Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Show me your plants!

Donator — She/her Posted 3 weeks ago ( 2022/01/6 00:05:01 )

I've always liked nature and plants, but lately I've been super into houseplants. I want to see the beautiful greenery around me.
I bought two prayer plants in August and I've been casually taking care of them since then. On Jan 1st I bought three new plants, two Peperomia and one Calathea.
Please tell me about your journey with houseplants and which ones you have! Share your stories, tips and pictures with all of us!

Donator — She/her Posted 3 weeks ago ( 2022/01/6 00:11:05 )

Pics of my plants!

Donator Posted 2 weeks ago ( 2022/01/6 16:16:32 )
    I love plants but I'm terrible at keeping them alive. Literally all my plants die lol. I only have fake plants now, I have a bunch of them! They don't die!

Donator Posted 2 weeks ago ( 2022/01/6 16:17:04 )
    Totalanimefan:

[font=Verdana][size=14]Pics of my plants!

They look so healthy and happy!
[/size][/font]

Donator — They/Them Posted 2 weeks ago ( 2022/01/6 16:58:40 )
Not all my plants, but this is all I have energy for lol.
Mostly jade plants. I took broken pieces from store plants >_>. Shh. The biggest one started out as those two big leaves that were just starting to put out growth.
If you can see, tucked behind it on the back right is an ogre's ear succulent, which apparently is just another type of jade plant lol, but I'm so proud of it, it's actually grow quite a bit.

Random cutting in water, you can see it has some yellow spots from neglect :'''' ). I just put it in the shower today, I wonder if it will like it there for a while.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 weeks ago ( 2022/01/6 17:50:22 )

@sunny: I have some fake ones too! I try to get ones that look real.
It must be hard to take care of real plants because it's cold in the UK (to the plants). I heard that Snake Plants do really well if you just don't take care of them lol (I don't have them because I have pets)
And thanks for saying they look good. The 1st pic is just them the night I got them. So that was the store that did a great job lol. The 2nd pic is me taking care of those since Aug but the pic was taken yesterday.

@koneko: Your Monstera is so pretty! How long have you had it in water? Your succulents are cute. Do they grow slow or fast? I also like the little green Dino you have lol

Donator Posted 2 weeks ago ( 2022/01/6 18:32:52 )
    @Totalanimefan: oh we have a snake plant, it belongs to my mum tho so I am not in charge of it lol. It is pretty healthy. We also have water plants in our fish tanks, but they belong to my mum too.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 weeks ago ( 2022/01/6 18:56:22 )

@sunny: Haha tell your mom to teach you her tips. I've been learning a lot about plants in the past week. Different kinds have different requirements and want different things. It can be hard to keep track. Does your mom have any other plants?

Donator — They/Them Posted 2 weeks ago ( 2022/01/6 18:59:16 )
Total, thank you lol there’s a brontosaurus too, I think it fell somewhere.

Whenever I grow succulents from pups I feel like they grow reallllly slow, they’d probably grow faster with warmer light and more frequent watering, but they’re not dying so I’m happy lol. I got those like late summer I think.
The ogre ear grew fast in comparison to others (it grew from the leaf that’s now shriveled next to it), I bet it could grow a lot faster.

Idk how long it’s been in water, but I’ve kept clippings in water for… like at least a year and they’re fine. And they still put out new leaves, so it’s nice for low maintenance. I have some pothos clippings living in water too.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 weeks ago ( 2022/01/6 19:54:34 )

@koneko: I heard they don't like to be watered often, is it different when they are really young?
I heard that some plants can be happy and grow in water. I guess those are the types. Do you have to do anything to the water?

Donator — They/Them Posted 2 weeks ago ( 2022/01/6 20:16:54 )
That’s true, in soil you can overwater them.
From what I understand if the plant can grow roots in water, the roots adjust to that? So if I were to put a plant in soil that had grown roots in water, I would have to water it a lot and slowly taper down to a normal watering schedule.
I’m not sure if it will like the humidity from the shower or not though.

