Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Themed Weddings

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/11 01:55:56 )
Thoughts on themed weddings? I have nerdy friends who had a Lord of the Rings-style wedding. Like their wedding bands are actual reproductions of The One Ring. And they have friends who just had a Star Wars themed wedding.

I think it's awesome that people do this kind of thing. You're lucky if you find someone you have so much in common with. But I can imagine some people's families would be totally against it and throw a fit. My wife and I eloped so we could avoid all the hassle of other people telling us what we should and shouldn't do, and later a friend told us how much she envied us and wished she could have done that, because her mother and about-to-be mother-in-law were vying for control of everything and turning it into a mess.

Have you had a themed wedding? Would you? How do you think your friends and family would react?

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/11 02:21:25 )
@Elithiya: That's cool! Sounds like it'll be a blast and have a little something for everyone. ^^

My family is overly concerned with how people think of us (hoity-toity!) so I knew that would be a nightmare. So we just went to the courthouse and got our papers instead, no fuss. Then we got a reservation for dinner at a nice restaurant, showed up in jeans and T-shirts, and my wife's dad paid for everything. lol Turned out just fine for us. I hope I get invited to a themed wedding some time, though. That would be fun.

Donator — They/them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/11 03:33:50 )

themed weddings look like fun.
i was thinking about having a alice in wonderland themed wedding,
more of a mad hatter's tea party than a wedding.
my friends thought it was a great idea.
too bad it's not gunna happen since i got broken up with.

tho maybe i could still have a mad hatters tea party eventually, just without the wedding aspect. :vanora_sweat:
(Avatar Closet)

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/11 06:55:19 )
I find themed weddings awesome tbh
Especially fantasy themed (rip GoT themed ones though)
I think it might just add more fun to the whole thing instead of ''now we just have to wait for the food part''
Never been to/had one though.
But yes, they seem a lot of fun, gives a lot of opportunity to add original stuff to it instead of the same standard over and over again.
(not saying non themed weddings can't be nice though, inb4 :') )
Sorry if Reply late!
Please ping me!

Questing

Voltie — she/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/11 07:29:57 )
"ahoy,

i think themed weddings are fun, esp if you're really into the theme
honestly though it'll just depend on the couple and as long as they enjoy the wedding that's the most important

i've never had nor been to one though
personally i wouldn't like to have an explicitly themed. i would be down though for a vaguely themed wedding, like decor inspired by a theme. for example, i think i would like something resembling tangled and the lantern scene at my wedding, so i would do like a purple and gold color scheme and have lanterns hanging from ceilings and along the aisle. so not explicitly themed but you can see it if someone mentions it. i think my family and friends would be fine with it; i want to have a very small wedding anyway, so if they don't like it they're not invited

matey!"

by anarchist beauty
quest // closet

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/11 09:27:47 )
Our theme was also not stressing! We even had to push our date back because someone forgot to invite his family....
Basically I let my mum buy me a dress and him a tux, we showed up at a park we absolutely did not rent, and everyone we knew brought chicken.
Cue the "Chicken for days" song.
So.... maybe our theme was actually chicken..?
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/11 13:31:49 )

Yeah I would have loved to have had a themed wedding but unfortunately we were trying to stay within a budget. So we booked a really cozy old timey restaurant that looked like a 13th century tavern and that was about it! XD Oh I did wear the Lord of the Rings necklace that I found at a comic con. And that was themed enough for me. XD

Always ping me please.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.