Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Charities St. Patty's Pinch - Winners Announced

Donator — they/them Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/18 08:44:00 )
@Alorrena:
It's pretty nice here from what I have seen. I am sad that most just think of Amsterdam as the only 'place with canals'.
The truth is, there is canals in other areas, in fact, almost every place I've been to? I've seen a canal to be honest.
Amsterdam was the last place I visited when I came here first time (December 10th, 2018) and I tripped + fell on the train platform. xD;
There are so many other lovely places here, but, Amsterdam is nice as there's TONS of fellow Vegan activists and options for food.

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/18 08:50:32 )
@Vegan: That's awesome that there's such a community around there that fits with your lifestyle. I think a lot of people just don't really know much about anywhere else in the Netherlands. I know I haven't heard much about anywhere else. Where about in Oregon are you from?

@milkshake: gets pinched

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/18 08:50:47 )
and a pinch for @Siron:

Donator — they/them Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/18 08:56:42 )
@Alorrena:
Originally, I was in Springfield/Eugene area for many years until I got older then moved to a small town.
Still surprises me how close one of my best friends I met here (Ruby) was so close to me when I lived in Eugene/Springfield.

I agree, not many people know of other areas, some people may know of Rotterdam or Utrecht.
Then again, when I was in the American school system (before dropping out at 16), they told us 'Netherlands' is 'Holland'.

When in fact, the Netherlands is broken into different provinces and my husband sent me this video as it explains it better.
Also, my husband just said, "It makes sense that people who watch sports also refer to it as Holland".

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/18 09:03:09 )
@Vegan: you are not wrong about the US education system. :/

Ooh! I've been to Eugene! actually, like idk, 8 to 10 years ago? i went there with my friend with her uncle to visit her aunt and uncle, and her aunt took us to that big fair thing. country fair i think it was called. but her aunt and uncle lived in Eugene. Now i have a couple friends that moved from Idaho to live around there, actually.

It makes sense to me that the Netherlands is broken into provinces. i can't really explain why that makes sense though.

finding people to pinch is getting more and more difficult, but a pinch for @Selikait:

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/18 09:03:52 )
And a pinch for @GanksDankly:

Donator — they/them Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/18 09:05:54 )
@Alorrena:
The US education system is really messed up with a lot, I learned more by being online. xD;
Eugene is great! Lane County Fairgrounds? Those were good times! But, that's cool! :3
I also agree it makes sense that it's broken into different provences.

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/18 09:10:33 )
@Vegan: I really liked Oregon. It was really pretty there. I don't remember if that was it, but it was a big art fair that they have every year. i remember this one person made pom pom skirts that swayed so perfectly when you walked. they were basically pompoms on string attached to a belt at the top, and at the bottom was like a super flexible hula hoop or something that was definitely not a hula hoop.

Pinching @Hachi:

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/18 09:11:08 )
pinching @Crowly:

Donator — they/them Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/18 09:31:59 )
@Alorrena:
It really is pretty. I was born there and lived there my whole life before deciding to move here.
Ah, there is many different art fairs that happen there and that sounds awesome! :3
I will say that Eugene is very quirky, in fact, a lot of Oregon is, least, where I've been.
There is a reason Portland's slogan is, " Keep Portland weird. " - Love Portland as well. ^__^;

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/18 09:42:08 )
@Vegan: I think my aunt and uncle have a duplex in portland, actually. i've never been there, myself. i have been on the other side of oregon, of course, because i grew up in Idaho. I think everywhere i've been in Oregon is quirky, too. If I didn't move to Florida for my hubby, i would have probably moved to Oregon, actually. My best friend and their mom (the ones i said moved to the eugene area) moved not long after i moved to florida, and I'd be willing to bet i'd love living there.
What made you decide to move to the Netherlands?

Pinching @Aly:

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/18 09:42:28 )
Pinching @cnts:

Donator — they/them Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/18 09:59:18 )
@Alorrena:
It makes sense that you've been to the other side. I haven't explored all of Oregon myself to be fair. I moved here to close the Long-Distance gap with my husband. He was born here. He loves his job, etc. Do I miss my friends from Oregon? Absolutely. I have Sage and two other friends I am close to back in Oregon.

I always knew I wanted to move to UK or EU eventually and I questioned if it would be worth it, it absolutely has been. Prior to my marriage to my husband, the people I've dated in my past before him was someone from Louisiana. Before that person? Was someone from California. I could see myself loving either-or.

