Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Epilepsy vent/rant thing?

Voltie — They/Them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/17 04:07:42 )
There's something foul about the air here...

Last time I had a seizure was way back in December of last year. I thought I was doing well since I'd gone almost a whole year without having one.
Last night, however, I wasn't able to sleep, and hoped I'd be fine if I just powered through (my seizures are triggered by a lack of sleep). I was ready to start painting my mirrored expression contest entry I'd been putting off, but while I was prepping, I had a seizure.

Some info for people that don't know anything, seizures are not a simple thing one can just walk off, and they're not just triggered by flashing lights. I don't get triggered by flashing lights, and I have only found sleep to be a cause. For a few hours after the seizure I'll be extremely confused, can barely string together a coherent thought, my motor functions are completely shot and I need assistance with moving around and doing basic everyday tasks until I fully recover (which can take a long time depending on how back my body reacts), I'm super super super nauseous, and my body is super duper sore all over (which also contributes to the motor functions being shot).

Thankfully my family is very responsive and we all have a sort of protocol to help take care of me when something happens and everyone was home today so I'm safe now, but it's still a huge bummer since I wanted to use tonight to be productive.

There wasn't an entirely clear point of me making thing, my head's still super foggy but I neede somewhere to sorta not quite rant or vent or whatever, just kinda talk about it and here seemed like a reasonable section. If anyone has questions about epilepsy I'd be glad to answer them. Hopefully I'm feeling okay tomorrow to work on that painting and finish it before the deadline.

...ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/17 04:52:13 )

@grost: I hope that you feel better soon be you get some rest. Seizures are serious.

Donator — they/them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/17 05:44:10 )

═════════════════════════⠀ ∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘
⠀|⠀post art by kiwi!⠀|⠀spooky chat

thanks for sharing grost! i think it's a good reminder for the site to keep everything accessible too
i'm sorry to hear about the seizure, tho i'm glad it sounds like u have a pretty good support system at home!
i hope you're resting and recovering ok and can get plenty of sleep soon<3

no pressure to answer but is there anything users on the site can do to make voltra more epilepsy-friendly? (if anything, even just for you personally?)

Voltie — They/Them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/17 08:31:16 )

@Totalanimefan: according to my sister I slept for about 3 hours after my seizure, hopefully I'm able to get some actual sleep tonight and not repeat today's mistakes again, though might be a bit hard since I can't find my benadryl that helps me actually sleep at night

@xvz: I can't really think of anything that would make the site more "epilepsy-friendly" since there isn't really anything here that would be a problem for at least me. I should probably do some more research about my disorder, there's a chance in reality there would be something but I don't know about. My situation is also a little different from probably most epileptics, mine is caused by brain damage from problems during birth while there's probably a significant more amount of people that were completely born with it written into their genetic code. I really appreciate you caring so much though! Makes me happy whenever I come back and re-realize how awesome the community here is :)

...ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ

Voltie — he/they Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/17 14:17:54 )
⇜┈┈┈┈┈┈ ∘ ꕥ ∘ ┈┈┈┈┈┈⇝

seizures are so scary! my partner has them from stress and lack of sleep too, and they always get really confused and foggy after. i'm glad you have a good support system to help u - it sucks when a health crisis gets in the way of things you wanted to do though :/

⇜┈┈┈┈┈┈ ∘ ꕥ ∘ ┈┈┈┈┈┈⇝

pm me if u wanna donate 2 my living funds

┋ 𝐕𝐄𝐒𝐒 ┋ 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐢𝐱 ┋ 𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞 ┋
questinghangoutgallery

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/17 15:51:24 )

@grost: how are you feeling today?

Voltie — They/Them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/17 23:25:26 )

@Totalanimefan: Still a little light-headed and achey but not too bad, I think I'm good enough to stream some art on twitch today

...ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/17 23:35:27 )

@grost: Good to hear. I hope it doesn't happen again. :)

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — they/them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/17 23:36:45 )

═════════════════════════⠀ ∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘
⠀|⠀post art by kiwi!⠀|⠀spooky chat

@grost: no worries if you can't think of anything! everyone is different and i wouldn't expect any one person to be like a spokesperson for a whole array of experiences
and ofc :-)<3 i would love for voltra to be as inclusive of a community as we can be! and if anything comes to mind i hope you feel comfortable letting us know ^0^
i hope you're feeling better today and can get some good sleep tn!

⠀∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀art shop⠀·⠀gallery⠀·⠀closet⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀buying / questing: capricorn ⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

art by kiwi and koneko <3

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.