Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat I need to stop buying plants.

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/20 13:26:29 )

@nyreen: flower shops are way more relaxed than retail in general. I know because I worked in both.

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/20 15:05:59 )

Really tho there are much worse things to be addicted to. xD

Your plant family looks lovely, and very healthy! Good job! ^-^ we just got a little ivy yesterday to freshen up the air in our home. 8D plants are wonderful.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/20 16:15:39 )
@Tuijp: I live in Quebec tho and French is mandatory for a job. I picked up more as a cashier and managed bc my former work was in s
a predominantly English area. But if I went to work in a flower shop and barely spoke French regardless of the relaxing environment, I'm going to end up in a stressful situation bc some folks take it really personally when you aren't fluent. I've had folks follow me yelling I don't deserve a job and I need to know French to work and folks just berating me. And even had a customer for a few months who seemed to seek me out on purpose to ask me questions bc she knew I struggled with French. :vanora_sweat:

I've had one women asking me why I even got hired. They literally don't care. It's almost like I'm less human. It's kinda sad bc if I didn't have that job I would have been broke and starving but all the folks that harassed me saw was an obnoxious person who wasn't fluent so I wasn't good enough for a job. And I've had customers ask me to repeat things so they could laugh at my accent lmao.

I'm working in an English youth club rn so I never have to deal with that anymore.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/20 16:17:03 )
@Vii: Ohhh how cute! And yeah I love my little plant babies

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/20 16:20:27 )

@nyreen: Dude, I'm so sorry that everyone is so rude to you just because you don't speak French perfectly (they're no better if they can't speak English anyway). Nobody should be treated as less than human and especially not for such an asinine reason. Glad you don't have to deal with that anymore tho! And you get to come home and breathe deeply with your plant fam c:

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/20 16:29:08 )
@Vii: Yeah, it's weird. The culture here is very meh. I use to date this guy who lived on the middle of nowhere and if we walked down the street, folks would stare at us and sometimes folks passing in cars would yell at us for speaking English. We even had a waitress treat us like crap because she didn't want to speak English. And two random guys yell at me and my family as we were walking to a voting station near my house, yelling at us to speak French only in Quebec. It's just obnoxious. Get over it. :vanora_sweat:

Anyways yeah! I don't have to have anxiety over those people anymore and I get to work with youth which is what I love.

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/20 16:31:47 )

@nyreen: I've wanted to live in Montréal for several years now, but now I'm like...well shoot I don't want to be crucified for speaking English. xD I thought Canadians were all sunshine and roses darnit!

That's good, tho! It's awesome you're able to do something you're passionate about, and that you're helping those in need. <3

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/20 16:42:44 )
@Vii: There's a lot of really wonderful people here and I love it here but some parts are just very very alienating. It depends where you go. There are very large English communities scattered all over but then completely French ones that'll ostracize you if you aren't fluent.

We also have two known growing alt-right, nazi, white nationalist groups from Quebec City that have been coming into the city more. They've been having rallies and walks through the city, while being protected by police and kept safe from supposedly "violent anti-fa".

There was a hunt recently for a known neo-nazi guy who was recruiting; http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/alt-right-in-montreal-anti-fascists-ramp-up-fight-against-neo-nazis

Actually there were a series of articles highlighting the important of anti-fa and the danger of the police protecting known white nationalist Nazis, this being one; http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/alt-right-in-montreal-anti-fascists-ramp-up-fight-against-neo-nazis

Surprised it was on the front page tbh. And that the Montreal Gazette published any of the articles online.

People have seen Soldiers of Odin ( one group ) in the gay village and elsewhere that's supposed to be safe. It's scary. My friend was stabbed in a LGBT+ friendly bar by neo-nazis when they realized he was gay. The bar use to be a spot for gangs. So. Fun stuff.

Anyways.. plants are nice.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/20 18:12:26 )
@nyreen: They need a good home ;o
Call me ping me if you wanna reach me

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/20 18:27:51 )

@nyreen: also, I keep misreading the title of thread as "I need to stop buying pants"

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/20 19:55:11 )

@nyreen: Gosh, I didn't know there was such a growing NN issue up there D: I mean I know it's not perfect but when you live in the US, places like Canada seem like Utopia xD I'd still love to go. The city is gorgeous and I need to have some poutine! And yes, plants are nice. They don't judge c':

@Tuijp: No pants, no problem B)

[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Donator — hot bread Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/20 19:56:32 )
@nyreen:
Tiny baby hands roaming with cacti in the house just seems like a bad idea.

Sig art by me
Pixel base :www.deviantart.com/keimichi

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/20 20:29:36 )

@Vii: let me take mine off then
Wait, wut?

Donator — squid Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/20 21:11:26 )
@nyreen: Sedum rubrotinctum.
Just your friendly neighbourhood Goddess.

Voltie — he/him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/20 21:14:11 )

I love owning plants... unfortunately the house I live in now is too dark and cold, even with the blinds open so I stopped trying to bring many home. the only plants I have right now are an english ivy and an aloe. the moment I move I'm going to have a total kitchen garden though ;'3c
later.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/20 21:45:33 )

We hardly have any plant at home. One part of our house get's lots of sun so all plants are dying there :(

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/21 03:33:26 )
@Tuijp: lmao XD

@Vii: oh it's defs worth a visit and you're going to meet tons of super nice and awesome people here
call me grem
they/them

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.