Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Artist Galleries first post saved for art resources

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/15 23:39:23 )

@Saeyra: Alright, went ahead and did so. :) Also put up the links you shared; thank you so much for them! I've known about a couple of these sites, but never actually did anything with them, lol. I checked out the others as well, and they've got me excited to try new things! I'm reconsidering my approach to these drawing habits I'm trying to build, but want to stick with what I started at least for the rest of the month, so at least I have a bit of time left to figure out what it is I want to do.

And yeah, I miss drawing from live models. Like, photos are great and whatnot, but they can feel flat at times, unfortunately. :c
I think it's great that you do that, though! Even if they move a lot, I feel that that might help a bit in trying to lay down lines faster, at the very least? Maybe when I'm a bit more confident with what I'm doing, I'll try that too. :)
Aahhh not sure if I'm saying this right, but I love how you expressed this?
:
I wanna capture their lifelikeness if that makes sense. I wanna practice making believeable people with weight, life and character.
Like, it makes me feel like you're really passionate about this, and in turn it motivates me? Aaahhh I hope that's not weird
I worry a lot about coming across that way, lol x.x

@Valefor: I'm glad you think so! And I totally encourage you to do so, if you have the time! :D
And feel free to share, as well! Would love to see where people are at and how they see things. :)

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/16 00:51:58 )

@Apollo Im Burning: I am glad the links help you. I think there is something different with the way the camera captures every detail while the eye captures only the important information. The upside of photos is you are not panicked to draw fast before the model moves but its also a crutch that holds you back from speeding up and lets you get caught up in the details.

Haha yes I am super passionate about learning and improving. Its not weird at all! You are inspiring me to draw too! I was considering sneaking another page of models in between work today. For me the biggest deterrent is putting away the traditional tools I use for work and pulling out my tablet and then putting away the tablet and pulling out all the traditional tools again.

Donator — Any Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/16 02:57:02 )
》::: ✿・`.*
hey this is super cool
i stopped drawing and i should probs get back into it but i hate my work so much so i just pitch it and get upset
*.`・✿ ::: 《
Please ping me!

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/16 18:49:34 )

@Saeyra: That makes sense. I have noticed that I do get hung up on the details a bit, so one of the things I'm considering doing is shortening the allotted time for each sketch. I don't know why I picked 10 minutes to begin with, haha.

I think that's really great, though! And I'm happy to hear that. :)
I feel you so much on having to switch between mediums. @.@ Is there a reason you can't just do them traditionally, though? o:

@milkdaddy: I'm glad you think so! :D
The decision is totally up to you, but I say that you should go for it!
I can understand how you feel, though. :c What is it that you don't like about it, if you don't mind me asking?

Btw, I love your avatar!

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/16 20:34:01 )

@Apollo Im Burning: I'm currently using my sketchbook as a pallette for mixing powdered pastels. If I flip the page all the powders go *poof* why is traditional so messsyyy :vanora_cry: adding another sketchbook on my table full of tools and papers is also a pain in the butt. So I gotta be a good girl and focus on one thing at a time haha.

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/17 03:33:11 )
@Apollo im burning: Thank you! Mostly better and hope to make some doodles tonight. I've been mostly posting them on Twitter/Instagram, and then upload them to my art thread in small bursts.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/17 18:31:56 )

@Saeyra: Oh wow, I've never worked with those before. o: Are they hard to use?
(currently watching a vid on them and wow, considering they don't seem to stick to whatever you're drawing on that well, I'd be anxious about it going everywhere. xD) Do you have your traditional work anywhere, by the way? Or is it something you can show? o: I think I've only seen your digital stuff.

@Addy: That's good to hear. :)
Do you mind sharing your instagram? I was looking through your twitter trying to find art, but it was a bit hard with all the RTs nun;;;;;
also omg??! I love your sketchbook!
Lastly, your Gengar is super cute. x)

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/17 19:11:41 )
@apollo im burning: ahh yeah my Twitter is kind of a cesspool unless you just go to the media tab haha... Sorry!!

My IG is Addark also, I think the url is Instagram.com/addark/ but I could be mistaken (I don't use that a ton)

Thank you for the kind words too ahhh ;www;

Have you made any progress in your daily draws yet?

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/17 19:18:01 )

@Apollo Im Burning: I usually dont take pictures of my traditional work cos the camera somehow doesn't capture it properly. The colors kinda look really washed out and sometimes makes it look flat. I apply the pastel to the piece using stiff brushes for more control.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/17 19:23:01 )

I'm just gonna butt on in here. =3

@saeyra: That's really good! I always liked pastels, but I prefer oil to chalk because it's pretty messy. ^^;;; As for taking pictures of your art, sometimes you gotta throw it in photoshop for color correction, just like any other photo. =/

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/17 19:46:24 )

@Priestess of Pie: I started doing portraits in charcoal so chalk pastels were more comfortable to learn next. Haha yeah they are so so messy! But all paints and stuff are pretty much just as messy. All the fun things..
I have never tried oil pastels with the brush technique though. Maybe one day when I have time I will give it a shot.

Yeah..I haven't figured out how to light the picture right..flash is just bad, sunlight is too strong..warm light messes with the colors..indoor sunlight with a sheer curtain so far has been the best...

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/18 00:23:15 )

@Addy: It's all good, haha. :)
And yeah, that was it, thanks! :D
Looking at your ink pieces, and it gets me to thinking of how terrified I'd be of messing up. xD Are you pretty confident working with that medium? o:
As for my own progress, I would for sure say that I can at least get the general outline down faster? xD
In all seriousness, though, I guess I can say that my proportions are still somewhat wonky. However, I realize that I'm not going to instantly improve, so as long as I keep at it, I'm happy.

