Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk diet/health advice, I'm hopeless

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/23 17:05:23 )

I've been having some metabolism struggles over the last year. I blame much of it on a birth control implant in my arm since that causes weight gain for some, and I absolutely gained 20lbs in the first month I had it put in and that at the time was the heaviest that I'd ever been (3 years ago). By now I've gained another 15lbs.
I cant eliminate this medicine for health and no-babies reasons, so I'm trying to combat it! Idk if my diet is complete trash or what, but I cant get control over my weight.
I also just turned 30 so that also doesn't help.

One thing that might be problematic (?) is I eat a lot of rice/noodle/pasta as a staple for many of my meals.
I am not vegan or vegetarian but this past year its been increasingly difficult for me to stomach meats. I've always struggled with food aversions mostly due to textures, and quality of meat is plummeting here unless I buy really expensive slices :vanora_annoyed: So its all really gritty and fatty and gross for me. I used to LOVE chicken, and have this recent chicken salad recipe I made that was real good. But once my tooth hits that chewy grit, it takes all my muscle power to not vomit.
This makes me rely more on pasta/noodles/rice to pair with vegetable dishes or soups to make them filling.

I've cut soda mostly out of my diet cause that used to be an every day drink. (admittedly I broke that rule last week cause I had a mad case of "fuck its", trying to work on will power again) That probably contributed a lot to weight gains.
But I rely on caffeine for ADHD so much that I still drink coffee when I'm at work. Helps me do numbers with less mistakes, cause I'm brain dumb. Kureg coffees with a big ol chunk of creamer cause I drink em white. So maybe this isn't helping me either? Not even sure which is better or if I just traded one evil for another. :vanora_stunned:

I recently cut chips out of my diet and replaced them with crackers. Google said that crackers are pretty chill. Its easier for me to pace myself with eating crackers too because they're so salty, so I also have less volume that I snack on but feel a bit more fulfilled.

I am starting to replace bread (wheat, if I do eat bread, cause wheat is the best) with tortillas, which isn't a huge difference but like maybe that helps too dfkgjhdf

Am I just doing this all wrong or is there a way to still enjoy these foods that I love and not keep gaining or plateauing in weight??

I'm only 25lbs overweight so its not a lot but it feels almost impossible to shave it back off. I dropped 5 lbs last week and then I decided I wanted a chocolate bar. Right back up to where I started! The best I've ever been able to do in all these 3 years is plateau and then slowly gain an additional 5lbs by the end of the year. I miss my tummy man and my back not rolling from under my bra strap (but ngl thick thighs save lives, thats one happy takeaway from gaining weight lmaoo)

As for exercise, cause I know thats more important than any of this, its been really difficult keeping up with that too. I'll hit up the neighborhood gym once a week for about 30 min. But I can't do it every day because I'm gone 12 hours a day for my job :vanora_cry: At work I'll stretch and walk laps around the showroom but its not a place where I can really work out.

I REALLY miss the days when I could walk to my jobs in the past, cause I felt so energetic then and strong! And less muscle pains of course, cause working out is good for that sometimes. But I can't walk to work here. Its a 30 min drive~

I'm fully open for advice and pls don't feel cautious about offending me. Like my managers already saying "you gotta change your whole lifestyle" and pokes fun that I'm not making time for daily workouts because I would rather not wake up any earlier than I do already. I'm not offended if this is the truth of it, but just hopeful that maybe it IS just a matter of tweaking my diet in the right way that weekly workouts and daily indoor walks at my job might be enough if I combine the right efforts with it.

As someone who lived most my life underweight, I've never experienced this before. So any tips are appreciated <3

[disclaimer: Please dont take this as a "weight is not beauty" message!! I do not feel ugly or anything of that sort. This is really a preference for my own flesh, not for the sake of an image. A number on our scale does not determine our beauty]

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/23 17:17:48 )

@Jolly: I would talk to your Dr about your weight gain. It's normal to gain some weight, but I feel like you are putting on a lot quickly. It could be something unrelated to diet and exercise. Also I know you have your way of taking BC, but I'm on the pill and it works for me. Maybe you just need a different form of BC?
As for what you are doing those are good first steps! Maybe try to make sure you aren't eating too close to bed time. Try not eating anything 2 hours before bed.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/23 17:26:30 )

@Totalanimefan:
Eating too close to bed time is another one I forgot to mention! I used to always have early dinners, but with this job, I dont get home until 830-9pm. We have to quickly cook dinner, scarf it down and be asleep by 1030p so we can wake up at 730a and do it all again. I loathe this lifestyle but I do love affording things lmao

I never did try the pill because I'm so insanely bad at keeping up with daily routines! I originally got my implant to help with pains, cause I knew if I missed a pill schedule that my pain would get way worse for a bit and with the implant I dont need to think about it. But now that I have a partner I'm hella paranoid about accident babies, cause every woman I know irl has one. I'm mad terrified of ever getting preg :vanora_stunned: Would you say that is much of a problem with the pills?

