Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Community Garden Event Bugs in the Garden!

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/4 23:14:30 )
Hello,
What good, or bad bugs have you found well gardening. Weather you've planted fruits, vegetables, plants, or flowers?

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/4 23:15:28 )
I might give things away in this box, At random like A Random Act Of Kindness, If you happen to see any of my favorite types of bugs well gardening!

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/4 23:17:20 )
I know that there is a lot of different types of bugs in the garden, All around the world, Some of which I have never seen, Or I might have thanks to internet friends.

Please be sure to ping me, I might be doing a Puzzle, This is now open, Come chat if you dare!

Artist Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/4 23:24:12 )

@The Bride: I don’t like to garden because of the bugs lol bugs and bad weather are my two biggest phobias so I try to avoid being outside as much as I can xD

Love your avi btw

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/4 23:33:59 )
@Ruby: I can understand that, Thank you I really like your avatar. There are certain bugs, That I don't care for out in the garden. I was weeding out areas in a garden this year thought that I forgot a root from a weed, turned out it was The woodlouse spider (Dysdera crocata) and it bit me. They have pinchers see all I saw was the color of there legs, and there legs looked like the roots to the weeds I was pulling out. I wasn't to happy!

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 04:13:32 )
Bugs in the garden creep me out. I do like when I see praying mantises though. The last time I was out picking weeds I saw 3 on a single plant. I’ve also seen orchid mantises too.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 04:56:04 )
@Megaame: my other half found a baby praying mantis, I had to put it somewhere else to live.

Orchid mantis are very pretty photo wise.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 06:54:40 )
@KDA Drew: could it had been any of these : Phasmatodea, Leucoma salicis, Common whitetail, whooly aphids? Some bugs are awesome

Donator — PomePome Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 07:07:11 )
I found some catterpillars in my brokkoli........ Bad Bad catterpillars!!!!

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 07:46:24 )
@Miss Sandman: what color were these bad bad catterpillars? Do you mean broccoli? Because I don't know what brokkoli is?

Donator — PomePome Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 12:56:22 )
@The Bride: Yeah i mean broccoli in german it calls Brokkoli and i didnt know the english grammar for it so i though you would know:D those catterpillars are green yellowish those are from a butterfly, in German we Call it "kohlweissling"

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 20:07:14 )
@Miss Sandman: so for the word kohlweissling here we call it the Large White, but it says this about them that I've read anyhow :

Pieris brassicae, the large white, also called cabbage butterfly, cabbage white, cabbage moth, or in India the large cabbage white, is a butterfly in the family Pieridae. It is a close relative of the small white, Pieris rapae. The large white is common throughout Europe, North Africa and Asia.

I've only saw them fly around in my area, thankfully I don't have any cabbage growing anywhere.

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 20:20:55 )
@The Bride: I don't garden since I've never been a green thumb, and I burn easily. I know sunscreen is a thing, but I always feel so gross after using it.

My favorite bug is the dragonfly (I don't have a particular species that's a favorite) but mantises and their cousins come as a close second. One time as a kid, I saw a horn worm chilling on my grandparents' tomato plant. Grandfather took a spade to it and turned it into mulch. D: It was disturbing to me at that age lol.

I used to see these bright orange caterpillars with thick black hairs climbing their fence certain times of the year. No idea what kind they were or what their parents looked like. I never touched them because their colours looked like a warning, obviously.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 21:33:44 )
@Aisukohi: I am so sorry to hear that your grandfather did that infront of you, at such a young age.

Dragonflies are awesome along with the big dragonflies that hover and move nicely around.

Mantis are pretty neat looking bugs to.

Could the Catterpillers have been one of the following : Garden Tiger Moth Caterpillar (Arctia Caja), Woolly Bear Caterpillar (Pyrrharctia Isabella), Fox Moth Caterpillar (Macrothylacia Rubi)?

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 21:39:36 )
@The Bride: I'm okay about it now lol. But thanks for the condolences.

I rescued a big dragonfly at work the other day. Poor thing had been stuck inside for about 24 hours, so it finally came down (we have vaulted ceilings) where I could catch it with some paper cups. Hoping it was okay, though it was covered in lint, which I found out after I released it. D;

And after looking it up, it was the Oleander Caterpillar.
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

Donator — PomePome Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 23:05:01 )
@The Bride: they love cabbage broccoli 'Blumenkohl'...... I just destroy them eggs today. I Love butterflys/moths but if they disturb our harvest i have no mercy!

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/6 07:01:02 )
@Aisukohi: you're welcome, Awe the poor big dragonfly, A polka-dot wasp moth, the adult stage of the oleander caterpillar, Is very pretty.

@Miss Sandman: I can understand that, How big are there eggs, and do they lay there eggs on the broccoli?

Donator — PomePome Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/6 07:08:51 )
@The Bride: the eggs are pretty small but they lay plenty on the leaf, it lookes like an small yellow carpet

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/6 07:53:25 )
@Miss Sandman: That doesn't sound good in color for on how there eggs look. But very good to know.

Donator — PomePome Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/6 10:00:19 )
@The Bride: Yeah its really dagerous for kale and other plants. My Child is awake :D
~Pls Ping me~
Nothing fancy to see here!!!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.