Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free
Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/5 01:14:38 )
Soooooooo.....
I'm seriously a lazy little potato and never do my makeup other than the occasional mascara.

That means that in my 28 years of living, I never learned really anything about makeup.

I've decided to try be less of a potato and more of a curly fry,
but I don't even know where to start.

Foundation scares me because there are SO MANY TYPES OUT THERE.
Do I choose liquid or powder or whatever else is out there?
What brand do I pick?
How do I make sure I'm not a ghost in pictures?
SO MANY QUESTIONS.

I'd watch tutorials, but I don't even know where to begin with that either.

What I want to know, you makeup wearing beauties, is what kind of foundation you swear by
What brand is your favorite and why?

***also, fun side note- I did try makeup a tiny bit in high school, but it kept breaking me out. It turns out, I'm allergic to sunscreen and most foundations have sunscreen in them now. I thought I was reacting to the makeup, but I think I was reacting to the sunscreen in it.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/5 02:24:34 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Mousy: I used to work at Sephora, and usually when I’d get clients like you who want to get more into make up, I’d baby step them in. First off, what kind of skin type do you have?
Normal, combination oily (oily some parts, normal other parts), combination dry (dry some parts, oily or normal others), oily, oily with acne, or dry? This will help figure out what routine would be best for you. Depending on your skin type and what coverage you want, you can have a 3+step routine, or one and done.
Next, what’s your skin tone? Are you cool, warm, or neutral toned? This will help with what kind of foundation colors you should test for in stores, and it will help you know what kinds of lipsticks to look for (we’ll get to that later.)
Skin Tone Chart

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/5 03:02:53 )
Speaking as someone who likes make-up...

If you can get to a Sephora or other such specialty make-up shops, you can also ask them for recommendations. If a store carries testers or sample-sizes, I'd recommend testing those out before you gamble on something that may or may not work for you.

I've had to do this with foundation since I tend to be so pale that even the typical lightest drug-store shades (typical for the US at least) with names like "porcelain" and "ivory" have looked too dark on me!

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/5 03:27:51 )
@tsundererra: yes, baby step me bby 🤣

I would say that my skin is normal and definitely at the top of that chart! Maybe 4Y01? I think I’m also on the warm side. I would definitely prefer something easy and not time consuming, so a one and done would be awesome haha

I actually went into a Sephora yesterday and the 2 girl working were at the counter chatting and I walked through the entire store without one word being said to me. So, I just left? *shrugs*

@phantasma: I’m gonna try to go to Ulta tomorrow! Hopefully someone there can give me the right shade. I walked down the makeup aisle at Walmart and just felt overwhelmed even there!

Y’all just go with me and hold my hand, okay? 🤣

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/5 03:28:23 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

Ooof, my heart always went out to the super pale people. The only options were Kat Von D, Fenty, or Illamasqua...
But more than getting a tester, buy the product. The minute they pump that make up out into a jar, it oxidizes and won’t set the same as when it’s freshly squeezed, its oxidization might affect the coloring too... plus if you don’t use that sample ASAP, it’s just a breeding ground for bacteria and that’s how people break out... Both Sephora and Ulta have decent refund policies where you can return even if you’ve open and used it. Just don’t be a jerk face and use more than 50% or return after 30-60 days like “oMg I cHaNgEd My MiNd”.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/5 03:45:09 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Mousy: Oh wow, it’s so rare to get a normal skin type. That’s really good. (I’m dry like a lizard ToT) You could actually do a one and done. What kind of coverage are you looking for? There’s full coverage, where you want the make up to cover EVERYTHING (gonna go off a limb and say this is def not what you’re looking for. xD). Medium coverage, which is pretty average, covers enough, but isn’t as thick as full. And light to buildable coverage, which is what people who don’t have a lot of skin concerns to cover up or want something super light.
If you want a one and done, I’d recommend getting into BB creams, CC creams, or Tinted Moisturizers (the Laura Mercier light might be your color, and comes in a small). They range from medium to buildable coverage, and are perfect for those who want the most minimum. You don’t even need to get a primer because it’s built in, or a make up brush since you can apply with your fingers.