*edit I guess I should add that I trust condoms as well as I trust a piece of paper lmfao
maybe I'm overly paranoid

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/23 17:41:53 )

@Jolly: I think with the pill I've only gained maybe 3-5 pounds over the years, but that could also be because I'm older. I have an alarm that goes off every night and I take it then, if I can I take it when I'm home again. I set it for 9:30pm but everyone is different. My husband also reminds me when he hears the alarm. In the beginning I did miss it a few times but you can go over to do if that happens when you are at the Drs. But I do agree the pill isn't for everyone. And there are also different BC pills to take. I take an estrogen based one, but my sister couldn't cause it gave her migraines. So she's on a non-estrogen based BC pill.
I'm no doctor, but I do think it's a little unusual that you gained so much weight in such a short amount of time. I would get checked out because it could be something unrelated or that form of BC just isn't the right one for you?

With you living in TX, and with the way the US is right now, I think that you should be thinking about BC, because it's not the right time to have a baby if you don't want one.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/23 17:51:26 )

@Totalanimefan:
I appreciate your advice. I never knew what was considered normal or abnormal amount of weight gain. I am struggling big time with finding a Dr here in TX, but I managed to hook up a video meeting with one in april. I may ask them about this all at that time, since they agreed to combine a consultation with the care establishment in the same meeting. Perhaps it would be easier to obtain pills anyways if they also think this is a good idea.
I have called around every clinic within 20 miles of me cause my implant is actually due for a replacement. Everyone acts all sweet and friendly until I say the name "Nexplanon" and then they audibly gasp sometimes and the tones shift like "OH did you say.... nexplanon?? Oh that changes everything"
LIKE WTF ITS JUST A LITTLE STICK
everyone's so stunned when I bring it up :vanora_xd:

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/23 17:57:52 )

Fun tidbit, my lady manager tried the nexplanon bc implant after learning about it from me, cause she now has 2 accident babies and she never wanted any kids. She wanted more guarantee.
Well, she got it, and it did her hormones like it does to mine and made her super depressed and anxious and she came to work a raging B a few times. She and I bumped heads two or three times before it got so overblown, we had to both sit in the office and talk it out. Like why the hell we keep fighting.
We realized its our implants and so she got her's removed :vanora_xd:
Once her body readjusted she sat with me like
"Holy crap, I've never felt depression before that happened. I'm so happy now. How do you do this"

For me it felt like a subtle change in mood cause I've always had depression so I just manage it in ways I always do. I just cry more easily lmao

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/23 18:04:10 )

@Jolly: Those implants are no joke! lol
I hope you get this all worked out soon.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/23 18:09:32 )

@Totalanimefan:
I do too ;;
this why I tried that non-hormonal IUD but that went disastrously wrong so
not going down that road again!
I wonder if the no-hormone pill would help my moods. Must wait til april 6 to find out with this new Dr person!

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/23 18:32:53 )

@Jolly: Yeah I remember that one. I wouldn't do that again. It's too bad that one didn't work out though.
Yeah make sure you tell them about the side effects and about the weight gain.
And I know I said this before, but I'm not a Dr (duh) so really make sure that you get the best advice from them. You shouldn't have to work this hard to not gain weight.

Donator — He/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/23 18:46:07 )

I had a similar problem with rapid weight gain due to medication; unfortunately, the only thing that helped for me was changing medication. Until then, I had to exercise for long periods every day and eat well under my recommended calories just to keep from gaining, but could never lose a pound. Since then, my weight has gone up and down over the years for a number of reasons, mostly stress/depression/life changes, etc but I still have never managed to go back down to where I was. It's extremely hard for me to lose weight even when I'm trying my best, and how slow of a process it is can make it easy to lose motivation. So take whatever I say with a grain of salt, as I am not a nutritionist or doctor, but here are the things I have learned and what's helped me:

-Instead of trying to completely cut out "junk" you really like, make space for it in moderation. Allow for it in much smaller amounts and tell yourself "If I really want this, I can still have it." That mindset kept me from feeling like I was missing out, which in turn made it easier for me to avoid those things for longer periods--and appreciate them more, making smaller amounts more satisfying.

