Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Officially One Year of Shelter in Place/Lockdown

Voltie — they/any Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/10 02:30:57 )
@totalanimefan: oh, man. that must've been awkward to explain to others when you got the cold, especially since both have similar symptoms. i'm glad it wasn't actually covid, since that would be scary!

that reminds me, a close friend of mine had caught the disease a few months ago. i was scared since he had asthma and his symptoms seemed bad, but thankfully he's doing fine now. i was on the verge of tears when he told me over discord, since i would never had known he'd gotten sick had he not told me, and the little voices at the back of my head kept chanting that he might pass away if it gets too severe.

whoops sorry, that got dark quick! ;~; let's get back with the program...

as for my mom, she's such a hard-working person! i don't think there has ever been an instance where she wasn't working to the best of her ability, and it's truly awe inspiring. ever since the pandemic started and the DOL here started working on working and distributing stimulus checks for everyone, she's been super busy with her work as she works under DOL. i kinda feel guilty since i'm nowhere near her ability to get work done, and just knowing she's my mom is intimidating.

for my classes... i kinda have no other choice but to work hard if i want to graduate! my school's motto is "failure is not an option", and as an 8th grader, it really isn't if i don't want to be retained. i've been trying to get most of my missing work done, and i think it's for my best interest that i get into contact with my teachers for help.

however, i am trying to learn coding, which is something i can learn on my own time! i figured that i can just pick up CSS and whatnot when i actually have the time, and i can do it all at my own pace. i'm planning to get back into it once i roll into spring break or perhaps even summer break, and i'm hoping that it goes well in the end.

Donator — She, Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/10 08:03:48 )

@Totalanimefan: Yeah I'm pretty much fine with going out now, I just try to keep my distance as much as I can. Of course people in fl do love to be rebels and over crowd you in Wal-Mart etc. Lmao!

Thank you, some days are better than others. Even though I love the two pups we have now, I still some days wish it was her running around or bothering us for cookies and potty breaks etc. She was my girl, if it wasn't my mom it was me that she was always around. It's kinda funny, but I have one of her dresses on a stuffed animal ^.^

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/10 08:08:43 )

The lockdown ended up being a very good thing for me in the end. It started out terrible and it's a long saga, but I'm glad for it now.
t was hard at first because I didn't have my own room and everyone in my family expected me to be the only one to compromise on my living space. Now that we weren't leaving the house for school or work we realised that we actually didn't all fit. My abusive brother would game noisily on his huge flashy monitor even when I had exams and for months he locked me out of my own room so that I would wander around the apartment looking for a place to do my college work and all the other stuff I had to do. It was unbearable not having any space of my own. Every time I needed something from my room I had to wait until my brother deigned to unlock it for a few minutes. There were a lot of double standards from the rest of the family who said that my brother had a right to essentially displace me from the room we were supposed to share, but I had no right to my own space.
My grandfather died and then my brother moved to my grandmother's room now she doesn't share with my grandfather. He prefers it because when he was in my room he had to allow me into the room to take my online classes, and he couldn't game during my online classes, but in my grandmother's room he can game all day. He locks her out of the room now and as usual the family excuses it. Well it's not my problem anymore.
This was super stressful and it took a family member dying to resolve the spacing issues, but once my brother wasn't in my room anymore, the privacy and quiet really helped me. Lockdown gave me time to actually relax and heal instead of being productive all the time. I don't think I would have got the time to heal otherwise. Since I finally had the space to, I began doing yoga at home as well as other energy work. I could dedicate myself more to witchcraft and tarot, where before I always had to struggle to find time for hobbies and interests and even the things that I knew would be good for my physical and mental well-being, I couldn't find the time for. I could concentrate better on all the things I so badly wanted to do but couldn't. And because of that I'm in a much better condition than I was before lockdown. I feel more creative and am able to write more. I also have more energy for college. I'm so glad I got the time for self-care and for the things I wanted to do but didn't have the chance to before.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/11 00:07:20 )

@scarabee: It all worked out in end. So that's good.
Wow your mom is great. ^^ You are in 8th grade? That's tough and even harder than college. Sorry for assuming. ^^; Keep on with coding!
@Nephila: Glad you are doing better.
@Ava: I was the same way at first. ^^;
@NixieFae: I would not like that at all ^^; What about in store pick up for Wal-Mart instead of going in?
@Whimsy: It sounds like you have had a lot of ups and downs.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/11 04:24:35 )

As far as milestones, I am almost done with my master's. I have the two classes for the next 7 or so weeks and then i complete my program. This past year has brought my family a lot of heart ache. We've lost 3 families members, one due to complications due to COVID. One my aunts had open heart surgery and got a pacemaker. My roommate lost her grandfather. It's just been ROUGH. But through it all, I've persevered.

As far as milestones, I am almost done with my master's. I have two classes left and will be graduating (hopefully in May - i'm not walking due to COVID). My aunt is doing well with the pacemaker and her surgery was successful. They are monitoring her. My cousin's fiance just had a healthy baby boy - I actually had no idea she existed. We had a small christmas, but she was pregnant so i didn't get to meet her. Also they started dating before the pandemic and i just hadn't gotten to meet her since i live hours away and then boom i'm stuck hours away for six months. So, it's kind of not surprising i didn't know her. but their baby boy is so cute~

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/11 06:25:41 )

@Totalanimefan: Ups and downs for sure. Having my own privacy and space made a huge difference to me. I never had a room of my own until now and I'd have never got this room for myself if not for lockdown- and in a twisted way, if not for my grandfather passing away- so it's a bittersweet thing, no gains without losses I suppose.

roleplay search | tarot readings | buying ohms (pm me) | questing: styr

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/11 17:32:00 )

@Bonnie: I'm happy for you that you are so close to finishing! That must feel really good!
I'm sorry that you have lost so many this year. That's hard. Someone else I know in real life is from the midwest, but doesn't live there anymore and she lost a lot of people because it hit there hard too.
Congrats on the new birth in the family!

@Ava: I guess in a way that's good. Better than commuting in LA traffic. I hope you are able to get out there and find something once COVID is looking better there.

@Whimsy: Yes I guess it all evens out in the end.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/12 02:55:31 )

@Totalanimefan: yes, i am excited to be done as well. i'm waiting on all the information i need to know for the other class i've already gotten the things i need for one. it has been a hard year but i'm still here and still kicking!

bloop

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/12 17:39:09 )

@Bonnie: And May is so soon too! Do you think you will be vaccinated by then?

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.