@Saeyra: Woah woah woah, that looks SUPER AMAZING??! Like, woooow, lol. How long did that take you?
Seriously, so good. xD Just gonna keep looking over it. x)

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/18 01:06:17 )

@Apollo Im Burning: Thanks man. I take about a week for a colored couple. Maybe longer? Sometimes it works out on the first try. Sometimes I trash a couple of pieces of paper before it works out. :vanora_smile: No ctrl z so gotta start over from scratch if I accidentally get a wet spot or sneeze on the paper.

Donator — she/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/18 03:06:50 )

@Apollo im burning: I would love to! Espeically with traditional art. I sort of just stopped when I made the switch over to digital art. ^^; Plus, it would give me a reason to use the sketchbooks I hoard when I buy them on sale. xDD

I've been seeing two art challenges called the 100 Heads Challenge and the 500 Hands Challenge by Ahmed Aldoori a lot on instagram. I really wish I could have know about it sooner espeically since I was on winter break from classes! But unfortunately, I literally noticed it this week (my last week of break too). ; o; I was thinking about doing the hands challenge but probably not within the week that's mentioned LOL. I wouldn't be able to do it since my break is over. But I could work on it during the weekends!

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/18 04:03:18 )
@apollo im burning: Ahh thank you!! I used to think I'd be really afraid of traditional inks but I've been having such a hard time with digital inks I went back to my roots, haha. It's not so bad when you get some practice in, and it's easier than you'd think to hide your mistakes sometimes! (The one of Baroness Von Bon Bon, there's three actually pretty large mistakes but I just made the lines thicker and ... nobody can tell, lol!)

Proportions are among the hardest to get down right. It's an eternal struggle. ;w; I gotta do more basics again tbh, it's been a looong time for me.

@saeyra: I'll be honest, at first glance that looks like a photo. You did such a good job with that, omg!

@valefor: I've been meaning to do a .. 100 hand challenge, now I feel like that's inadequate ahaha. I might have to do something like that soon!

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/18 06:46:31 )

@Addy: Aww thanks man. It doesnt always turn out that good but that's one of my better ones.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/18 16:54:41 )

Saeyra:
Anonymous:
No ctrl z so gotta start over from scratch if I accidentally get a wet spot or sneeze on the paper.
I feel this so much, oh gee, lol.
How big is that piece, btw? o:
EDIT: alsdjfsdjf well, since I've asked the others, and can't remember if I asked you, how long have you been doing art? o:

@Valefor: How long ago was that? o: And how long have you been drawing in general, if you don't mind me asking?
asljfsldjf I have a few sketchbooks I should be using myself, but I went out and bought copy paper instead. xD
! Those two challenges seem interesting; I should check them out! Thanks for mentioning them! :)
And as long as you're doing them, I don't think it should matter how long it takes you to complete them. o:

@Addy: What is it exactly that you'd say you're struggling with? o:
Also, I went back to look at it, and I think I see a couple, but yeah, if you hadn't mentioned it, I definitely wouldn't have known. xD
Btw how long have you been drawing for?

pls don't

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/18 23:40:35 )
@apollo im burning: i am just NEVER satisfied with my digital lineart. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but despite everything it never quite works out how I want it to lol

I've been drawing since I was a little kid but not really more seriously until middle school when I started developing OCs and stuff. I also went to college for illustration which helped a bit but now I work in IT haha... But I still have plans for a lot of projects, it's definitely not over! So, in short, like 25 years generally but 18 years more "seriously." probably 10 years for actual serious art progression. ;w;

How about you? (sorry if I missed this somewhere already aaa)
pls ping me, ty!!

TURN OFF THE SUN // PULL THE STARS FROM THE SKY

quest | etc

Donator — she/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/19 03:03:59 )

@Addy: Nah, I feel the same way. But I just...never do it or get sidetracked I forget about it completely. xD If you have the time you should! More practice definitely wouldn't hurt. c:

@Apollo im burning: I bought my first drawing tablet...back in 2011, i think. But I've been drawing all my life, stick figures and all. xD I got more serious about art a few years before 2011 and that's when a friend convinced me to get a drawing tablet. c:

I remember so much copy paper to draw as a kid. xD Good times lol. But yea...I am so bad when it comes to using sketchbooks. It's fun when you catch a sale but not when you end up hoarding a bunch and stashing them away. ^^;
    And yeah, of course! You should try those two challenges if you can. I know for the heads challenge he also has a pinterest with a bunch of references images too if you don't feel like gathering your own. c: But yep! I'm gonna try and see if I can start one this weekend and not be too worried about the time limit like you said. c: I'll leave that to all the folks looking for a challenge xD
(ง •̀_•́)ง

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/19 04:09:34 )

@Apollo Im Burning: Ah the piece is about A3 size. I use A3 for couples and A4 for individuals.

I drew and colored as long as I could remember. My older sister was always doing it so my little sister and I would copy her. My mom loved making up stories with us and encouraged us to illustrate our stories. She would hang them all over the wall until the scotch tape she used would lose its hold and fall off. Then she would bind them and keep them in a huge box.
When I started taking it seriously and got a teacher I was about 16. He taught me the basics of charcoal, oil, pastels, and watercolors. I mostly practiced painting my family and pets at first, then moved on to teaching myself digital photo manipulation for fun. I mixed those two and tada we have digital art!

Always ping me please.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.