-Instead of consistently trying to keep the same calorie goal all week, zig-zag by having one or two "cheat days". This is supposed to help prevent you from plateauing.

-Pay attention to your food and how you feel when eating, being mindful and using all senses. Stop when you are no longer hungry, regardless of how much you have left, and save the rest for later.

-If possible, eat smaller amounts more frequently throughout the day. I used to break up my lunch while at work and eat parts of it during my breaks, rather than all at once during lunch time.

-Try after-work walks. I could never stand to get up earlier than I had to and do anything before work, but I usually managed to walk a couple of miles every night after work despite being tired or sore from working, and I found that much easier. Especially if listening to music or talking on the phone with someone. Doesn't have to be a rigorous gym workout; the times when I've lost the most weight, all I did was take long walks every day (or night).

-Get a food/calorie tracking app. MyFitnessPal has helped me immensely lately, as it gives me an idea of what to be shooting for and lets me easily keep track of exactly how much I'm taking in--as well as logging exercise, water intake, and weight measurements.

-Try a step counter. This has also helped me a lot with getting in at least a minimum of daily activity. Set a step goal based on your weight and weight loss goal, and it makes getting in your steps almost like a game. Makes it easier for me to remember and encourages me to keep going. Also makes me feel more accomplished, even if it's such a small thing.

-Drink plenty of water. Good for you, also makes you less hungry. Win win. I usually keep a large cup with me at all times and fill it as soon as it's empty.

-Get good sleep. Easier said than done, I know from experience... but do your best to find a bedtime routine that works for you and avoid lights/distractions/caffeine at night as you're winding down for sleep. It definitely makes a difference.

-Weigh yourself only weekly, always around the same time: preferably first thing in the morning before you've eaten or gotten dressed. Don't bother weighing in any other time, as weight can fluctuate a lot throughout the day for a number of reasons. I noted a difference of 5 lbs between regular morning weigh-in and a random check in the evening. It can really mess up your motivation and understanding of your progress if you focus too much on the scale.

-Remember to read nutrition labels and account for serving sizes. It's wild how much more you could be getting than you'd think based on what counts as a serving. Same goes for what's actually in things as far as fat/sodium/sugar/carbs, and just how much is in some foods. I've gotten into the habit of reading the label on EVERYTHING before I buy it, unless I'm already familiar with it. Saves me a lot of headache later on realizing too late that something I thought was a healthier option was actually worse for me than what I was replacing with it. The more you get a feel for what's usually in certain types of foods, the easier it gets.

-Look for healthy, simple recipes and substitutions online. There is so much information out there, and a lot of great options to try out.

-Get more fiber. Try replacing some of your carbs with veggies and whole grains that don't contain added sugars. Things like riced cauliflower, zucchini spirals, and quinoa are good for bulking up dishes that would normally call for rice or noodles. Lettuce and cabbage leaves make good wraps in place of tortillas. So on an so on.

-Get plenty of protein. Like fiber, it will help you be full/satisfied while also being good for you. Non-meat sources like beans/legumes, certain grains and veggies, and seitan are all good options. Lean meats or nutrient-dense fish like salmon a couple of times a week are also healthy if you have access to them.

-Include healthy fats (not saturated or trans fats) in your diet. Nuts and avocados are good examples.

-Avoid processed food as much as possible. This stuff is often stripped of nutrition and filled with additives.

-Acquire a taste for black coffee. Or at least coffee with less cream/sugar in it. Coffee can be good for you, but of course the added stuff not so much. Black coffee is also said to help with your metabolism and potentially weight loss.

-Try replacing soda with sparkling water. It even comes in caffeinated form these days, which is kinda cool. Just don't overdo it on caffeine!

-Drink more water. Because good hydration bears repeating.

-Try not to over-focus on these things, and just let them become habit. Don't stress if you mess it up; just keep going! Don't think of it as going on a diet; you are just making changes for the better.

-Pretend the unhealthy stuff is yucky. May not work for everyone, or all the time, but I've noticed if I crinkle my nose at some junk food I used to like, I feel less interested in taking it home with me. And the longer I go without eating it, the less I actually enjoy it when I do try it again later on. Tastes can be changed, and it's crazy to me how I can now taste the difference in things I couldn't before. I actually notice when something has corn syrup or artificial colorings in it. I couldn't before, as I was so used to them.

Most importantly, though, talk to your doctor! If you're concerned--and if you're experiencing sudden, rapid weight gain due to medication, you're right to be concerned--don't let up in expressing this to them and finding out what to do about it. You may have other medication options you weren't even aware of, or they may have better suggestions for how to get your weight under control. And if you feel like they aren't listening or taking you seriously, be persistent.

