Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk The fire alarm went off in my apartment!

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/14 06:29:11 )

I’m safe and ok but just past midnight I was asleep and I woke up to the fire alarm going off. I jump out of bed. Put on pants, grab my phone and start thinking about only what I need to bring and then leave.
My husband gets the crate for the animals. The cat hid under the bed so I yanked him out and threw him in the crate he hates with the dog. (Who seemed happy). We got our masks on and left everything else.

I lead some people on my floor to the stairs closest to us instead of by the elevator. We had to go down 23 stories. I was terrified that we were going to be trapped because there would be a fire on the way down. We made it out the building and the fire crews were already there. After a little bit we could go back inside.

It’s been an hour and I haven’t been able to go back to sleep. I keep thinking that it’s going to happen again. :(
I’m glad it’s all ok though. I’m glad my family made it out ok.

Edit: I went off again. We both woke up and realized it was probably the same thing again. Although we were still worried. Waking up to that was not pleasant. We got the animals again and went down stairs. 4:30am local time. But now I feel so frightened of everything. I took an anti-anxiety pill and I hope to be asleep soon.

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/14 07:47:04 )
@totalanimefan: hey there :) I live in an apartment too.. and they're always testing the smoke alarms here so we all have to go outside into the car park .. I'm so glad there wasn't a fire and u and ur husband and furbabies are ok.. I'm a big worrier about fires I'm always double or triple checking plugs and switches before I go to bed.. n with having my daughter now it's worse lol

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/14 09:58:03 )

@LilMissKushy: yeah tests can be scary too. This one wasn’t a test. The sensor is bad so it went off twice now. It just went off again about 30 mins ago. And we left.
Fires are a serious deal. I hope you stay safe.

I think the most scary thing about it is that it’s not a test and that I live in a high rise building so I am on the 23rd floor. Feels more scary than if I was on like the 3rd floor. The building is new though. So it’s safe. It’s just a worry in my mind.

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/14 11:48:58 )
@totalanimefan: oh wow 23rd floor.. I'm glad the apartments here aren't that high I wouldn't be in one .. I'm scared of heights lol.. I can see why you were uneasy about the situation..
Hopefully when things settle you can get a proper rest and get some sleep

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/14 15:07:08 )

@LilMissKushy: thank you. It took me two hours before I was able to sleep. Now I still haven’t gotten much sleep but it was something. I don’t want to ruin my sleep schedule too much.
Also I do love everything else about my apartment. It’s just the fire alarm waking me up and blaring in my face that sucks.

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/14 17:27:51 )
@aww bless ya.. well hopefully you'll sleep better tonight.. so is the alarm going off a regular occurrence? That would stress me out

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/14 17:51:27 )

@LilMissKushy: no. Something was broken with it. It was still really scary.

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/14 18:03:40 )
@totalanimefan: are they coming out to fix it or have they already fixed it?

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/14 19:07:58 )

Omg :o that's terrible. But good that it wasn't a real fire. But I can see how annoying that would be. There was a problem with our fire alarm in the block of flats, it was going off for hours. No fire though. I hope they fix yours soon!

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/14 23:14:30 )

@sunny: I really hope they fix it soon. And it’s so loud. Like way louder than any other fire alarm I’ve ever heard.
@LilMissKushy: so the fire department and maintenance crew said it’s fine. There was no fire but they don’t know why it went off. It makes me nervous that it’s going to go off again.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/14 23:28:27 )

@Totalanimefan: I'm sure they will fix it soon :)

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/15 04:56:17 )

@sunny: thanks. Yeah but what if it goes off again :(

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/15 05:55:03 )
the kids here love to pull the alarms

fucking teach your kids not to do stupid shit

Ping me!

Hangout

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/15 15:48:02 )

@Totalanimefan: :( did it go off again?

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/15 23:31:41 )

@Shark: that happened to me in college. It didnt freak me out though. I think the alarm did here cause I had to get my animals and because the alarm was just way too loud. I couldn’t even hear myself think.
@sunny: no thank god. I got to sleep. They are going to fix an AC machine on my floor and the floor below me. I wonder if it’s related?

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/16 04:04:35 )

I’m better but I still feel afraid to go into my bedroom alone. I think a lot about how it could happen again. And although I’m trying very hard to get over it, it runs through my mind a lot. I guess it hasn’t really been that long since then. And I do feel like I made progress today.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.