Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Browsing Zillow

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/4 16:20:29 )
Just pretending I can afford a 20% down payment on a $400k home.

Ugh.

Anyone else fantasize about owning a home? What would be your ideal dwelling?

Honestly I'm aiming for a 150-200k townhome or condo. I'm one person so I don't need much space, and I hate doing outside work, but I don't want to flush money down the drain as a renter, lol.

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/4 16:24:24 )

A small cottage with a garden and not too many neighbours

So, basically, the house I live in now

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/4 16:34:48 )

I would like a house with 2-3 bedrooms and a small garden.

Voltie — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/4 17:16:40 )
Crappy apartment with weird roommates is the dream.
Goodbye Have a beautiful time!

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/4 17:17:03 )

As a former home owner, I can say that it's not all it's cracked up to be. Sure, you're paying into something you own, but the amount of money you dump into maintenance and repairs really adds up. =( Then there's taxes too to consider. Frankly I'm fine paying someone else rent and having those be someone else's problem.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/4 21:23:52 )

I look at Zillow/Redfin a lot.

I recently bought a house and I didn't know this, but the hot water heater and the furnace were out. I had to get a new one of each, and each cost me about $2,600. (Thank goodness for my rainy day fund, but now it's wiped out). I also need to change the toilet, the washer/dryer and some other smaller things.
My condo also needs A/C because the harsh summer comes along. I don't want my cat to overheat and I would like to be able to sleep at night.

But yeah like Nigel said, sometimes renting is a better deal than owning but it depends on a lot of factors like how long you will live there, taxes, cost of rent, cost of repairs, etc. I don't know if the housing market is on the edge of another collapse because of a few things, but mostly that you can't time the market and you have to buy for when it's good for you, and you are comfortable with the home payment. If my house lost a lot of value I wouldn't be upset and I am keep paying my monthly payment and I feel comfortable paying that amount.

However, I am paying more a little bit more for a one bedroom condo after taxes and HOA then I was for a one bedroom apartment.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/5 01:30:05 )
    If I could, I would like to own a house in the future, but that would be a good amount of years from now. xD I have zero idea what kind of house I'd want anymore... I just would like one. I also definitely don't want to be in a housing community with strict rules.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/5 02:17:15 )
I really like townhouses. I think that they are cute and allow for walkable communities.
A yard is nice but it’s a lot to take care of.

Donator — she/they Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/5 06:46:45 )
I accidentally got the house of my dreams and you can too!
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/5 17:05:11 )
Millet, spilling the tea:

I for sure fantasize on Zillow among other places.

Currently a home owner but the house is...not great. Lots of bad decisions made with this one. lol

1) It's a duplex, so it's quite small. Which isn't a big deal as it's only my fiance and I anyway but
wouldn't be optimal if we were to want to raise a family.

2) The other half of the duplex is owned by his parents. Which from the start I thought was a bad
idea to be wall to wall with family, but everyone talked me into it being a great idea and not to be a sore sport.
I was right. It's kinda miserable. Love them, sweet people! Close proximity no thank youuuuuu.
They are LOUD. They are ALWAYS screaming at eachother. I don't think they even love each other anymore and just sticklers for tradition at the cost of their own happiness. We are on entirely different schedules so they constantly wake us up. That and their dogs are very poorly trained, and they never walk their dogs. Just let them out side and shit in both of our yards without picking it up. The dogs will bark for half an hour every time a car drives by- including if we pull up home. ITS A NOISY NIGHTMARE lol
3) There's no stores within 20 minutes of us and commuting has been a pain I didn't anticipate would bug me this much to literally anywhere. It's an hour drive to work and an hour drive back home. orz

4) It's built so weird and I didn't realize it when first looking around. Like one night hte battery in our smoke detector was beeping off because it was dying but the smoke detector was on one of our high ceilings...that requires a giant ass ladder (like 20 feet) to get. We didnt own one and the stores near by didn't sell one so we had to wait three days for a expensive ass ladder to be delivered so we could change the battery. xD there's LOTS of weird little building choices like this throughout the house that don't make much sense and are challenging to work around. xD

Dream house, dream location won't ever happen RIP: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/fsba,fsbo_lt/house,condo,apartment_duplex,mobile,land_type/2086639562_zpid/4-_beds/1.5-_baths/1000-_size/Garage_att/pricea_sort/42.390121,-71.65472,42.167093,-71.88818_rect/11_zm/0_mmm/

and just for fun- the impossible millionaire only one: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Worcester-MA-01609/fsba,fsbo_lt/house,condo,apartment_duplex,mobile,land_type/56744098_zpid/58448_rid/4-_beds/1.5-_baths/1000-_size/Garage_att/pricea_sort/42.340084,-71.771021,42.22858,-71.887751_rect/12_zm/0_mmm/

(well first house isn't 'dream' location, but ideal location for work. I have high hopes to move to Canada someday.)

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/6 15:15:18 )
Millet:

I for sure fantasize on Zillow among other places.

Currently a home owner but the house is...not great. Lots of bad decisions made with this one. lol

1) It's a duplex, so it's quite small. Which isn't a big deal as it's only my fiance and I anyway but
wouldn't be optimal if we were to want to raise a family.