I went Vegan in 2016. My husband accepted I wanted to be Vegan after witnessing a lot more that my heart couldn't support anymore (and I believe that by people paying for animal products, it continues to keep demand for those said products. - I will say now, I am way less judgemental than I used to be, but, I still believe in my own opinion animals aren't meant for us. - I also don't believe or like much the blanket terms people will fall for "free-range" or "ethical"/"humane". ^__^;

After I went Vegan, my husband joined me when he got frustrated at seeing the "animal-party" here wasn't doing their job of claiming to care for animal welfare, later people were exposed for horrible practices in raising animals for "food".

I feel like being a Vegan in California would've been way easier than in Louisiana, especially since my ex-fiancée was a chef who loved to cook which was nice, and while he believed in a lot of the same things I did, I don't think it would've been a fit in the long term with his love of the idea of "harvesting" your own animals. The biggest overall issue is both of those people were very abusive in many different forms. I am glad to be where I am in life.

The person from California I am not so sure I could call myself engaged to him, even though we said we were, I feel like wouldn't understand why I went Vegan (I follow the philosophy and it's not a diet, the term veganism is based on lifestyle, not dietary changes) and his mother raised him on a lot of meat-heavy dishes (like one time, she fed me cow intestines she ordered from a restaurant and I just remember not being a fan, but, respect to her Mexican background for using every part of the animal, just, not my cup of tea).

I feel like I would've easily had a lot more health problems than I do now. I am still not healthy, but, I am working on that, in fact, I am seeing my dietician/nutritionist today to talk about my plan of action in how I want to go about losing weight, etc today!. ^__^

I apologize about my ranting on Veganism, it's just something I am very passionate over, and educate myself on how nutrition works for the fun of it, in the beginning, it was more than 3 hours a day at some times.

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/18 10:21:31 )
@Vegan: you're perfectly fine with your rant. i wouldn't really call it a rant, actually. just a story <3 I totally understand where a lot of vegans come from, and while i agree with most of the values, i personally don't have the resources to be vegan myself, and my hubby is definitely a carnivore. My aunt was Vegan for like 7 to 10 years, but wasn't able to get the nutrients she needed to eat so she had to start eating meat again. She did however do it for health reasons, rather than animal rights reasons. She was also pescatarian for a few years, but again, that didn't quite work out for her.
I totally understand friends and family questioning you moving away. i think they do that because they like you to be near them and want to make sure you'll be okay and as a way of showing you that they love and care for you. My family did the same thing when I decided to move. My mom was probably the most chill with it though because she can afford to come visit me at least once a year, if not more. She actually just took my hubby, me, and my older sibling to Disney in january for 10 days. She put the trip on her credit cards, and already has it all paid off. she also just asked if i wanted to go to a glass blowing class when i go visit in 10 days (for her birthday). Last time i visited was i think 3 years ago, actually, when i surprised her with the visit for her birthday! i'm really bad at getting back to Boise, but i'm hoping that it can be an every year thing moving forward.
Have you had a chance to visit your hometown since you moved?

Pinching @Operation Katana:

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/18 10:21:56 )
@Sleepi: also gets a pinch

Donator — they/them Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/18 10:33:40 )
@Alorrena:
I have not, I have to stay here for 5 years as I am on a 5-year residence permit.
Also, I moved here at the end of 2019, my permit was approved February 2020.
A week after I was approved to live here? Lockdown with COVID happened here.
I hope that my parents can come here sometime, but, until then? I am happy.
(Thank you for letting me ramble, also, sending you a message). :3

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/18 10:50:37 )
@Vegan: Well, hopefully they can come visit or, the 5 years goes quick. Yeah, lockdowns from covid happened in the US i think a month and a half after my wedding, but the first case of covid in florida happened like a month after my wedding. it's been a rough 2 years.

@PoeticTorment: gets a pinch, though i think she had green on earlier, but i don't remember and right now she does not.

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/18 10:51:58 )
@Araikou: gets pinched too. at this point, there are 4 people that have done pinching. hopefully we can get someone new to do some pinching of their own!

Also, i am going to bed! Can;t wait to see if anyone else does any more pinching while i am asleep!
Call me Rena (Reh-nuh)! <3 married 02/02/2020
Rena's Quest

Voltie — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/18 12:57:19 )

Please ping!! I am a busy mom and tend to get lost~

Lol I did but I saw this thread and changed it so there'd be more peps without green to get pinched. XD

Please ping!! I'm a busy mom and tend to get lost~

^^Page prizes = FREE Sketch!!
It's only forever~ It's not long at all...

Artist Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/18 14:44:42 )
@Vegan: we look cute~

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.