Dog Inn

plz ping me!

Voltie — She/Her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/10/5 13:42:00 )
@Totalanimefan: They're supposed to be healthy i'm mainly drinking them for the mango in it since mangos can prevent some cancers i've heard, that and berries so i mix berries with chicken (Ik sounds gross but it's actually kinda good, tho i like chicken grape sandwiches more. I def got a lot of good advice on here! So thank you! I'm a beginner lol

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/10/5 15:49:48 )

@WiltedFacade: It's no problem. Lots of people in the community have gone through their own weight lost journeys or have decided to eat healthier. I am luckily that I never needed to lose more than like 5 pounds, BUT I grew up completely addicted to sugar.

My Dad and Grandpa are/were diabetic and never really took care of it. I decided that I didn't want to be like that. I didn't want to be obese like them, I didn't want to have that horrible disease. Growing up I was so addicted, I could eat like 3-4 donuts at once and then come back again in the afternoon, I would drink soda, I would search the whole house (or a friend's house) for sugar if I had a craving. The list goes on. I think growing up the only reason I wasn't fat was cause I was in Taekwondo. So I when I was in my young 20's I decided to cut sugar. Of course I still have sugar sometimes, I love baked goods, but to me, it's about everything in moderation. I also live car-free so I walk a lot. I also love riding my bike but I only do that sometimes. :) I also cut soda out of my life and now I find it too sweet if I have more than a few sips. I can't even finish a whole soda anymore haha. Baked goods still a weakness tho.

Donator — UWU/ Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/10/5 20:02:04 )
@wiltedfacade:
@totalanimefan:

there are some fruits that have natural sugar but should be eaten in moderation. fruits like apples, oranges and bananas are indeed healthy and natural sugar but they are still sugar. Their sugar still counts in your total food amount per day.

Normally I mention calorie count too. But cos you mentioned that you're a beginner, I rather suggest that you shouldn't think about it too much for your first phase of dieting. Instead, you cut them down in progressions as I mentioned above posts. If you have started to get used to it, then you can start changing your food choices slowly into more healthier options. You can also start looking in depth through calorie count and what helps your body etc (eg: if youre anxious, you might want to avoid so much caffeine etc)

The ultimate end goal is having losing weight, yes I agree. But I think fixing internally is much efficient in the long run. Eating less and less portion until its right amount then eating quality food progression gives you more permanent result. you might not be showing signs of weight loss in numbers but internally your stomach and then later your muscle fats is less and smaller in amount. the weight number follows. so is your desire to do gym like workouts.

It took me couple of months to have my stomach to get it smaller. Moving proactively (depends on your level of intensity and if you're much healthier than me the better you do much normal exercise) will help ya get the weight loss count.

I can promise you that it works because on my first few months of dieting, I started with drinking lots of sugary drinks/ and foods, eating salty chips and my portion is unbalanced. few months later, i am not looking for chips anymore. I still eat rice because it fills me but I can don't eat em all day. I have taken a liking of eating less salty/sugary foods. the first few times of attempting of eating a salad was difficult, it eventually grow on me. I am however in a process of making a monthly cycle of healthy meal plan cos i get to fed up with same food every week. I have increased my movement recently. it has done wonders in my mental state.

please ping me if you have some questions.

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/10/5 20:04:13 )

@Kairu: I totally agree with you! This is another great write up ^^ I'm glad that things are working out for you. It's so important that we all try to better our health.

Donator — UWU/ Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/10/5 20:11:24 )
@Totalanimefan: ty >u<b I wanted to prep an increased mobility so that I can go places with my fam. There are areas that are nice but doesn't have chairs around. Asian malls are the worse place to even find one cos they rather have more stalls/shops than chairs. I get it though. so I wanted to lose weight for that very reason.

travelling overseas is my ultimate goal too!
月の兎 ☆★☆ 鹿の光
カイル • WISHLIST

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/10/5 22:34:10 )

@Kairu: Those are all wonderful reasons to be good to yourself and work on your health. I wish my Dad was the same. He's only 62 but very overweight, diabetic, and already has a lost toe to infection. He can't walk much without his feet bleeding.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/10/6 14:51:16 )
I think the only healthy way to help that, that i can personally think of and recommend is only drinking water and a fair amount of it, no sodas/juices etc.
Not too knowledgeable about other healthy ways since my eating routine is weird as can be lol.
I guess there is calorie counting too, but i don't know the ins and outs of it.

Good luck though and hope you'll have a great time at your sister's wedding c:
Sorry if Reply late!
Please ping me!

Questing

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/10/6 15:22:31 )
@WiltedFacade:
From my quick view of the thread, you've already received some decent advice here! ... but I'll add a couple of my own quick thoughts anyway XD

Weight loss is a complicated topic, and everyone gains and loses weight differently. Also, although I understand your motives for wanting to shed some weight for a wedding, a healthier motivation for losing weight would be better health overall - something that's not a quick "once and done" thing.

General things to do:
- cook and eat real food (not packaged; not take-out). Look for simple recipes online. Cooking healthy does not have to be complicated.
- limit carbs & starches (potatoes, pasta, rice, cheese, etc.)
- watch your snacking; you'd be surprised at how much we can eat without even realizing it.
- eat more veggies and more salad; avoid most salad dressing & sauces- the bottled/premade stuff people usually put on their food tends to be loaded with sugars and calories and no nutritional value
- move your body more - whatever this means to you, but don't overdo it.
- drink more water & absolutely ditch the soda/alcohol/drinks. A lot of the time, we think we're hungry but we're actually just slightly dehydrated

Good luck & enjoy the wedding.

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/10/6 15:30:28 )
ALSO, losing 20lbs in a month is not the most healthy or realistic, so you might want to adjust your expectations and prepare yourself to deal with side-effects from changing your diet (headaches, body aches, etc.) about trying to lose that much weight in a month... you might get withdrawals, etc., from foods that you don't even realize you're "addicted" to (caffeine, sugar, certain additives, etc.)... which also brings up the possibility of actually being allergic/sensitive to certain foods, which can lead to bloat and the appearance of weight gain.

You might actually want to look in to something like the Whole30 or AIP (anti-inflammatory protocol) diet programs - both of which are elimination/"clearing" diets...

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/27 03:35:09 )
Stop eating artificial sugars and corn syrup. They don't properly breakdown in the body and trick your metabolism into storing fat even when exercising.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.