Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk TIL that urinary tract infections can cause hallucinations

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/13 19:43:04 )
The bacteria in a UTI feed off the body's supply of sodium, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium. When the bacteria deplete electrolytes in the urine, the brain doesn't function as well. Which can result in delirium, hallucinations and hypotension.
This reaction is extremely rare in health people but isn't uncommon in the elderly, immune impaired, and those who are underweight or suffer from malnutrition. People who have pelvic prolapse have been known to get these symptoms from a UTI.

The body is wild sometimes.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/13 22:29:33 )

I just dealt with a UTI recently... twice. I had a full blown case of it, got meds pretty easy on an online source (angels, that team) and worked through it.
Was fine thru a menstrual cycle thinking I was in the clear.
then a week later I got UTI again.
Used extra meds and I'm good now, but man I dont recommend it!!

Found that it was most likely caused by a serious sweat buildup. I've been dealing with the texas heatwave and the ac in my job is broken, so I spend 11 hours of my day sweating inside a giant metal box that sits 88-90 degrees F. Under LED lamps that cant be turned off.

Thankfully no delirium symptoms
I get those from the heat exhaustion

May get a portable bidet for work after this experience~!

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/13 23:17:49 )
Yep, happens a lot with old people (I work with them for a living). A lot of times when we recognize that their behavior is off, we can narrow it down to a UTI. Not always the case, thankfully.
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.