Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Happy Juneteenth Y'all!

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/19 15:27:04 )

Today's June 19th. It's Juneteenth! For those not in the US, it's how officially a holiday here! (You can read more about it here Juneteenth Wiki page

I'm not sure what I am going to do for today. There are lots of celebrations being held in DC. I think I'm going to support Black Businesses today. (And not only today, just making sure I do today).

Is anyone having a party today? Did you have yesterday off in observance? (My husband did)

Donator — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/19 16:22:49 )

As a black person I have mixed feelings about this. Growing up I was never taught about Juneteenth in school, and I actually just learned about it last year on Twitter. I guess while I'm glad that it's being recognized, I personally don't know how I feel now that it's become a national holiday, especially when there are still struggles black people face in this country that continuously gets swept under a rug. This country is so shady that I find it hard to not see this as pandering to cover up the fact that America is racist.

I don't think I'll be celebrating this time. Maybe next year.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/19 16:38:57 )

@Ark: Thanks for your input! I grew up in the south and I never learned about this either. I only learned about it a few years ago when I saw in a calendar it said Juneteenth and I was like what is that? And then I looked it up and I learned about it. This was maybe 2015, or 2016? And I felt like every year people learned more and more about it and I think in 2020/2021 a lot of people learned about it as they were learning more about what it's like to be a person of color in the US.
On one hand, I'm glad that it's a holiday because it should have always been one, but on the other hand, there are still lots of people working retail that are going to have to work today, and who does that effect the most? Black people. It's not right that others will have off and others will work the holiday. And then there is the angle that because Congress did this that they will feel they solved the problem, when really they didn't. This is the first step. Not the end goal.

Donator — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/19 19:18:33 )

Yeah, you're right. I just hope with this step there will be more positive steps moving forward.

I have a lot to learn about this holiday lol. ^^;

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 00:03:08 )

@koneko: I heard you and in a way I feel the same. It’s really pissing me off that they haven’t passed that vote rights act bill.

@Ark: I hope it’s the first step too. This being a holiday it’s good enough on its own.

@Ava: that must be really hard. I feel like if my parents had super different feelings about a subject it would be hard. I’m excited for today to be a holiday but it’s just a first step (I hope). Lots needs to change in this country.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 00:05:03 )

Oh and I haven’t stated it yet, I am white. Grew up in a poor county in Florida that was about half white and half black. Then, when I was older moved to a different county with a school system that was mostly white. It was a shock. But anyway, in short, I’m an ally. :)

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 01:45:45 )

I think making it a holiday is... well, a step, at least, in the right direction? I get how people might see it as a bandaid or even a smokescreen, but I tend to think the Biden administration is trying to do the right thing, at least.

@koneko: I grew up really sheltered, too--there was, I believe, one black family in the entire town I lived in in my adolescence. And the town was fairly racist. I don't recall much if any real learning on black history until I had steady internet and could learn through it. So I definitely understand that. I'm still trying to learn, too.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 01:47:57 )

@koneko: Yeah I didn't know about my parents biases until I said that I liked-liked guys who happened to be black. (Not just into black guys, race doesn't really matter to me when it comes to partners) then yikes. My parents are better now but yeah. I think they are still learning too.

Yeah I get what you mean. It's a topic that lots of people are still learning about and it's sometimes tough to talk about.

@CooperationIsKey: Yeah I totally get it. And while I think that Biden probably had a lot of bias growing up, I think that he has learned a lot about people of color and does want fairness. I want to see more things in the future like passing the voting rights act bill.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 03:05:43 )

@Ava: that sounds really tough. My parents are alike at all but they both didn’t really care that much about politics when I was growing up.
I hope more comes from this too. :)

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 04:15:12 )

@Ava: Oh god, my dad is much the same about politics; if you don't believe what he does you're an idiot or, as I caught him calling my stepmom (who's Latina; dad's white) once, "crazy." He also really doesn't understand the whole BLM movement and it's been hard to try to explain to him; he seems to think it's just an excuse to riot/vandalize/loot. -_-; I love my dad dearly and we're fine as long as we avoid politics, but he's such a boomer.

Please ping me!

Donator — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 04:35:47 )

@Ava: My dad is mixed (black/ white) and my mom is black. My dad seems to teeter-totter between being woke on black issues while also having some ignorance. (Around the time of the Treyvon Martin killing my dad sided with Zimmerman, so since then I've been hesitant on talking to him about black issues lol) He's a smart man, but sometimes I feel him being mixed makes it hard for him to 100% choose a side, which I guess is understandable. My mom seems to understand black issues on the surface-level, but she doesn't speak up about them like my dad does when he's in woke-mode lol.

I also would love it if we got our reparations. That would be so helpful and so much of a blessing. :velvethappy:

❀❀❀❀

Check out my shop! Currently selling Winter '21 Plasma Orb Items and more.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.