Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat le spice rack

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/10 20:41:00 )

I'm just sitting here at my desk, staring at my spice rack.
Now that I own a cricut I can make the cute labels for my spices that I've been wanting to do.

But I haven't had them labelled in a few months

GUESS
THAT
SPICE

which spice is what?

you dont have to I'm just having a laugh

in order (all are powders or flakes, just the photo makes them look weird)

Rosemary, Garlic, turmeric, onion powder
sage, pepper flakes, ginger, cumin
basil, mustard, paprika, chipotle chili powder

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/10 21:34:37 )
rosemary- garlic/onion powder - tumeric - diced onion
sage? (can't see it well) - clove? - cumin? - coriander?
(can't tell) - ginger - (can't tell) - (can't tell)

XD

Which cricut did you get?

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/10 22:25:31 )

@Wildfire:

Gosh you're so close on these!! I had to recruit my husband's help, but yeah definitely got garlic, onion, rosemary, turmeric, cumin, mustard, chipotle chili powder, paprika, ginger, sage, chili flakes, basil.
I use these all frequently in dishes but often just... go based on smell rather than knowing what it actually is LOL

I got the maker 3! Do you use a cricut/other cutter machine?

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/10 22:27:43 )
    Oh man I thought the second one was just like….. potato chips…. in a spice rack. Mmmm my favourite spice

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/10 22:44:01 )
@Jolly: LOL! I cook... so... uhhh... I better know my spices! XD It's hard to tell with a lot of them with that photo though... and, of course, without the ability to see or smell them myself! XD

LOL - I just have the Cricut Joy, but a friend has other machines that I have pretty much unlimited access to if I want to use them or need more functionality than the Joy provides. It's a fun little toy :3

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/10 22:50:57 )

@Wildfire:
Yeah some of them are kinda shaken up in the jars so it makes it cloudy or odd shapes XD
Some of the powders have also hardened in there? I think having it right next to the stove might have gotten them all wonky, so I need to sift them once I'm done labeling to break em up

@sunny:
LOL at a second look I see where it looks like chips! Its powder, but its just weirdly shaped being in a glass jar like that

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/10 22:56:01 )
@Jolly: Yes, the heat and inevitable humidity from being near the stove will affect the clumping, etc. of the spices. :3 Depending on the spices, you might want to do something like add a few pieces of uncooked rice to the jar (like you do with salt) to absorb the moisture and provide a means for keeping the spice from clumping...

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/10 23:42:08 )

@Wildfire:
:O
I did not know this! I have tons of rice, I'll give this a try. Thank you!!

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/10 23:53:49 )

Jolly:

I'm just sitting here at my desk, staring at my spice rack.
Now that I own a cricut I can make the cute labels for my spices that I've been wanting to do.

But I haven't had them labelled in a few months

GUESS
THAT
SPICE

which spice is what?

you dont have to I'm just having a laugh

fun game!!!

ricey spice thing i forgot the name of thats almost like a seed. , garlic or onion powder, curry?, idk dark onion powder

black pepper, red pepper flakes, cinammon?, tumeric? i have forgotten the name of the spice i put in chilli

coffee? xD idk, more garlic, everything is garlic, though maybe ginger, brown sugar, tea xD

i don't know spices , clearly.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/11 01:43:26 )
i have no idea what these spices are and i'm too afraid to ask because my british sinuses will begin malfunctioning if i do.
please ping me for the love of god.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/11 12:33:10 )
@Jolly: lol. You're welcome. It's ultimately better for the spices to not be so close to the stove, but I don't find that to be realistic for when I'm cooking. Most of my spices are in a cabinet next to the stove /shrug/. And the rice thing obviously depends on the type of jar/openings for the spice to come out of... you probably don't want to be dumping random pieces of rice in to whatever you're cooking! XD

It was weirdly satisfying to guess at those spices, btw... XD

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/11 14:34:18 )

@Shadami:
You got some of them!! XD
answers are in the 3rd post!

I'm not as great with spices either. I rely on smelling them to see if they fit the dish, more than I'd know their names. Which always works out great!
I only know to buy them if a recipe tells me to tho

@Feral:
LOL

*sneezes*

@Wildfire:
YEAH like I thought about moving them away from the stove, but there's really... nowhere else to put them other than the dining table XD
its a nice sized kitchen for being an apartment, but its not huge by any means (perfect for me tho).

XD GOOD
hoped my silly predicament can be fun

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/11 14:38:35 )

Those answers in post three aren't in order are they?

But I couldn't remember the name of cumin xD
I dont tend to cook with sage or basil by itself so I don't know what they look like. XD
And never cooked with mustard I think...

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/11 14:44:25 )

@Shadami:
They aren't, I should put the order in XD
The labels I made are in a FFXIV font that is hard to read if you're not used it, so Ill just type it out into the main post in a sec!

I had to ask why we had mustard, but my husband uses that a lot for his chicken gumbo sloppy joe things he makes (super delicious)

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/11 14:47:15 )
@Jolly: Ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes! XD

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/11 15:02:12 )

@Jolly: hehe. it would help for it to be in order xD
it was a fun little mini game testing my knowledge though <3

i'm actually pretty sure i have an ancient mustard sed or something in my spice cabinet. i just have not used it xD

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/12 21:30:48 )
    I love to label things, and I've taken over one of the cupboards with all the spices I have.
    My poor partner had only a handful of spices before they met me.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/12 21:35:32 )
Must.have.spices!!
... ALL the spices!
Food is boring without spices.

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/13 19:32:12 )

i need to find a chinese five spice. T.T Mine is almost out (and has 7 spices which amuses me)

Currently recovering from large amounts of PTSD. I'll post when I can, please ping for replies. Things are very difficult for me right now.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/14 00:48:20 )
    I just started making my own spice mixes because I had most of the basics.
    My partner thinks it's funny because they would just buy the mix outright, but sometimes they add too much salt which can be kind of a downer.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.