Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Blackout Tuesday?

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/2 22:56:53 )
I feel like the idea behind this is good. So I looked into it. As it turns out, a lot of activist groups and influencers have spoken out about how this does more harm than good, that using #blackouttuesday actually clogs newsfeeds to the point where activists can't get their updates and content seen.

Activist groups rely on newsfeeds and social media to get their message out there. So if you truly wanted to do blackout tuesday properly, you wouldn't be posting at all. Cause right now, you're hiding their visibility.

Thoughts?

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/2 23:34:43 )
@Bioshock: I feel like doing this is almost like a thing to do to make yourself feel better, but it's actually not helping. The idea of a blackout is to not have something. Don't post anything. Don't buy anything, etc. This way you are actually listening, but people have just been will nilly doing this and even clogging the blm hastag.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/2 23:38:06 )
Isn't that called Slacktivism? Where you do something that takes minimal effort and has no effect except to say what you can say with words?

Talk is cheap slacktivism is weak why aren't you writing your representatives?

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/2 23:50:59 )

It’s too bad that it got clogged up because the idea was really good. It just failed cause people have to make it about themselves.

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/2 23:53:13 )
@Bioshock: I mainly share things to help protesters. How to protect yourself from tears gas/how to soothe the paint of tear gas and mace. How to put them out. Showing videos where the cops ended up walking *with* protesters, protesters giving cops bottles of water in peaceful protests.

There's sharing helpful, and hopeful information. Then sharing damaging, and then masking information (like blackout tuesday does). This is what you should do if for whatever reason you can't join protests/donate. Share info.

@Totalanimefan: Indeed. I haven't posted anything on social media all day.The idea is good, the black backgrounds was not. Saying either don't post or reshare protester info, that'd be better. Because it gives more visibility.

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/2 23:54:43 )

As soon as I heard this I knew it was a bad idea. I can't believe how gullible people are. Almost all of the people I follow posted it. Every-time I search for news on the protests all I see is black boxes.

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/2 23:57:08 )
@inatlaka: Exactly. It's counter productive! It's not helping, it's harming. Well-meaning or no. I have weeded it out of my algorithm because I only interact with videos and images from actual protests. But still, it's so annoying to occaisionally see just a black box where more updates could be.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 00:01:24 )

@Lucifera: Exactly. Posting a Black picture does nothing and makes it harder for people to find things with the #. Smh.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 00:06:31 )
"Thoughts and Prayers"
https://streamable.com/l8ysz

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 00:22:10 )

@lucifera: And all the ones who flooded it with black boxes were posting nothing about the protests previously. I feel this was a brainwashed programming stunt. I almost feel dizzy from scrolling past so many black boxes. I really am in disbelief how many people have fallen for that. Kinda sad. T_T

°<°art by Keturah🖤🦖🖤

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 00:46:30 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

I've seen people saying to use blackout tuesday tag and not black lives matter to not clog theblatter with black squares

Put ya guns awn!

quest♤Shop

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 01:52:18 )

One Youtuber (and I'm sure more) didn't post videos today because of this. I know Markiplier has done a video based on this, and gave links to places to donate for charity. Jacksepticeye is taking a break from his content because of all this. I don't know who all else is hopping on this blackout tuesday but I'm sure there's many other Youtubers that are doing similar things.

Voltie — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 04:12:58 )
I took it as not posting personal content to help boost black voices and content. But this definitely felt more viral than planned out
~Instagram! Twitter!~

A Big Ole Quest Thread

Ping me, I'm easily distracted

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 04:20:43 )

Most of the people I follow aren't just posting black boxes. They're retweeting charities, articles, promoting black artists and stores. Also retweeting the rules for the black out which include instructions on which tags to use for it and ask to not stop posting, but to post boosting awareness. I agree that there are people (and companies) out there only participating because it's trendy, but there are A LOT of people supporting the heck out of this and I really respect that.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/7 05:41:52 )
@Priestess of Pie: I also respect the idea of it. But I'm not talking about twitter, as I find that platform a void of shouting voices in most cases. I mean instagram. Where the feeds you're looking at are started out with an image. Imagine going to look in your discover feed for more news on what's going on and seeing nothing but black boxes. It obscures what should be being seen by those boxes.
Ping me for fast replies!
https://youtu.be/y4IF2WtkgtM

Voltie — they/he Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/7 21:10:35 )
i'm glad we're all of similar minds on this - imo it just really annoys me when i see people putting "blm" but conveniently leaving out the "acab". like, ofc esp these ppl who run companies twitters and etc, they want to act like they are there for black people but shut up as soon as they have to put their money where their mouth is. they dont wanna say anything real, they just wanna parrot the acronym of the day UNLESS it's not vague enough to appeal to (nearly) everyone.it's just, as others have said, v performative! i mean ik what else can you expect out of companies but still makes me mad that they have people falling for it

and honestly, aside from the cases in which you rly dont have the money (which is fair), i dont understand why more people arent donating to bail funds and etc. because so many people are doing bundles or art for people who donate, so it's not even like you won't get anything from it.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.