Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat How do you make tea?!

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/10 03:18:57 )
Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Okay, I think I've been making tea wrong my entire life.

I watch a few british shows, Doctor Who and Sherlock among them. And apparently I don't make tea correctly?

For us Americans, we either boil water on the stove or in the microwave, then add it to the cup. We then put a tea bag in the cup, leave it for about 5 minutes, add honey, remove/squeeze the tea bag, and then throw it away, and then drink the tea.

That's how we do it in my house, anyway.

What I see on British shows, however ... they have this cute little kettle thingie that they make the tea in, and then pour it into the cup already finished.

Can anybody tell me how to PROPERLY make tea?!

We're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/10 03:32:58 )
    As a Brit, this is hilarious. I'm sorry. Here is a handy video . Also, tea making varies from country to country, and it depends on the tea you use, but that video is how Brits make 99% of tea.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/10 03:37:06 )

@Delightfully: Wait ... you can re-use them?! Since when?! I thought all the tea leaves inside the bag were used up when you used them!

@sunny: I will definitely watch that video! Thank you :)

Donator — buckaroo Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/10 03:47:25 )

@sunny:
ahh love that my night consisted of Florence Pugh teaching me how to make a proper cup of tea
my queen T^T

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/10 04:00:33 )

@Delightfully: To be honest, I normally drown the taste of the tea in honey anyway, so ....

Donator — Frog bless Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/10 16:32:16 )
Temperature of the water can make a difference as well depending on what kind of tea you are using. That's why I asked for an electric kettle with a temperature setting for xmas this year lol.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Voltie — Caffeine Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/10 16:53:21 )
Depends on how lazy I am tbh. Often I'll go all-out and use the electric kettle and do it the 'proper' way. Our kettle is pretty quick, but rinsing out and filling can be tedious.

But when I'm really lazy and don't want to wait, I'll pop a mug of water in the microwave with the teabag already in it--using a little less water than usual--zap it until it boils, add my milk and sugar, and voilá!
There is protection from near everything, from fire and damages from storm and frost;
oh, add whichever blows may come to mind, but there is no protection from mankind.

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/10 20:29:06 )
    @icedchai: she's great isn't she?

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/10 22:53:59 )

@Mellonin: just going to say I worked in a tea shop and I’ve lived in the UK (and I’m on vacation in the UK right now)
And I will tell you that Brits on average do not make tea correctly.

However you can make tea however you like. If it’s the way you like it, then that’s the right way for you.

If you are trying to make tea to achieve the best possible taste you will want something that boils an exact temp and you will set a timer to have to brew for a length of time.
Example:
Black Tea 95C/200F for 4-5 mins (don’t squeeze any bag at the end cause it can release tannins)
Oolong Tea 90C/185F 4 mins
Green Tea (depends on the type of green)
Chinese Green 80C/175F 3-4 mins
Japanese Green 65C/150F 1-2 mins
White tea 65-70C/150F-160F 1-2 mins

Herbal Tea 95C-200F (temp doesn’t really matter) for 5mins.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/10 23:00:55 )

Oh by the way those things that Brits use to get hot water is just an electric kettle. Same as your stove kettle but electric lol
It saves on time and electricity power

Donator — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/10 23:06:21 )

Totalanimefan:

@Mellonin: just going to say I worked in a tea shop and I’ve lived in the UK (and I’m on vacation in the UK right now)
And I will tell you that Brits on average do not make tea correctly.

However you can make tea however you like. If it’s the way you like it, then that’s the right way for you.

If you are trying to make tea to achieve the best possible taste you will want something that boils an exact temp and you will set a timer to have to brew for a length of time.
Example:
Black Tea 95C/200F for 4-5 mins (don’t squeeze any bag at the end cause it can release tannins)
Oolong Tea 90C/185F 4 mins
Green Tea (depends on the type of green)
Chinese Green 80C/175F 3-4 mins
Japanese Green 65C/150F 1-2 mins
White tea 65-70C/150F-160F 1-2 mins

Herbal Tea 95C-200F (temp doesn’t really matter) for 5mins.

Wow, this was very informative :velvethappy:

Donator — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/10 23:08:17 )

I’ve never used a tea kettle before. I’ve only ever used a microwave to make my teas. I’m interested in trying a kettle someday, though, just to see what it’s like.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/10 23:19:15 )

@Ark: it’s no problem at all. I learned a ton from my time working at a tea shop. :)
There are some good prices for them at Target.

Donator — PomePome Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/11 19:27:02 )
I dont drink tea

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/11 20:53:33 )

@Totalanimefan: You mentioned not to squeeze the tea bag for black tea - is that something people do with other types of tea? I know my father mentioned it, but I figured he was just wierd, haha!

@Miss Sandman: I didn't when I was younger, but I'm finding a nice herbal tea helps me to settle down before bed. Trying to replace my nightly ice cream with tea, since I'm diabetic and it's much more healthy for!

Donator — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/12 02:52:04 )

@kory:
@totalanimefan:

Hmmm, now I'm really curious about trying one. :O Being a barista for so many years, I've always wanted to make a little "coffee shop" set up in my kitchen with an espresso machine, grinder, syrups, etc. I could get a cute little tea kettle and incorporate a variety of teas, as well. Aww, that'd be fun ^^

❀❀❀❀

Check out my shop! Currently selling Winter '21 Plasma Orb Items and more.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/12 10:47:38 )

@Mellonin: it’s recommended you do not do that for all teas I just didn’t want to type it 6 times over lol. Thanks for the question.
@Ark: that sounds so cute. An electric kettle is also good for anything you would want to heat up water for quickly.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/12 14:21:23 )

@Ark: That sounds adorable! We have something like a kettle; it's not electric, though. You have to put it on the stove. I never thought of putting the tea bags INSIDE of it, though.

Mellonin's Ramblings

Donator — Any Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/12 21:34:45 )

:::ʚ♡ɞ:::
i am crying internally lmao but its honestly fair, in america i dont see kettles in major stores like walmart too often and if i do theyre well hidden.
Good luck, seems everyone was able to give ya some good advice!! xD My fav tea would probably be dragons blood, id reccommend it

:::ʚ♡ɞ:::

Please ping me!

Donator — PomePome Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/12 22:16:22 )
@Mellonin: well i dont understand this calming effects of tea. My body just dont react to it.
~Pls Ping me~
Nothing fancy to see here!!!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.