Ughhhghhhhhghhh I really hate the lazy Sephora workers, especially because I got worked like a dog at my store. )’x I wish I could go with you to help. Hopefully your Ulta experience will be better.
I know it feels like a lot. I felt the same when I first started... but baby steps. xD And you don’t have to do anything you don’t feel comfortable with. Like I don’t contour or highlight on the daily because I ain’t got time for that extra shiet anymore. If lipsticks or gloss aren’t your thing, stick with tinted lip balms. :)

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/5 07:26:15 )
Tsundererra:
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

Ooof, my heart always went out to the super pale people. The only options were Kat Von D, Fenty, or Illamasqua...
But more than getting a tester, buy the product. The minute they pump that make up out into a jar, it oxidizes and won’t set the same as when it’s freshly squeezed, its oxidization might affect the coloring too... plus if you don’t use that sample ASAP, it’s just a breeding ground for bacteria and that’s how people break out... Both Sephora and Ulta have decent refund policies where you can return even if you’ve open and used it. Just don’t be a jerk face and use more than 50% or return after 30-60 days like “oMg I cHaNgEd My MiNd”.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Totally agree on makeup oxidizing! And yes, make-up can and does expire.
Of course things that have been exposed to the air and have been sitting around go bad. And keep in mind that other people may have used that same test sample, so wash it off as soon as possible.

That said...

Makeup on its own shouldn't cause you to breakout unless it's expired, contaminated, or you're simply sensitive the ingredients. If you take home some samples and try them within a few days of getting them, you should be fine. If not, it may have been bad makeup to begin with.

Yes, you could just buy the thing and return if it doesn't work for you, just make sure you follow the return policy.
This doesn't always work though for everyone, since people can miss return deadlines for a variety of reasons.

And remember to wash your make-up off before bed! Some make-up can clog your pores and your skin needs to take breaks.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/5 07:48:04 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@koneko: This is a really good idea! You’re not obligated to buy anything unless they tell you before that you have to make a purchase in place of the service. :D Do this Mousy!

@Phantasma: Those should be all the causes of make up leading to breakouts. Also, not washing make up brushes is another~ (Also, forgot to add that the sample containers are not airtight. They are also lying around open before anything gets pumped in... and I’ve seen kids get their hands on it in drawers and spread their nasties... so this might be another reason...)

Fun fact, Sephora used to accept returns with no deadline, and no receipt, but people kept abusing the system. Now it’s 60 days with receipt (or rewards account), or store credit after that (wish it was like that back in my day).

And I agree, wash off your make up properly before bed. Invest in a decent cleanser and exfoliate once or twice a week (physical exfoliation if you’re younger and your skin can handle the scrub, chemical for older or sensitive skin). And always, always, ALWAYS moisturize afterwards.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/5 13:22:57 )
koneko:

I went with my friend to Ulta when she brought her cousin to get a consultation (is that the right word? they showed her how to put on basic make up). I think doing something like that would be super helpful. It would give you a basic selection of make up to get started with.
I don't think it costs anything, they just count on you buying the products they recommend.

I agree with @Tsundererra. That is a really good idea.

And @Tsundererra. I get the sense that you might be a lot more concerned with germs and contamination than I am, and that's fair.
Using new, fresh products is always preferred, but in my roughly 20+ years of wearing make-up, no sample has ever caused me to break out or anything like that.

