Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Adulting and technology /flails/

Donator — she, her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/30 21:34:35 )
Here in the darkness I know myself

I just got an email from a potential employer and I have 48hrs to set up and recorded a video interview. I’m wiggin.

What happened to meeting someone in person and having anxiety about it then in the moment?

Lol. Has anyone had a video interview? Any tips?
Can\'t break free until I let it go.
Let me go..

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/30 21:38:01 )
I've had an interview over FaceTime!

My tips are-
pay attention to what is on your walls in the background
pay attention to your background noise
pick a place with good lighting
and set up your device with a good angle

Your situation is a little different since you're recording and submitting it though. Write down what you want to say and practice it on video.

Donator — she, her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/30 22:12:35 )
Here in the darkness I know myself

@mousy: Thank you!
I’m already setting up the corner I want to do the interview in.

I’m confused about the recording aspect as well, I thought there would be another person on the screen. With out someone’s facial/tone it’s harder to see if it’s going well if that makes sense?
Can\'t break free until I let it go.
Let me go..

Foever in my heart
Spookums 11/25/18
Angus 6/23/19
Mom 6/29/19
Dad 11/29/2021

Donator — she/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/30 22:13:42 )
Wow! I"m sure you'll do great but its understandable that you'd be a little nervous ahead of time.

I've never done an interview that wasn't in person but I can imagine that it depends upon the type of job you're applying for. Tech jobs don't need to be in person, marketing or PR jobs either and it would make sense that they'd want to see how you play on camera.

I'd actually be pretty excited about a video interview because it would mean that the employer embraces technology and possibly flexible work environments. :)

Good luck to you!

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/30 22:34:37 )
That makes perfect sense! Did they give you any question prompts to go on for the recording?
Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/31 02:49:54 )
Hey good luck on your interview! I hope you land that job!

I've done a video interview before (yeah, a recorded one without an actual person on the other side) - and here are my tips for you!
-I agree that good lighting and no background noise is important. Make sure to dress the part too (at least, halfway).
-Know the logistics of your video interview. When I did mine, I wasn't allowed to re-record or even review my videos. I was only given a limited amount of time to think about the question, and then a limited amount of time to answer it. Know how your video interview is going to work so you know how to prepare!
-Practice answering generic interview questions on your own camera and record it yourself. Then playback your videos - note how you look, where your eyes go. It's important to look at the camera ("make eye contact"), and not at your screen/notes. A lot of people look very nervous on camera, and it's very noticeable. It can also help to show it to a friend and see what they think.
-It's a bit awkward, talking to yourself on camera. During your practices, I'd recommend having someone sit behind your camera so you can pretend that you're talking to them instead of the computer (and then you can still record yourself and watch it afterward). This can help you make your answers sound more natural, and less forced. The other person can also give you feedback if they felt that it was awkward to listen to your answers.
-Make notes on things you want to mention during your interview - this can help you plan out your answers to questions faster (and within a limited amount of time). But don't read off your notes while on camera! Put them away once you start recording.
-Time how long it takes for you to answer your practice questions. Come up with a long answer and a short answer - it's possible that you will only have a limited time to answer the question during your actual interview. You want to use up a good chunk of that time, but not go over it!
-As with real interviews, there may be a question that you have difficulty answering. You may have to start recording before you're really ready. Try to treat it the same way as an in-person interview. You can pause, say something that shows that you're thinking about it. The worst thing you can do is stare at the table and say nothing for like half the recording time. You wouldn't do that in real life, so try to pretend like you're conversing with someone.
-Don't forget that you can still use hand gestures on camera haha.

Ok now for my rant
I can honestly say that I really don't prefer recorded video interviews over person-to-person interviews. Skype/video chat interviews are ok. Phone interviews are ok. Recorded interviews feel less like a conversation and more like an exam. You're just answering questions, not having a discussion. I didn't feel like I was talking to someone, and that made me more nervous, even though I'm a very introverted and antisocial person. And the thought of the interviewer being able to rewatch your video several times and nitpick everything you say... that's really nerve-wracking to me. I have a lot of interview experience so I'm usually pretty comfortable, but recording that video gave me some major anxiety. Not a fan...

452/500

Donator — sheep Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/31 03:16:52 )
I've never done a video interview before, but my sister used to have classes online where she had to video chat her classmates during the class time.

She had a changing screen thing set up behind her so no one could see the hundreds of posters on our bedroom walls, and she didn't allow the cats in the room during class time. It's all about making your space look professional and limit the distractions around you.

@ me to get my attention or I probably won't respond

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.