I hope things work out well for you.

ALWAYS PING ME

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/23 19:05:48 )

@Count Trashula:
Thank you for the suggestions!! Of course, I will absolutely take the medicine up with my doctor. I just found one that I could at least schedule an online consult with (so hard finding a Dr here that accepts new patients rn! kinda bonkers) so I'll be taking this subject with me for that. I'm excited to see what advice they may give!

But either way, it sounds like you have some healthy tips in there even without weight loss being a problem. I do think that a lot of this advice is doable in some shape or form, even just for the sake of delicious healthy lifestyle.
Althouuuugghh, maybe I'll have to follow up on whatever happens when I try to not add creamers to my coffee :vanora_xd: I might start making unique noises from how bitter it is
Only reason I haven't turned to the caffeinated sparking waters is because of how MUCH caffeine they have and the prices. I want a soda amount of caffeine, not an energy drink. the non-caffeinated ones (like Ice and a similar off brand one I also found) I drank for most of last year, but they're either too sweet or taste like sad water.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/23 19:42:57 )

Count has an amazing write up! I wanted to say some of those things, but I have a bit of brain fog today so I felt like I couldn't express myself well. lol

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/23 23:26:08 )

@Totalanimefan:
haha no worries! I'm a bit brain foggy too
and i went into work today to find the big corporate boss man is here along with my regional manager. so maybe I'm getting some exercise by scrambling to fix broken adjustable bases and fix inventory bins :vanora_upsidedown:

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/24 00:20:09 )

@Jolly: Burn those calories at work lol. Double bonus.

Donator — PomePome Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/24 08:01:13 )
@Jolly: i would ask your doc if there are some other methods of birth control you can use w/wo hormones. W hormones i know some pills that arent let you gain weicht. I also gain 10 kg after getting my child but finally it goes down slowley
~Pls Ping me~
Nothing fancy to see here!!!

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/25 02:53:28 )

@Totalanimefan:
YUP
and then today EVEN MORE BIG BOSSES CAME IN
big boss man and regional boss man came in for day 2 and they poured in like 5 other corporate names with them. They looked like a mafia :vanora_xd:
Def possibly lost 1lb to running around in a 15 min time window to catch up on paperwork I didn't finish yesterday, before they come in. We had a slight heads up from their pilot who arrived first lmaoo

they're super nice people tho so the visit was fun

@Miss Sandman:
Yes, that is my intention <3 I'll see with my Dr if a non-hormonal pill might be a good option for me. Given that there aren't other causes to my weight gain

@koneko:
Yes, thanks for reminding me. I should definitely make sure there isn't something else causing this. ANd you're correct, there's nothing inherently wrong with being overweight. I dont look at myself and think "man I look unhealthy". I just recognize that somethings strange about this.
My biggest thing (aside from obv I wanna be sure that I'm healthy) is I start to feel my back starts to roll in places, in ways it never did before because I'm starting to flesh out there. I already roll a bit under my bra in the front if I sit or lean forward at all. Feeling my skin crease is distracting and massively uncomfortable to me, in a physical way. Like, not in a "how I look" way but like its uncomfortable feeeeeling it. If that makes sense? Its like how it is when a sock stitching bunches up under your pinky toe--its just real annoying.
I have already had to buy bigger bras and now I feel like I need to size up again cause of these rollllllss but I'd rather shave the excess off :vanora_sweat:

Hmm, yeah that makes sense about the muscle gain bit. I always relied on walking a lot cause I used to walk a TON before I could drive, and that was the only time in my life I had abs so I assumed I was doing something right lmaoo but maybe I can come up with some at-home exercises that can focus on my core, making that stronger. My abs are long gone and I feel like i slouch more cause my belly muscles are just not as strong as they used to be haha

Anyway, all this advice in here is super super helpful and motivating ;v;

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/25 03:13:22 )

@Jolly: That sounds a bit stresful, ngl lol
But I hope that you had a good day today.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/25 03:19:58 )

@Totalanimefan:
It was at first, but I met some of them before so it was pleasant catching up with the company director. He rooted me on personally back when I was moving to TX and looked happy to see me doing well here. My company is full of really kind people lol
Unless you do dumb things
*glances at my store manager*
but I'm not responsible for any issues going on in the store so I just sat aside and ate chocolate with my regional manager (who was also probably nervous) :vanora_xd:

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/25 03:43:15 )

@Jolly: Oh I'm glad they are nice people. Sometimes they have these complexes and they think that they are better than everyone else. It's awful.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.