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/5 16:40:26 )

/paints a butterfly on @Mousy: ‘s face

Perfect

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/5 22:05:25 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Phantasma: I wasn’t particular about bacteria/germs until I got trained to be an esthetician and worked in make up. Like my face doesn’t break out from make up either (prolly because my skin is bone dry and bacteria needs oil to make that acne lol.) But everyone is different, and it’s always good to be careful especially if your face isn’t used to wearing anything.
Plus it’s easier to identify if the irritant was from a bad sample or caused by an ingredient factor (like silica or built in SPF).
Also, the foundation sample is the least contaminated thing you can try, so don’t be scared to get one if you don’t feel comfortable dropping the money. xD Pretty sure all the lipstick, lipgloss, mascara and liquid eyeliner testers are petri dishes for herpes and pink eye... yum. :’)

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/6 01:36:13 )
@Tsundererra: True and good point, and I agree. I would never test out mascara or anything that goes on your lips that other people have probably used. I mean, would you also take a bite of a stranger's food not knowing if they've been sick or not? Would you try on a strangers eye contacts?
I wouldn't.

I wasn't trying to say that people shouldn't care or shouldn't play it safe or anything like that. I just know that sometimes people become too paranoid about germs in general where it crosses over into phobia territory.

@mousy:
I find that reading product reviews is often a good idea.
As far as make-up tutorials go, it might be a good idea to try to find someone who looks like you (similar skin tone/type, eye color, etc...) The tips and tricks they use might help you better figure-out what might work for you.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/6 02:19:17 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Phantasma: Yeeep, those are all good, comparable examples~ And I agree with being careful, but not too careful that it falls into germaphobe territory and hinders you from the full make up experience. xD

I hope Mousy got to go to Ulta like she wanted. So eager for an update...

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/6 02:51:50 )
I hope we get an update soon, too!

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/6 18:35:24 )
@tsundererra: Hey
@phantasma: You
@Koneko: Guys! :vivi-celebrate:

So, I made it to Ulta today! I walked around the whole store to give myself an idea of EVERYTHING they had and to work up the courage to ask one of the gorgeous ladies to pls halp. XD I found one that was shorter than I was so they weren't too intimidating with the long legs and beautiful face. Haha

She helped me figure out what color I am (Golden Beige 13 btw xD) and led me in the hopefully right direction to get started. I went with bareminerals because I had some family that had used it and liked it and it seemed like you use very little to get the look you want. I felt like the liquid stuff was just too heavy for me.

They let me know that they have a 60 day policy, so that made me feel a bit better about spending a chunk of change on a few items.

Thank you all 3 for your awesome advice! I'm about to go watch some videos to make sure I do it right. I'll post a picture if I feel like I did an acceptable job. xD

@tuijp: It's perfect! Thank you! Just the look I was going for!

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/6 19:22:05 )

@Mousy: hold on!
/throws glitter at
Now it’s even better

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/6 21:05:35 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Mousy: Omg, you’re so precious and sound like a good time to go shopping with~!
Bare minerals was my starter foundation too when I was in my teens! It’s a good brand for starting out and for minimalists. I’m glad you had a wonderful time shopping for your make up. Make sure to check how it looks in the sun and if it’s still on your face a while later. If you do want to switch to something else, you at least have a starting place to work with. :’D

You mentioned maybe looking into lipsticks/lip colors too, and that part is muuuuuch more fun and you can do it solo. Just pick up a color and swatch it on your arm. If it looks good, ALCOHOL AND SHAVE THAT TESTER, then pop it on.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/7 02:43:08 )
Glad to hear that things went well!

I hope your next trip goes well too!

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/10 16:00:44 )
@tsundererra: Hi
@phantasma: Hi

I was being a bum and never posted my pictures, but I think I like the makeup!
I took pictures in all of the lighting I'm normally in(sunlight, fluorescent, terrible bathroom lighting, and car) and it looked good in all of it! I won't post all of the pictures though. I'll post one or 2. XD

Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/10 20:10:06 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Mousy: Oh my, you’re naturally pretty! No wonder you didn’t get sucked into the make up world. xD
I’m glad it’s working out for you, and it looks nice and blended. ^^ Thanks for the lovely photo updates!

( ) DERE DERE DERE

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.