Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts ┤▒├ Wildfire's World ┤▒├ All welcome, all the time - come say Hi!

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 14:06:17 )

Lol well yeah, the point is to sell those things. Still sad when someone grabs them. And yeah that does save my poor wallet.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 14:07:38 )
gotta give the other collectors the chance to collect too, I suppose XD

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 14:10:54 )

Those I don't mind admitting defeat to. It's the ladies that bought old and rare Addams Family comics just to cut them up that I get very sad about.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 14:14:04 )
Yeah, that's understandable. I forget- did these ladies know that the books were collectibles?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 14:15:46 )

They knew. They didn't care.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 14:17:54 )
eh. That happens, I guess. It obviously upset you though - more than I had initially thought it had, anyway.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 14:23:51 )

Well yeah I wanted them. Most people don't know that the Addams Family started as one page comics in The New Yorker. It would be like holding history in my hands.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 14:25:42 )
Ahhh- that explains your frustration a little more. I'm sorry that you lost the opportunity to collect them yourself... and in such a way!

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 14:30:37 )

Yeah. It was a very depressing thing indeed.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 14:34:27 )
I bet it was. Well, maybe you'll get another opportunity to grab something like that

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 14:36:43 )

Probably.

At least they leave the very valuable books alone, since you can only get those if I hand them to you. We've currently got books worth 400ish, which is half of what it's really worth.

XD We also have a Benny Hill boxset for 100$.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 14:38:28 )
Interesting.
So do you have to go look up all the prices for all the books every time one comes in, or do you rely on your knowledge to 'flag' the more rare books for later look up and pricing?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 14:41:49 )

Oh. If a book looks crazy levels of old, it gets put to the side to be checked. Only managers can do that. They go on a website and research the worth of the older looking books. Same for autographed books, and other media. Like the Benny Hill was researched because of how many discs it has. Turns out that bitch is worth 500+. We basically half the worth. Though we came down more than half on the Benny Hill. Because really most people don't even know what that show was/is.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 14:44:28 )
Yes, I can imagine that knowledge or familiarity with Benny Hill is pretty lost on most of the younger generations, but for a true collector or student of "media", it would be a different story altogether!

I was just curious. I didn't really think you'd have to look up each and every book before it got shelved, but you never really know.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 14:49:18 )

The process is basically: Everything is in a giant box called a gaylord. Each item is scanned through a system to see if our Amazon store wants to sell it. What is rejected is tossed into another gaylord marked 'scanned'. Then someone starts to sort out everything into their price slots. That's when the old books get put to the side. Then everything is put in a cubby marked with the books' prices. After that they go on our carts. Each cart is one price tag (ideally anyway, sometimes splice carts happen).

Once they reach the cart. We check in the insides for autographs, markings that make the book unreadable, pulling out whatever is put in the pages. Like bookmarks, personal papers, ect. Then they get cleaned with some alcohol spray. Then they get priced and put on the shelves. All of this happens everyday.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 14:50:27 )
That's a lot of work, but it makes sense that it would be necessary.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 14:55:11 )

Our quotas are ridiculous though. You have to be able to scan a full gaylord one per hour. Which is you have scan more than 5-600 books and other items in roughly three hours. You have to sort one gaylord an hour. Then you have to put out one cart per hour. Carts can have any where from 40 to 200ish items on it. I have to put out those 200 items in an hour. Then do another cart with just as many. Also while ringing up customers, and keeping the floor and bathrooms clean.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 14:58:06 )
That sounds a little insane tbh. But you seem to enjoy the job, overall - don't you?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 15:02:10 )

It is very insane. And I do actually enjoy my job.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 15:04:53 )
That's good. It helps if you enjoy what you're doing. Although for you, I bet it's always a bit of a scavenger hunt (or something) - never knowing when you'll find that rare piece of something collectible!

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.