Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk How many people have you lost to conspiracies?

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/17 22:06:56 )
By "lost" I don't mean that they've departed this world. I mean like socially. I've lost 1 friend and 3 relatives to government/vaccine conspiracies theories.

My mother is one of them. She's so far down the rabbit hole I don't think she's ever coming out. It's weird; this is the same woman who would do anything to get her kids vaccinated and now she's claiming that we need to detox and cleanse our bodies of the "pharmaceutical poisons". I've been fully vaccinated for covid since June. It was pure chaos when my mother found out. She said I turned myself into a bio-weapon. She's fine with my choice now because she claims I didn't get the real vaccine. The booster is apparently the real one. It's all part of a "bait and switch" plan big pharma has. I don't know what she's means by that though.

Anyway have you lost any friends or relatives to these conspiracies?

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/18 02:07:57 )

I’m so sorry. Luckily most of my family hasn’t fallen to the trap but my bestie’s Dad has and it’s sad. I was close to him and as a teen I was always over at their house.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — Any Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/18 04:48:43 )

:::ʚ♡ɞ:::
I sort of lost a friend, but other than that nobody else so far. My family has been vaccinated. Well, the ones I talk to anyway. Lost most of my family years ago when a bunch of personal stuff happened, but its for the better lol.

Friend is convinced vaccines are bad and don't help. She's "talked to so many people who havent had any vaccines and they're fine".. I have yet to see or know any of these said people. She also doesn't realize we all had vaccines to be able to go to school. Very frustrating. She's a hippie who's all about love and peace yet refuses to wear masks + get the vaccine. If you love people and want harmony so badly, why are you ok with everybody dying? smh. Someone asked her how she would feel if her daughter (whos like not even a year yet) got covid and died, and she was just like oh well, that's the natural life cycle. That was the last straw for me. People dying of the damned plague isn't a "natural cycle of death" if we can prevent it with a simple shot and piece of cloth over your damn face. It's like she doesn't even realize why she's arguing against the points people bring up. I hate it here. Im convinced alot of people would think differently if they got out of this hick town. I understand its hard to realize if your family/friends are in the wrong when everyone around here thinks the same uneducated bs, but you gotta eventually break that cycle of stupidity... :/

:::ʚ♡ɞ:::

Please ping me!

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/18 05:21:35 )
(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)ノ Hello there

Honestly no, even my great grandmother is getting the extra shot now.
I live with my granparents and they are constantly complaining that ppl cant just get the vaccine

However just yesterday my brothers dad (we have difrent fathers) Was here to pick him up and drank some coffee.
And then he started about that stuff? That he finds it wierd and thinks the virus is a secret weapen and that he thinks it stupid to get the extra shot. So ofc my gran told him off lol

So ive not have people leave bc of conspiracy theorys but i have people leave for just having difrent perspective on things. Im not talking about minor things like "is it rly blue or purple".
No, i had a friend who was friends with a very shallow person who kept bullying me, so i told them if they still wanted to be friends with me they wouldnt be friends with the bully anymore. Turns out a 10year friendship meant nothing to them lol

And another case was my ex wich later on i realize was just a very toxic person. They basicly only wanted to talk about their isues and intrests. If i brought up an intrest of mine they would ignore it. They where sickly jelous i hung out with my best friend (back then we where already broken up) and hated to i got proffesional help for mental health but not being able to talk about my feelings. Claiming they deserved it more.

。.:☆*:・ヽ(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)

♦ Gob | 23 | Taurus | Belgium ♦
Insta | Toyhouse | Gallery | Carrd

♦ My Art Shop ♦

Donator — she/they Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/18 15:38:46 )
I've lost countless friends due to ignorance. Conspiracy theories, bigotry, you name it. When I say "lost" I mean yeeted from my life. I used to look past a lot of it, but when I saw how truly bad it was I had to just end my relationship with them. I was just shocked. I don't know how I talked myself into thinking these were good people. My best friend since highschool is even lost to me now. She posted some nutso anti-vax stuff, and I encouraged her to research legitimate sources, and even provided her with some. She responded by yelling at me about killing children. I told her abortion rights and vaccinations are not even the same argument, and she started ignoring the conversation entirely. That was it for me. If you can't even have a conversation, or be open to read something longer than a meme, theres probably no hope. I also feel like a friendship of like 20 years earns a bit more respect, but what do I know. Her husband is a huge bigot so I'm not even sweating the loss very much...
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/18 19:53:22 )

@GoblinsAndTea:
Good for granny! My mom thinks the same thing as your brother's dad. That it's a secret weapon created by the elite. Unfortunately trying to prove her wrong is a worthless endeavor. I'd have better luck teaching a brick wall to jump.

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/21 19:47:38 )

I don't know how far along my dad was already, but over the past couple of years he definitely got worse with the whole right-wing, bigotry/covid-is-a-joke/the-left-has-an-agenda... thing. I don't know if he bought into any of the wackier conspiracy theories, but watching him spiral deeper into the "trump 2020" crowd was enough. I used to think--no, I know--he was the less conservative of my parents, the less likely to care about stuff like that, and the more likely to accept his kids for who they were. I think drinking and loneliness really got to him over time.

Then there's my grandma's best friend, who was always like family to me (more so than my actual family, anyway). I haven't cut contact with her, but I unfriended her on Facebook after seeing all the questionable stuff she kept sharing on there, including some outlandish conspiracies about the vaccine and bill gates... Our relationship has been reduced to "pleasantly superficial" for a long time now, but seeing that stuff has made me even less willing to open up to her any more.

ALWAYS PING ME

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/22 11:41:09 )
@Count Trashula:
My mom's pretty much the same. After 2020 she just started spiraling down into the far right nonsense. She's almost a completely different person than she was 4 years ago.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.