2) The other half of the duplex is owned by his parents. Which from the start I thought was a bad
idea to be wall to wall with family, but everyone talked me into it being a great idea and not to be a sore sport.
I was right. It's kinda miserable. Love them, sweet people! Close proximity no thank youuuuuu.
They are LOUD. They are ALWAYS screaming at eachother. I don't think they even love each other anymore and just sticklers for tradition at the cost of their own happiness. We are on entirely different schedules so they constantly wake us up. That and their dogs are very poorly trained, and they never walk their dogs. Just let them out side and shit in both of our yards without picking it up. The dogs will bark for half an hour every time a car drives by- including if we pull up home. ITS A NOISY NIGHTMARE lol
3) There's no stores within 20 minutes of us and commuting has been a pain I didn't anticipate would bug me this much to literally anywhere. It's an hour drive to work and an hour drive back home. orz

4) It's built so weird and I didn't realize it when first looking around. Like one night hte battery in our smoke detector was beeping off because it was dying but the smoke detector was on one of our high ceilings...that requires a giant ass ladder (like 20 feet) to get. We didnt own one and the stores near by didn't sell one so we had to wait three days for a expensive ass ladder to be delivered so we could change the battery. xD there's LOTS of weird little building choices like this throughout the house that don't make much sense and are challenging to work around. xD

Dream house, dream location won't ever happen RIP: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/fsba,fsbo_lt/house,condo,apartment_duplex,mobile,land_type/2086639562_zpid/4-_beds/1.5-_baths/1000-_size/Garage_att/pricea_sort/42.390121,-71.65472,42.167093,-71.88818_rect/11_zm/0_mmm/

and just for fun- the impossible millionaire only one: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Worcester-MA-01609/fsba,fsbo_lt/house,condo,apartment_duplex,mobile,land_type/56744098_zpid/58448_rid/4-_beds/1.5-_baths/1000-_size/Garage_att/pricea_sort/42.340084,-71.771021,42.22858,-71.887751_rect/12_zm/0_mmm/

(well first house isn't 'dream' location, but ideal location for work. I have high hopes to move to Canada someday.)

I've never sympathized with a post so much lol. I currently live with my sister, her husband and their two babies (my sweet nephews who I love dearly) in a tiny one bathroom house.

They're gross and lazy and have no respect for my stuff. The husband eats all my food, neither of them clean, no respect for my bedtime which is early bc I work two jobs.

God, I feel your pain.

Are duplexes bad in general you think? I'm thinking of renting one when I move later this year. I guess it depends on who your neighbor would be, but at the same time, it's half of a house all to yourself and I've seen some for $700 a month in the area I'm looking at.

Those are some cute homes!! I hope you find peace wherever you move next.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/6 16:11:42 )

@runner available: I think it's unfortunately just how ours was built. The walls are very thin and the houses built in this area were put up quite fast. So I dont think all duplexes are bad like mine but I'd def inquire for more details in that regard for sure.

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/7 02:56:19 )
I need to speak to your manager.

I used to look at zillow when trying to figure out whether buying a home was a reasonable option, but I quit browsing houses when I was offered to rent a place owned by a friend of the family. It would be half the cost of rent anywhere else in the city, so being desperate to move out but too poor to afford an apartment--much less buying a home lol--I naturally jumped on the opportunity. A year later, I'm still waiting on the needed repairs to be done so I can move in, and regretting it every step of the way. Not that I'd have had any other options anyway, with the waiting list for income-based rentals being as long as they are and everything requiring credit checks on top of costing me double what I can afford. Owning a home is a far-off dream not even worth consideration at this point in time; it'll take long enough just to have a place where I can choose my own bedspread.

If I do want to waste time dreaming about the probably impossible future, I'd like a storybook cottage with a green roof and a whole lot of garden, preferably surrounded by some trees. ...I'll take a thatched roof if a green roof isn't doable for whatever reason, and if I can't have trees, I at least want a lot of tall plants and vines. I'd be living with one other person, though we'd like kids someday if possible (another probably unrealistic time-waster of a dream), so while 2 bedrooms would be fine for a while, we'd definitely want at least a third. And if not a fourth to use as a studio, then a shed large enough to work in. I've always wanted a screened in porch, and a yard with some kind of barrier (I don't care if it's a fence or just really thick plant/tree growth) is a must. We only need one bathroom, though a second one wouldn't hurt. Wouldn't want more than that. Don't care if one story or two; if it had an attic or basement that could be converted to a studio, that could save us some hassle and space. Basically, enough room to comfortably house up to 3 people and some space to work in. And as much surrounding nature as possible. I still want neighbors, but I don't need them practically living in my yard. I have no desire for a pool or anything like that, but I'd love to be able to install some kind of water feature like a small pond or fountain. As for location, something a little closer to the coast but not actually on the beach, maybe close to a swamp/nature preserve, so I can have plenty of greenery while still being able to smell salt in the air.

But I guess for now I'll just keep waiting for my damn rental because it's all I've got.

This is unacceptable.

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/7 12:25:55 )

@THE HORROR: your dream house is basically the house I live in now, except for the roof. The roof you want makes the insurance go way up.
I live between 2 towns, 9 km away from the beach. It’s on walking distance from a supermarket and the town I grew up in.
The house is built in such a way that, if I sit in my garden, I can only see one house (and those people are hardly ever there since it’s their holiday home).
It has 3 bedrooms and a bathroom. One of the bedrooms is in the basement and I have a small attic.
My house is pretty much surrounded by trees and plants, so, from the road, it kind of looks like a house from a fairytale.
Part of my garden will be turned into a veggie garden again this year and I will have some more trees.

If I could buy a house, it would be this one.

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/8 11:24:45 )

@Tuijp: all right how many arms and legs do i have to give you to get into that house

This is unacceptable.

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/8 12:43:28 )

@THE HORROR: can you cook?

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/9 07:14:53 )

@Tuijp: As a matter of fact, I can. But nothing fancy.

This is unacceptable.

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/9 12:25:19 )

@THE HORROR: you’re in. I’ll make a bedroom ready, just bring your own pillow.

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/10 08:46:58 )

@Tuijp: tfw I just so happen to have a special fancy pillow I bought somewhat recently

This is unacceptable.
ALWAYS PING ME

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/10 12:37:10 )

@THE HORROR: then you’re ready to move in

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.