I don’t add anything to the water, but you probably could. If you’re propagating a plant in soil people suggest using rooting hormone, maybe you could put a little in the water? But I’ve never used it so idk.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 weeks ago ( 2022/01/6 21:09:13 )

Oh I see. I should remember that if I decided to propagate any of my plants. I haven't looked into that subject much but maybe I should because one of my prayer plants like to only grow out of one side, so maybe I could cut it off at a node and then grow new roots in water that way.
I'm sure it will like the extra humidity? Or it is not a tropical plant?

I did see on reddit someone that said they used a rooting hormone to have the propagations grow faster, but I don't know how much it costs or if it would be worth it anyway. If a plant is only growing in water will it need fertilizer ? Sorry for all of the questions lol

Donator — They/Them Posted 2 weeks ago ( 2022/01/6 21:18:01 )
Prayer plants do look tropical, but I’m not sure : o OH you meant the monstera lol, yeaaah but idk if random hot shower humidity and then cooling off would be great?

I’ve propagated adansonii, pothos and zz plants in water and it works really well for them, but I’m sure some plants wouldn’t tolerate it.

If you do propagate in water and want to pot them later, I feel like it’s easier to transition them if you don’t let the roots get toooo long. 1-3 inches is prob enough.
The plants I’ve left in water have super long roots and I’m sure they’d be a pain to transition T A T.

Let me know if you try it o u o
It’s fun to be able to watch the roots grow.

Donator — They/Them Posted 2 weeks ago ( 2022/01/6 21:21:41 )
No, you’re good with asking question, if I know I will tell you : D

I don’t think rooting hormone is tooo expensive, I just never felt like buying it and never needed it.
I know there are plants that you won’t have a lot of luck without it.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 weeks ago ( 2022/01/6 23:43:33 )

Prayer plants are tropical. ^^ Just like me! Oh I see what you mean. I guess you could google it? I would think it would like it, but I know next to nothing haha.
I heard that it's very easy to do Pothos in water. I haven't seen anything casually online about the others. So that's good for me to know. Also good tip about if I prop my only plants. I think I would have to wait until my prayer plant gets bigger? Also should or or shouldn't I propagate if I see new growth on the plant?

Donator — They/Them Posted 2 weeks ago ( 2022/01/7 05:38:57 )
As far as I know the only reason to trim/propagate a plant is because you want to keep it the same size/don’t want it to outgrow it’s pot or you just want more of that plant!
Or. Worst case, the rest of the plant got damaged/is dying and you want to try to save it.

You’re right about it being better to wait till the plant is more mature, but I would wait at least till you’ve had the plants a bit and you know they’re adjusted to your house, you know their watering schedule etc. I think the general rule for propagating is that you want ideally two or more leaves past a node, but I’ve had success with one.
That’s all general suggestions though, like you said plants like pothos are easy to propagate, where as some plants might be more sensitive.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 weeks ago ( 2022/01/7 18:34:54 )

Ok. I will remember the two or more nodes rule for the prayer plants. I watched a video yesterday on propagating Perperomias and it said you could just take one leaf and a little stem and it will grow a whole new plant! Kinda like how a succulent does.
My cat bit one of my plants for the first time today. It was the one I just got with big leaves. Well one of them now has two holes in them.

Donator Posted 2 weeks ago ( 2022/01/8 16:10:12 )
    @Totalanimefan: no the snake plant is our only survivor lol. I have been wanting a bonsai tree for yeaaaaaars but I know it would be a death sentence for the poor thing XD

currently: letting my novel rest; working on short stories

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — She/her Posted 2 weeks ago ( 2022/01/8 16:59:23 )

@sunny: those are so pretty but I have no idea what it’s like taking care of one of those. Probably tough?

By Ghost
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 weeks ago ( 2022/01/8 19:42:33 )

I have a snake plant and have absolutely no idea how to take care of it, just winging it
    it even went to my friends house, started thriving a bit, and then took it back and it's been off and on since xD

@ me tho. | Hangout. | OCs. | Avatars.
looking to buy: ARIES

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.