Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk This is a problem

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/25 23:11:04 )
Ever since Irma, I've been off one of my most important medications for my bi-polar disorder. Why? Because apparently I can't refill my medication until mid-October. For a lot of complicated shit doing with a program I'm on to afford said medication. So I've had to go off this drug cold turkey, and it's starting to become a massive problem with my moods. At first it was just weepy spells, moments where anything and everything made me want to break down and sob uncontrollably. Which okay that was annoying and not too bad. It was easy enough to just remind myself that I'm not actually upset. Now it's starting to become a problem. Now I'm starting to blow up at everyone around me for barely noticeable shit. Just angry and weepy and uncontrollable. It's getting to the point that I've been considering putting myself in a local psychiatric hospital for people without insurance. That's not only an expensive option, but there's nothing like spending days locked up with only crazy people around you. With absolutely nothing to do. Like, it's sterile rooms with bars on the windows, two uncomfortable couches, and just incredibly depressing atmosphere. So this is a nothing else option. I just. I do not have the coping skills for this shit.

Donator — A.I. Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/25 23:42:13 )
That is definitely a problem. I wonder if pharmacies are ever capable of keeping emergency reserves? If they did I'm sure it'd be tedious and / or expensive as they'd have to maintain and rotate all the medicine to make sure it doesn't expire. And even then there would be questions of limited space, which medications to keep reserves of, and how much etc etc. Sorry, storybuilder in me just got some lore ideas. xD

In all seriousness, though, I'm sorry you have to go without your medications. Quitting that stuff cold turkey definitely wreaks havoc on your nervous system.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/25 23:53:05 )
@Vii: It can be pretty dangerous to suddenly go off meds like what I take. I do have my three other medications (all for the same purpose). But I definitely feel a big difference without the other one.

Donator — A.I. Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/26 00:02:39 )
@Another Movie Addict: That's particularly what I was thinking. Emergencies like that are often overlooked in the wake of natural disasters; everyone thinks of the immediate devastation, like homes and cars and families broken up, but other, smaller consequences ripple out as well. Thankfully October is almost here, so you won't have to hold out for too long. Hopefully the price won't go up due to the sharp bubble of demand that is sure to ensue.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/26 00:12:14 )
@Vii: I technically get it for 'free' through a program created by a sliding scale clinic I go to for my mental illness. Which is why I was told I couldn't refill the pills yet. I was told that they gave my a 90 day supply that should get me through until October. But they gave me a 60 supply. The clinic was one of the business closed/evacuated during Irma. So I couldn't them that I was out of medication, and the woman I normally work with who would know what to do is gone until the end of October. My next appointment isn't until the 16th though. So I have to make it that far.

Donator — A.I. Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/26 01:14:24 )
@Another Movie Addict: Well, it's good you're able to get your medications most of the time. I have a friend who also goes to a clinic with a sliding-scale system which has literally saved her life; without her medications she'd have died from the withdrawals (opioid, iirc).

Gosh, it sucks that you weren't able to contact them in time. :C Best of luck to you in making it through the next few weeks. Hopefully your side effects taper after two, but, those kinds of things often take longer to cycle in and out of your system, from what I understand, so... I don't really know. oTL
[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Donator — - Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/4 18:19:42 )
@Another Movie Addict: Your doctor may have "sample kits" of your meds. I had a time where I could not afford meds and my doctor saved my butt by giving me sample kits that the pharmaceutical companies provide them.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/4 18:22:07 )
@Shamrock Shamus: Normally that's exactly what they'd do, that's what they're supposed to do. But there was a new lady who doesn't know that, and said I couldn't even have samples because I couldn't get the normal amount of meds. She didn't even bother to check with the RN about it. Just 'I'm sorry I don't know what to do'.

Donator — - Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/4 18:48:05 )
@Another Movie Addict: Well, complain. Call or meet in person with the clinic director or her higher ups. There's no reason you should not have those meds.
Also, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar, so be pleasant and calm to the best of your ability. They may be more willing to hear you out and help you if you don't go storming in there, though I do know that sometimes that's also a good way to get your voice heard. I once had a doctor who canceled my appointment and randomly went on a 3 month vacation, leaving me without refills for my meds. They called him and he sent the pharmacy the wrong prescriptions. They were some pills I'd never taken or even heard of before. When I called the office back, they said they would call him to get him to correct it and never got back to me. I tried to get them to return my calls for a month. Nothing. I had several panic attacks at this point and was hallucinating badly. They wouldn't even return the ER's calls. My mom is a retired paramedic turned nurse. She tried to get me some help, still nothing. My mother ended up taking me to this office and storming in there and throwing a hissy fit, the cops were called and they came and listened to her and me and got me set up with a different place asap and got me my pills. I don't recommend this behavior though.
In any case, I think you should get in touch with her higher up. She's new, so I don't blame her for not knowing but she should have asked someone or referred you to another person who does know.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/4 19:09:34 )
@Shamrock Shamus: I called them again now that I'm without my other medication. This one only needed the receptionist to go tell the nurse 'hey the refills are expired, tell Winn-Dixie that Movie can have her meds', that is all she had to do. Instead she panicked kinda, and said she'd call me back when she figured out what she was supposed to do. That was Friday. Now I'm without two of my most important medications. They aren't just anti-depressants, they're also mild anti-psychotics. Without them I'm all hearing voices and my moods swing. I've been catching myself almost attacking things, because I can't control when I get upset about something. Sadly my social anxiety is so bad, I literally can't handle talking on the phone or to people for very long. It's been hard enough dealing with this new lady.

Donator — - Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/4 19:13:09 )
@Another Movie Addict: Hmm. I know your social anxiety is acting up but do you happen to live with someone else who has rights to know your medical history (if you've signed a release or listed them as an emergency contact) and can call on your behalf? If you don't, do you have a parent or grandparent who has said rights and can call? I don't know how your social anxiety goes but I'm sure talking to one of them and expressing your needs and what you want them to do for you would be easier than strangers at a doctors' office.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/4 19:15:44 )
@Shamrock Shamus: My mother is supposed to have access and the ability to talk to them. They lost the paper work. I can't drive so I can't get there to sign again until my next appointment. My driver (my mother) won't go anywhere on her days off unless she absolutely has to, and she can't take the time off work. So I'm stranded and going crazy.

Donator — - Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/4 19:19:27 )
@Another Movie Addict: Well, I feel like your mental health is a necessity and warrants going out on her day off. If you can't, I'm sort of out of suggestions to help you. : / I wish you luck though!

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/4 19:21:49 )
@Shamrock Shamus: Thank you for trying though.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.