Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Lack Of Motivation

Voltie — Moody Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/24 19:35:30 )

Batsy Says. . .

Anyone else struggling with lack of motivation to get things done?
For me I have been struggling a lot lately with motivation to do art.
Like I'm not burnt out or anything. I rarely do enough art to get burnt out.
But it's like...I have no real goal to push myself to get better. I have everything I need to study
to get better but i just...don't do it??

Idk maybe im afraid of failing in art? even though i fail in art 24/7 :vanora_sweat:

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/24 20:07:38 )

I sometimes lack the motivation as well. For example I create something for the sims but then when I have to make previews of it and upload it I stop. And then it sits in my folder for weeks finished.

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/24 20:18:05 )

I think that everyone goes through this. I mean, who finishes everything that they set out to do? Or finished every idea they have ever had?

Voltie — Moody Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/24 20:19:51 )

Batsy Says. . .

@Vengeance:Yeah that is understandable.
I might just be unmotivated to do studies.
like i am planning to do muscle/bone structure studies for my art
and color studies but i am just so not motivated to do it lol.

@Totalanimefan: Well, I'd like to at least finish one idea.

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/24 20:21:22 )

@MoodyBats: You finish things you set your mind to all the time, it's just hard to notice because you have to do them.

Voltie — Moody Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/24 20:26:21 )

Batsy Says. . .

@Totalanimefan: No i really don't finish things lol XD

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/24 20:45:06 )

@MoodyBats: Right now I am working on a sims couch recolour. I already got a pattern version done but I also wanne do a solid colour one. But I feel like nothing looks right. So I'm not sure if it ever get's finished.

Have you thought about watching video's about those subject. Video's can be less boring.

Voltie — Moody Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/24 21:00:22 )

Batsy Says. . .

@vengeance: Ah, I know those feels.
But not with sims furniture. I don't have sims but man i'd love to. XD

I'm having a hard time finishing this headshot. Like...I can't figure out what type of clothes to draw on her.
as well as coloring her hair. I've never colored hair. and doing all of this in grayscale too, in order to keep an eye on my values.

I got nothing but speed paints on my youtube watch list. which vary from 8 minutes to over 2 hours. :vanora_sweat:

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/24 21:04:02 )

@MoodyBats: I had the full Sims 1 collection XD Also played Sims 2 and then I skipped to Sims 4.

Go buy coke and some chips and watch those speed paints videos XD

Voltie — Moody Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/24 21:08:26 )

Batsy Says. . .

@vengeance: Ah I think the one i want is sims 4.
I can't remember lol.

Well today is a lazy day. Might as well watch at least some productive videos.
I also have over 200 speed paints saved on my art playlist.
my watch list has 246 vidoes. :vanora_shock:

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/24 21:17:45 )

That's a whole lot of videos.

Donator — Minya Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/24 21:34:46 )

This is why I have so many different hobbies. When I am not motivated to draw, I can do knitting. When I don't feel like knitting, I can do writing.

There are times when I don't feel motivated to do any of them and just read for days on end.

Voltie — Moody Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/24 21:37:54 )

Batsy Says. . .

@vengeance: Haha yeah. XD the hour ones i always put off because their so long.
But i know their so informative.

@The youngest granny: That's awesome to have more than one hobby.
i really should do that. I use to write but might get back into it.
I'd love to pick up knitting. Or sewing. I do have a sewing machine. I should really try to do a different hobby
once in a while.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/25 05:33:41 )
For me, I usually dip into low motivation when I lose sight of the bigger picture. I become too focused on the task at hand or I fail too many times, and then I forget what it was that I truly wanted out of it. This is especially true when the end goal is so far into the future that the lack of immediate gratification is a de-motivator.

Why am I here? Why am I doing this? What do I really want out of this?

Sometimes in the midst of it all, I forget that I'm doing what I'm doing because I enjoy it. When motivation is low, it becomes like a chore. So I try to free myself from it. In the context of art for example, I step away from what I was working on. Start on a blank sheet of paper and just draw - draw to just draw, draw because I like to draw and not because I'm forcing myself to - the way it should be.

312/500

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/25 05:44:56 )
@MoodyBats: Finish making the bed, then you will have finished something lol
By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — Moody Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/25 05:53:03 )
@Totalanimefan: you may be waiting a long time. :vanora_sweat:
But i made excellent progress with my drawing.
Now I am really loving it.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/25 08:53:52 )

@MoodyBats: Starting is 90% of the battle. Thats what my mom says. Get your materials out, put on some music and draw the first line. Before you know it you are chugging along

Alot of art is pure trial and error, sometimes we don't have a finished picture in our head. If you are stuck make a new layer and scribble something, you might like it, you might not. If you don't like it try again. Its like kids picking themselves up when they fall. They dust themselves off and continue playing. With digital there is alot of room to make mistakes without ruining the whole picture. Imagine back in the old days where you had to scrap a painting if you made too many mistakes and start again haha. In the end just relaaaax and have fun. As long as your hand is drawing, you are improving so keep that hand moving.

Voltie — Moody Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/25 19:11:09 )
@xirin: tbh I've been struggling to understand WHY I am drawing.
So I've been working on changing why I am. I first started because i just wanted to design dresses lmao.

I have so many art pieces that when i get stuck on one, I work on another.
Though it's not my drawings I have issues with. but the actual studying of art lmao.
But I worked hard on my drawing yesterday so I think it's going better.

And I bought a new sketchbook that is bigger for my studies.
And just gonna try to have fun with it.

@Saeyra: Aint that the truth. XD Yeah I have to remind myself "art is basically trial and error."
I always make new layers. But i forget to click on the new layer sometimes lmao.
I never scrap any of my art though. Because it's how I can tell how much I have improved. Even by a few days or weeks.
I normally do not spend all day on my art. Or even all night.
I often have tons of chores so i can only spend a few hours before bed time after my chores.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/25 19:23:51 )

@MoodyBats: Yeah I know how that feels... all you can do is try your best Don't worry, art is not a race. You don't have to keep up or beat anyone. Art is more finding the way you like to draw and perfecting it the way only you can. I wish you all the luck in the world and one day I hope to see you succeed!

Always ping me please.

Voltie — Moody Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/25 20:28:33 )
@Saeyra: for me i have my own set goals.
which is to finish just one art piece. ONE.

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.